windows 7 crashes RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and use the computer as Windows Media Center on  gateway 2851. System is pretty standard with nothing installed except media center and Ceton cable card tuner.

It started crashing. Before crashing fan start working very fast and windows crash and screen starts changing colors.

I enabled minidumps, but it doesn't get created.

I replaced HD, tried different RAM modules - didn't help.

Saturday, June 4, 2011 1:56 PM

All replies

• If the fans getting fast its because something is overheating. CPU's are designed to switch off at a critical temp (well some are). Check for dust build up on the cooling fins of the heat sink on your CPU.

Now as you say your screen is changing colours that could point toward a GFX card over heat, again check it for dust and that the fan is running.

DO NOT REMOVE DUST WITH A VACUUM CLEANER Just a horsehair brush or old tooth brush (Or a can of compressed air) By all means have the vacuum cleaner close by to catch drifting dust but never let it touch any part of the PC.

Mini dumps won't be created if its an over heat problem.

CPU E8600 MEM Crucial Ballistix 8GB @ 800Mhz : MB Asus Striker 2 Formula : GFX Zotac 8800GT 1MB AMp Edition x 2 in SLi : XBLADE Case : PSU OCZ 1200Watt : PVR Wintv PVR-1300. Tri Boot - Win XP SP3, Win Vista SP2, Win7 Ultimate
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 5:09 PM