Windows 7 computers fail 802.1x authentication after installing windows updates on servers RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon,

Over the weekend i installed all the most recent updates on our servers and now for some reason only windows 7 machines will not authenticate through eap-tls. The specific error codes from the event viewer are 8002, 8004, 11006, 12013. Oddly enough this does not effect any windows 8 or 10 devices. I have verified that the certificate is installed on the computer and it is the proper certificate on the server. I found a hotfix for this issue but when i went to run it on the affected computers is said it was not applicable. Any suggestions? Thank you

Monday, January 4, 2016 8:52 PM

Answers

• Hi tsicoupe,

1. What about re-installing the certificate for the win7 client? And check if there are other irrelevant certificates enrolled after updating, if so, delete irrelevant certificates and test, also check if root certificate is installed.

2. What is the other error in addition to event 6273?

3. Check the network connection between client, NPS server and DC.

4. Beside, since the issue occurs after installing updates, we may check what are these updates, and check if there are known issue about installing updates on win7. We may also try to uninstall the updates to check the result.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 5:17 AM
  • I fixed it, all i had to do was select a different certificate in nps and then go back to the original and it started working again :) Thanks for your assistance
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 4:13 PM

All replies

• the only other thing that was changed was i had to rebuild one of our dcs. I was able to safely demote it and transfer the fsmo roles to the same server the nps resides on. I also transferred kms to that server as well. I doubt any of that is related but i thought i should mention it. 
    Monday, January 4, 2016 9:12 PM
  • from the nps event viewer i am getting event id 6273.
    Monday, January 4, 2016 10:14 PM
  • Hi tsicoupe,

1. What about re-installing the certificate for the win7 client? And check if there are other irrelevant certificates enrolled after updating, if so, delete irrelevant certificates and test, also check if root certificate is installed.

2. What is the other error in addition to event 6273?

3. Check the network connection between client, NPS server and DC.

4. Beside, since the issue occurs after installing updates, we may check what are these updates, and check if there are known issue about installing updates on win7. We may also try to uninstall the updates to check the result.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 5:17 AM
  • I fixed it, all i had to do was select a different certificate in nps and then go back to the original and it started working again :) Thanks for your assistance
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 4:13 PM
  • Hi tsicoupe,

Glad to hear you have fixed it, and it's kind of you to share the solution. Mark useful replies as answers, so that others will clear to get useful information. Cheers!

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 5:34 AM