problem with renaming a shortcut RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

it is the first time that I am trying to rename a shortcut using xml...

What I did:

1. in the Package directory on publishing server made a copy of package_user.xml

2. in the copy file, in Shortcut section changes the name in FILE line

3. on appvman server edited default  and in Advanced section clicked Import and Overwrite this Configuration,

then selected modified file (on the PUBLISHING server).

4. When apply I get the RED BAR in Appvman console "The configuration file did not contain well formed configuration XML.

Please check the management server event log for more information. "

5. Checked the log, there is an error. But not informative report...

What I did wrong?

Thanks.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 5:02 PM

Answers

• Somehow your XML code is not well formed.

You can use App-V 5 Configuration Editor (ACE) to edit the file and change the shortcut name. This tool is made to have a well formed XML configuration.

Twitter | Blog | App-V Deployment Whitepaper | My AppX section
    If you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:47 PM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:06 PM

All replies

• Somehow your XML code is not well formed.

You can use App-V 5 Configuration Editor (ACE) to edit the file and change the shortcut name. This tool is made to have a well formed XML configuration.

Twitter | Blog | App-V Deployment Whitepaper | My AppX section
    If you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:47 PM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:06 PM
  • I edited the file with notepad (regular) thinking that I am changing just minimal thing...

Thanks for the tip. Will use ACE.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:47 PM
  • I used ACE as alternative to previous editor.

Unfortunately, I get exactly the same error...

What could be the cause?

Should I try Deployment config file?

Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:44 PM
  • Do you want to rename shortcut with only XML? 

If not, Try with choosing "Update Existing Package" & then go to Package Editor & so you can get Shortcuts tab where you can rename the shortcut.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 1:23 PM
  • xml editing was the recommended method of changing shortcut name.

I tried a while ago  in Shortcut tab and it didn't work.

The question now why the xml not works in my case? APPV doesn't "like" it...

Other tip? I will try edit the package. But I remember it not works for this specific package...

Thursday, May 21, 2015 6:49 PM
  • Can you post the shortcut section, from the config XML that you're trying to change here. Can you also highlight the shortcut name your are trying to change? Does the shortcut name contain any special characters?
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 8:21 PM
  • If you change the userconfig, you must import in the correct location.

If you right-click your package, chose "Edit default", you are going to edit the default DEPLOYMENT config. You can not chose your reconfigure here.
    Instead, select your package, and below at "AD ACCESS" chose "Edit", next to the AD-group, click "EDIT" and chose your USER-config. This time you will be able to import the xml file.

I know they look very similar, but it's a big difference... deployment configs are package wide, user-configs are AD-group based (you can apply multiple user-config to multiple groups, keep in mind, I a user is member of multiple-groups a conflict will occur falling back to the default config).

Friday, May 22, 2015 10:20 AM