none
Exporting Outline Level to Excel RRS feed

• Question

•  I have added a column - Outline Level to my projects. When I create a master plan containing sub-projects the outline levels for the subprojects are displayed properly. When I export the master plan to excel, the outline level number for the sub-project summary is the same as the first activity ("1"). The first activity outline level should be "2" as shown in Microsoft Project. Is this a bug? 
    Tuesday, January 16, 2018 4:38 PM

All replies

• Cinvenzo,

No, not a bug. When you create a dynamic master the inserted subprojects are not actually part of the master, rather the master contains a pointer to each subproject. This is evidenced by the non-sequential ID field when viewed at master level.

You don't say exactly how you exported the master to Excel but if you used a simple copy and paste, then the copy and paste operation follows the outline structure of the master tasks (i.e. summary line insertion points of each subproject), and the outline structure of each subproject separately.

If you create a static master instead of a dynamic master (i.e. uncheck the "link to project" option in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window), then the outline level of the static master will be replicated if the static master is copied and pasted into Excel.

What exactly are you trying to achieve? If you're interested I have a macro that will take a dynamic master and export the data therein to Excel, including reading and applying the outline level to provide appropriate indentation in Excel. If you are interested, let me know.

John

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 5:13 PM
  • Thanks John.  By the sound of it, it seems that your macro satisfies my need.  If you can provide me with the macro that would be awesome.

thanks again

Vince

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:49 PM
  • Vince,

Okay, contact me at the below address. I will ask some questions.

John

jmacprojataticlouddotdotcom

(Remove obvious redundancies)

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:05 PM