Create Install Package for Firefox RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon,

I've created many software packages using SCE in the past couple of months but today I ran into a problem where I was getting the following error:

Date: 6/26/2009 1:20:26 PM
    Application: System Center Essentials
    Application Version: 6.0.1885.0
    Severity: Error

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: CreateDirectory failed
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.FileSystemUtilities.CreateDirectory(String path)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.FileSystemHelper.CreateDirectory(String path)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.CopyFilesWithProgress(String sourceRoot, String destinationRoot, String relativePath)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.CopyFilesWithProgress(String sourceRoot, String destinationRoot, String relativePath)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.CopyPackageFiles(String sourcePath, String additionalSourcePath)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.PublishPackage(String sourcePath, String additionalSourcePath, String packageDirectoryName)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.PublishPackage(String sourcePath, String packageDirectoryName)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.SCE.Internal.UI.NewUpdatePackageWizard.PreparingPackagePage.PreparePackageBackgroundWorkerDoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

I tried a couple of different things to figure out what was going on, I create several different software packages that were located in the same directory as the one giving me the error.  I confirmed that the permissions were the same on all of the .msi packages that I was trying to create.  I even copied the whole folder my .msi was in to the local SCE server and tried to create the package from there and still got the error. 

I've tested this .msi and it installs Firefox without a problem, I just keep getting the above error message when trying to create the software package in SCE.

Thanks!

Michael

Friday, June 26, 2009 5:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

I peformed a test in my SCE lab environment, I downloaded Firefox 3.0 installation file (it's a exe file) from this webiste

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ie.html

Then I created a new software package in SCE with this exe file, it's successful with no error.

As you mentioned in the email sent to me that you can successfully create and deploy other MSI packages, so I think the problem is related to your firefox MSI file, not SCE itself.

So I'd like to suggest you download new firefox installation file from the above link, then try to create the package again.

Hope this helps.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael.

From the error code, I found:

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: CreateDirectory failed

when you installing SCE via the SCE installation wizard, one step will ask you to select two directories.

1.    User must select the installation directory for System Center Essentials.  The default for this setting is %PROGRAMFILES%\System Center Essentials 2007.

2.    User must select whether to store Microsoft Updates locally or for clients to download them from the Microsoft Update site.  The default directory for local storage is C:\SCE.  In SCE folder there’s other two folders ,one named ”WSUScontent” which stores Microsoft Updates. The other is “UpdateServicesPackages” which stores Software Package which created by user. Also these folders are shared.

This issue may due to the access deny, so please confirm that the account which you used has administrative privilege on both SCE Server and client computer. And please check “Sharing and Security”(right click on the folder) to see whether account you used  has full control on “UpdateServicesPackages” folder. We may suggest you to use Domain\administrator to login SCE Server.

Also, if the problem still exists when you use local administrator, please capture screen shots of the related symptoms with “%programfiles%\update services\logfiles\softwareDistribution.log and send them to SCEDATA@microsoft.com.

Note:

Please include the following three lines in the email body:

Create Install Package for Firefox

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/systemcenterdevelopment/thread/62df02c1-f012-4880-82d9-eac45f08699a

Eric Zhang - MSFT

Regarding more information about how to send email to SCEDATA@microsoft.com, please refer to:

How to send files to the Microsoft SCE team for review

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1680389&SiteID=17

Post a quick note in the current thread after sending the email.

Thanks!

Monday, June 29, 2009 9:39 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Thanks for the quick response, I sent an email with the required logs and the other troubleshooting that I have done.

Mike
    Monday, June 29, 2009 1:07 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I peformed a test in my SCE lab environment, I downloaded Firefox 3.0 installation file (it's a exe file) from this webiste

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ie.html

Then I created a new software package in SCE with this exe file, it's successful with no error.

As you mentioned in the email sent to me that you can successfully create and deploy other MSI packages, so I think the problem is related to your firefox MSI file, not SCE itself.

So I'd like to suggest you download new firefox installation file from the above link, then try to create the package again.

Hope this helps.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:37 AM
  • As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    Friday, July 3, 2009 9:01 AM
  • Hi, I believe I am having the same problem. I can't seem to build any deployment packages. The problem started when we had to re-install SCE 2007. I am using a domain admin account. Here is the error...

2009-07-16 20:30:53.864 UTC Error Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.SCE.UI.Console.10 Publisher.PublishPackage PublishPackage(): Operation Failed with Error: CreateDirectory failed
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.PublishPackage(String sourcePath, String additionalSourcePath, String packageDirectoryName)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Publisher.PublishPackage(String sourcePath, String packageDirectoryName)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.SCE.Internal.UI.NewUpdatePackageWizard.PreparingPackagePage.PreparePackageBackgroundWorkerDoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.AgileAsyncWorkerItem.DoAsyncCall()
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.AgileAsyncWorkerItem.ThreadPoolCallBack(Object o)
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallbackInternal(_ThreadPoolWaitCallback tpWaitCallBack)
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object state)

Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:45 PM
  • I have the same problem with SCE 2010. Does anyone have a solution? My team has to deploy 70 Dynamics CRM clients and we cannot do so without this functionality.
    Monday, November 15, 2010 6:11 PM