none
Custom MDT Property/Variable Not Getting Evaluated During Task Sequence RRS feed

• Question

• Good-day all,

I'm attempting to set the computername on newly imaged machines using a concatenation of the custom variable/property (ComputerType) and a string manipulation of the built-in SerialNumber variable.  Unfortunately, this is failing for me and my custom variable isn't being expanded/evaluated during the task sequence.  Instead of seeing the value, I'm seeing the name of the variable itself displayed as "%ComputerType%".

Below is what I have in my CustomSettings.ini file (set via the Rules section of the MDT Workbench).  This behavior is confirmed when I look at the Monitoring section of the MDT Workbench, where I see "Prefix-%ComputerType%-000b5" listed as the "Name" of the computer being imaged, instead of something like "Prefix-VM-000b5". This ends up creating a computername that exceeds the 15-character limitation of Windows, as such, my task sequence fails when it goes to change the computer name during the post install phase.

What am I doing wrong?

Here's what my CustomSettings.ini file looks like:

[Settings] Priority=IsVM,IsLaptop,IsDesktop,IsServer,SetComputerName,Default

Properties=ComputerType,MyCustomProperty [IsVM] Subsection=Virtual-%IsVM% [IsLaptop] Subsection=Laptop-%IsLaptop% [IsDesktop] Subsection=Desktop-%IsDesktop% [IsServer] Subsection=Server-%IsServer% [Virtual-True] ComputerType= [Laptop-True] ComputerType=LT [Desktop-True] ComputerType=WS [Server-True] ComputerType=SV [SetComputerName] OSDComputerName=Prefix-%ComputerType%-#Right(Replace(Replace(oEnvironment.Item("SerialNumber")," ",""),"-",""),5)# [Default] _SMSTSORGNAME=OS Deployment on %OSDComputerName% FullName=Assigned User's Name OrgName=My Company Name Home_Page=https://mail.exchangeserver.com User_Locale=en-us KeyboardLocale=en-us UserDataLocation=NONE DoCapture=YES OSInstall=Y AdminPassword=MyPassword TimeZone=035 TimeZoneName=Eastern Standard Time JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP HideShell=YES FinishAction=SHUTDOWN DoNotCreateExtraPartition=YES AppyGPOPack=NO SkipAdminPassword=YES SkipProductKey=YES SkipComputerName=YES SkipDomainMembership=YES SkipUserData=YES SkipLocaleSelection=YES SkipTaskSequence=NO SkipTimeZone=YES SkipApplications=YES SkipBitLocker=YES SkipSummary=YES SkipRoles=YES SkipCapture=NO SkipFinalSummary=NO SkipComputerBackup=YES EventService=http://mdtserver:9800 ;LOGGING SLShare=\\mdtserver\DeploymentShare$\Logs SLShareDynamicLogging=\\mdtserver\DeploymentShare$\Logs\%ComputerName%

• Edited by Kismet-Gerald Tuesday, May 14, 2019 4:47 PM Omitted a line in my customsettings.ini file
    Tuesday, May 14, 2019 4:41 PM

Answers

• EUREKA!  PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Turns out that the name of my Section headers cannot be the same as that of the built-in MDT variables.  Here’s what I mean:

[Settings]Priority=IsVM,IsLaptop,IsDesktop,IsServer,SetComputerName,Default
    Properties=ComputerType,MyCustomProperty

Notice above that in my [Settings] section, the Priority header is set to “IsVM, IsLaptop….etc”,

[IsVM]
    Subsection=Virtual-%IsVM%

[IsLaptop]
    Subsection=Laptop-%IsLaptop%
    Notice also that my custom sections bear the same name as the built-in MD variables I’m testing (i.e., IsVM)

By changing the custom section names as follows and rebuilding my MDT DeploymentShare, everything is working now.

[Settings]Priority=ByVM,ByLaptop,ByDesktop,ByServer,SetComputerName,Default
    Properties=ComputerType,MyCustomProperty

[ByVM]
    Subsection=Virtual-%IsVM%

[ByLaptop]
    Subsection=Laptop-%IsLaptop%

With this working now, I can use a single deployment share to dish out specific task sequences (i.e., OS Images) to specific machines based on their detected hardware type.  Hope this is helpful to someone out there.

• Marked as answer by Kismet-Gerald Thursday, May 16, 2019 10:27 AM
    Thursday, May 16, 2019 10:27 AM