none
DPM 2012 R2 Remote administration console won't start. No messages RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2012 R2 Update Rollup 9 on a single server. We don't have a library, so I have someone that I want to handle tape swaps during normal backup operations. I am trying to get the Remote Administration Console working on her computer. When I click on the icon to start it I get the prompt to specify the DPM server name. After I respond to the prompt nothing happens.

Here is what I've done to try and track this down so far:

• I set up a test user that has local admin authority on the DPM server and is a member of the MSDPMExecRole and MSDPMReaderRole database roles. I logged that user onto her computer and the remote console works fine.
    • I set my "tape operator" up with the same authority and logged her onto my computer and the remote console works fine.
    I am surmising from this that there is something odd about her setup on her computer.
    I can't find any messages in the event viewer in either the System or Application logs. Is there anywhere else there could be some information logged? I am at my wits end trying to figure this out and if I could find a message I would know which way to turn.
    Thanks for any pointers.
    Eric.

Eric Logsdon Cooperative Technologies, Inc.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 7:00 PM

All replies

• Hi, Eric.

Try add in the DPM server Database SQL admin rights for DPM user.

Also when you open the console to connect to DPM2012 server add FQDN name DPM Server (like this DPMnameServer.domain.local).

Have a nice day !!!
    DPM 2012 R2: Remove Recovery Points
    DPM blog
    System Center
    Hyper-V

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 8:34 AM
  • Eugene,

Thanks. That made no difference. Her login works from a different workstation without SA, so I didn't think it would, but I tried it anyway.

I am using the FQDN (dpmserv.domain.com) when I connect to the backup server.

Still scratching my head...

Eric.

Eric Logsdon Cooperative Technologies, Inc.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 1:30 PM