Spooler Memory Leak? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an oddity with Windows Spooler on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

After a restart, the memory used by the spooler relentlessly start slowly climbing, I noticed after a couple of days, the spooler had 1.3gigs of memory! I checked and there were no files in the PRINTER folder waiting, so the spooler wasn't trying to do anything. When checking the memory usage in task manager, you can see if bouncing around a bit but slowly increasing by 4k every 20-30 seconds for no apparent reason.  In about 4 hours it's gone from 12mb to 73mb, nothing has been printed in that time.

Anyone else seen this? Any idea what it is?

I've seen references to print drivers, but I haven't updated any drivers in several months, and this appears to have just started happening, at least I never noticed this before.

MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Friday, July 9, 2010 12:23 AM

Answers

• Well, the mystery has been solved.

My Brother HL-5140 was running using LPD support through a D-Link DNS-323 NAS.  I removed it and installed as a local USB connected printer using the same stock Windows 7 drivers, and the leak is plugged.

It would appear that the LPD functionality of Windows 7 is the process with the memory leak from what I see here!

• Marked as answer by JohnWill Friday, July 9, 2010 1:54 PM
    Friday, July 9, 2010 1:54 PM

All replies

• Before you post here you should update you drivers, because thats all people are going to tell you to do.

So up date drivers, but before you do that i would uninstall and then reinstall because it could be a registry error.

Also you can use system restore if you know the date it started happening, restore would take it back to the way it was, you will not lose any data but you might lose programs and drivers you have installed.

Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\system restore

Friday, July 9, 2010 2:07 AM
  • When in doubt, use process monitor?  Or just process explorer.  Maybe you can find the troublesome thread or stack.

Are you sure you didn't just install something print related?

Friday, July 9, 2010 3:59 AM
  • I'm sure nothing changed in the printer area.  I have uninstalled a bunch of stuff in printers and upgraded two of the printer drivers to the latest versions.  I'm thinking it may be the LPD support that is the issue which supports the printers on the two NAS boxes.

I remember this being a problem in XP as well with a totally different environment, so there is clearly something about the spooler and the printer support that hasn't been fixed by subsequent releases of Windows.  Maybe time for Microsoft to totally rewrite the support...

As far as system restore, since I have no idea when this actually started, that is somewhat problematic.  A couple of weeks ago I moved the system to an SSD and removed all the restore points in the process, so I doubt that's a solution here.

Friday, July 9, 2010 12:07 PM
  • I was thinking some 'print monitor' was the problem.  Maybe try autoruns from http://sysinternals.com and look in the print monitors tab for 3rd party dlls and try unchecking one at a time.

Friday, July 9, 2010 1:32 PM
  • Well, the mystery has been solved.

My Brother HL-5140 was running using LPD support through a D-Link DNS-323 NAS.  I removed it and installed as a local USB connected printer using the same stock Windows 7 drivers, and the leak is plugged.

It would appear that the LPD functionality of Windows 7 is the process with the memory leak from what I see here!

• Marked as answer by JohnWill Friday, July 9, 2010 1:54 PM
    Friday, July 9, 2010 1:54 PM
  • Yes, it is a memory leak!

First recognized on my environment with Windows 7 RC. See this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/d486ce39-829c-40bc-bb34-d06c43f18a6c

But only with unix/linux based print servern (often used within soho NAS boxes)!

I used to kill the service often in task manager during my work...

Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:41 PM
  • Obviously your guess that it might be fixed in the RTM was not realized, because it's still here! :(  I gave up on running it through the NAS and just connected it directly to my main machine.  I just don't have access to that printer when this machine isn't running, I'll have to live with that.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 5:05 PM
  • The windows spooler loads a dll for each print monitor, so it's possible a print monitor like the lpr one might have a leak.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 5:33 PM
  • It's not only possible, it's damned likely! :-)

Thursday, July 22, 2010 5:44 PM