none
SQL Tempdb is taking Full drive space. RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I am currently facing problem with TempDB size, I have installed SCDPM 2012 on C Drive and my DPM Database is on another Drive, after every 2 days the SQL TempDB took all the free space in the drive (almost 100GB) and Backup jobs to tape started failing with the error " DPM service terminated unexpectedly during the completion of the job, the termination may have been caused by a System Reboot ". I have seen some details in Event viewer logs and there are lines " Requested versioned row was not found, your tempDB is probably out of space".

Is it possible to restrict the size of TempDB ? if not then what are other possible ways to resolve this issue permanently

Regards

Rizwan

Regards Rizwan Siddiqui

• Edited by Rizwan_sid Monday, May 5, 2014 11:28 AM
    Monday, May 5, 2014 11:22 AM

All replies

• Dear All,

I am currently facing problem with TempDB size, I have installed SCDPM 2012 on C Drive and my DPM Database is on another Drive, after every 2 days the SQL TempDB took all the free space in the drive (almost 100GB) and Backup jobs to tape started failing with the error " DPM service terminated unexpectedly during the completion of the job, the termination may have been caused by a System Reboot ". I have seen some details in Event viewer logs and there are lines " Requested versioned row was not found, your tempDB is probably out of space".

Is it possible to restrict the size of TempDB ? if not then what are other possible ways to resolve this issue permanently

Regards

Regards Rizwan Siddiqui

Monday, May 5, 2014 11:24 AM
  • Hi,

What version of DPM and UR update are you running ?

If you are running DPM 2012 and have UR3 or later installed see this article:

2809773 The Data Protection Manager database grows and the console crashes after installing Update Rollup 3
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2809773/EN-US

If you are on DPM 2012 SP1 - be sure you are running UR5.

KB2904730-Description of System Center 2012 Service Pack 1 Update Rollup 5
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2904730

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 5, 2014 11:46 PM
  • Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply, yes I am using DPM 2012 with UR3, I have seen this Stored procedure, didn't try this because I am not good in SQL, can you also guide me how and where do I need to run this stored procedure.

Regards

Rizwan

Regards Rizwan Siddiqui

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 8:28 PM
  • Hi,

1) Make a backup of the DPM Database - easiest way is to run DPOMBACKUP -DB from administrative command prompt.

2) Open SQL Server Management Studio and connect to the SQL instance used by DPM.  You can get this from the i (information) icon in DPM.

3) Under databases -  select the DPMDB database.

4) Click on the new query button - in the new query window paste in the stored procedure from the KB article.

5) Click on the  ! Execute button to run the script.

6) Done - exit SQL management studio.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 11:03 PM