locked
"Task Sequence has too many steps" Suggestions needed RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am building a task sequence that has grown rather large because I am supporting a large number of computer models and installing drivers for them using groups for each computer model.  I am now getting an error, "Task Sequence has too many steps".

    I have done some research and found this thread that says the size of my task sequense is limited to 10mb:

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrosd/thread/c33325a5-6beb-495c-a93a-100210353fe2

    The answer in this case was to use variables to install apps. 

    Can somebody please expand on that?  Or point me to a thread that explains the problem and how to work around it?  I'm not sure what you are supposed to use variables for and how that would help reduce the number of steps.

    Thanks!

    -Janet

    Monday, November 8, 2010 4:08 PM

Answers

    1. Reinstall MDT
    2. Run Configure ConfigMgr Integration
    3. Restart
    4. DONE

    I did just one of those steps, Run Configure ConfigMgr Integration and this fixed the problem without reinstall\reboot
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:42 PM

All replies

  • I've come across the error myself and the fix is quite easy, restart the WMI service on the sms provider server

    see here for details of that - http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/nbrady/archive/2010/08/27/while-editing-a-task-sequence-you-receive-an-error-quot-unable-to-store-task-sequence-quot.aspx



    My step by step SCCM Guides
    I'm on Twitter > ncbrady
    Monday, November 8, 2010 9:16 PM
  • In our case restarting WMI was just a temporary fix, the problem soon came back.  We resolved it by adjusting the WMI memory settings detailed in this thread:

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-NZ/configmgrosd/thread/852110c4-4d6c-42ea-b50c-0ecfe199b19c

    A. Increase the available number of WMI memory buffers:

    1. Open Regedit and navigate to the following key:

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\CIMOM

    2. Edit the value: "High Threshold On Events (B)" so that it is set to 60000000 (60 milliion; 20 million is the default value).

    3. Edit the value: "Low Threshold On Events (B)" to 40000000 (40 million; 10 million is the default value).

    B. Adjusting the Site Server's WMI Provider handles and Memory allocations:

    1. Start - Run: wbemtest on the Site Server.

    2. Click on Connect and in the namespace field enter root and click Connect.

    3. Click on Enum Classes (select Recursive) and scroll-down to the class name called: __ProviderHostQuotaConfiguration.

    4. Double-click on that class.

    5. Click the Instances button.

    6. Double-click on __providerhostquotaconfiguration=@.

    7. In the properties window scroll down to HandlesPerHost and click the Edit Property button.

    8. Change the value to 8192 (0x2000) and click the Save Property button.

    9. Now locate MemoryPerHost and click the Edit Property button.

    10. Change the value to 536870912 and click the Save Property button.

    11. Click Save Object, then close out of wbemtest.

    12. You will need to restart this server for these memory changes to take.

    Hope this helps.

    Mark.

    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:32 AM
  • instead of using a step "install program A" with the package of program A in the tasksequence,
    you could use a step "Set Variable to install program A"

    The variable step won't "consume" as much space as a install package step

    Afterwards set the variable on the collection "install program a" . The client will get assigned to this collection since it has the right variable...

     

     

    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 10:11 AM
  • Thanks all,  I tried restarting WMI and then rebooting the server that has the SMS Provider.  I still get the 'too many steps' error.  I will poke around with the variables solution and see if I can get all my steps into one task sequence.  If anybody knows of a way to increase that 10mb limitation on task sequences or has any other tricks please let me know.

    Thanks again,

    Jan

     

    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 12:38 PM
  • According to good-ol' Technet the size limit of a task sequence is actually 4 MB, not 10.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb932192.aspx

    Friday, December 17, 2010 11:39 AM
  • Hi,

    I had the same issue and had to re-install the MDT Tools.

    Saturday, February 5, 2011 9:09 AM
  • ironically i had this issue again today (too many steps) and basically i tried all the advice above including my own, none of it helped, in the end i had to just delete the task sequence and rebuild it, very frustrating, couldn't even export the ts once the issue occured...


    My step by step SCCM Guides
    I'm on Twitter > ncbrady
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 4:03 PM
    1. Reinstall MDT
    2. Run Configure ConfigMgr Integration
    3. Restart
    4. DONE
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:38 PM
    1. Reinstall MDT
    2. Run Configure ConfigMgr Integration
    3. Restart
    4. DONE

    I did just one of those steps, Run Configure ConfigMgr Integration and this fixed the problem without reinstall\reboot
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:42 PM