none
Domain admin group denied access RRS feed

• Question

•  I joined my Windows 7 computer to my 2003 domain. The group Domain Admins was added to local Administrators group as it should but I still do not seem to have full access rights to the computer when logging on with an account that is a member of the Domain Admins group. For example I cannot access the c:\documents and settings folder. I also cannot install software remotely, ie.. virus software deployment.  I recieve an error staing that I must use an account that is part of the administrators group. Any idea why domain admin rights are not being honored.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 4:31 PM

Answers

• Windows 7 works the same way as Windows Vista. Administrator accounts do not normally run with administrator privileges until you elevate whatever process needs administrator privileges. C:\Documents and Settings is a junction not a folder. It is for comaptibility purposes and can't be accessed by normal methods. There is no need to access it as it is just a pointer to the real location of the files C:\Users.

I suggest you do some reading on the differences between Vista and XP. For the most part everything you read about Vista is applicable to Windows 7.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709691.aspx

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/7/8/578cbb95-c42e-4b9f-9989-93ffdeae8af4/Introducing_Windows_Vista.pdf

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/aa904820.aspx

The above links will get you started. I recommend you install Vista on your own computer and learn it inside out. It has many advantages over older versions of Windows, especially in a domain environment. It is however very different from XP. It bears repeating that whatever you learn about Vista will apply to Windows 7.

Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Friday, February 6, 2009 5:35 PM
  • You are confusing several issues - the 'c:\documents and settings' folder is only visible when you have unchecked 'hide protected operating system files' in explorer. It is a special symbolically linked folder that is used only for backwards compatibility with legacy applications that incorrectly assumed that this folder would always exist. The c:\Users folder is its real replacement.

When you are having the issue you need to make sure you actually are an administrator. Open a CMD prompt and an elevated CMD prompt, and run:

whoami /groups

You should see administrators listed both times:

For the non-elevated CMD prompt: 

BUILTIN\Administrators                 Alias            S-1-5-32-544 Group used for deny only

For the elevated CMD prompt: 

BUILTIN\Administrators               Alias            S-1-5-32-544 Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group, Group owner

You will ned to provide more details and steps to reproduce your issues for us to give you further help.

Ned Pyle [MSFT] - MS Enterprise Platforms Support - Beta Team
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 6:51 PM

All replies

• Windows 7 works the same way as Windows Vista. Administrator accounts do not normally run with administrator privileges until you elevate whatever process needs administrator privileges. C:\Documents and Settings is a junction not a folder. It is for comaptibility purposes and can't be accessed by normal methods. There is no need to access it as it is just a pointer to the real location of the files C:\Users.

I suggest you do some reading on the differences between Vista and XP. For the most part everything you read about Vista is applicable to Windows 7.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709691.aspx

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/7/8/578cbb95-c42e-4b9f-9989-93ffdeae8af4/Introducing_Windows_Vista.pdf

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/aa904820.aspx

The above links will get you started. I recommend you install Vista on your own computer and learn it inside out. It has many advantages over older versions of Windows, especially in a domain environment. It is however very different from XP. It bears repeating that whatever you learn about Vista will apply to Windows 7.

Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Friday, February 6, 2009 5:35 PM
  • Hi

If User Account Controll is dissabled this cause a lot of problems like yours currect problem.

I hope this is related to this issue :)
    Friday, February 6, 2009 9:56 PM
  • You are confusing several issues - the 'c:\documents and settings' folder is only visible when you have unchecked 'hide protected operating system files' in explorer. It is a special symbolically linked folder that is used only for backwards compatibility with legacy applications that incorrectly assumed that this folder would always exist. The c:\Users folder is its real replacement.

When you are having the issue you need to make sure you actually are an administrator. Open a CMD prompt and an elevated CMD prompt, and run:

whoami /groups

You should see administrators listed both times:

For the non-elevated CMD prompt: 

BUILTIN\Administrators                 Alias            S-1-5-32-544 Group used for deny only

For the elevated CMD prompt: 

BUILTIN\Administrators               Alias            S-1-5-32-544 Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group, Group owner

You will ned to provide more details and steps to reproduce your issues for us to give you further help.

Ned Pyle [MSFT] - MS Enterprise Platforms Support - Beta Team
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 6:51 PM
  • Hello,

I wanted to install an application with admin acount but it came up with "you dont have permission to ...  path"

in WHOAMI /GROUPS I just can see BUILTIN\Administrators                 Alias            S-1-5-32-544 Group used for deny only.

Can you please help me to find out why my admin account does not have permission?

Friday, December 28, 2018 2:39 PM