Modifying the default profile in Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,
    Our company has been following a procedure for several years for the installation and setup of Windows XP Pro based client machines. One of the settings we always did, was once one profile was setup (eg Administrator) to company standard; we would restart the computer, log on as a different user (not Administrator), navigate to "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator" and copy all the files and folders and paste them into "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User" (overwriting all of the default users settings). Then we would be able to log on as a different user, and it would pull up the default user profile (which is matched with the Administrators profile now) and it would be fine.

Now we are dealing with windows Vista based client machines, therefore having to redo the procedure. We have been able to adjust most settings, but we have got stuck with this one. In "C:\Users" there is a "Default" profile, and we tried to copy across the profile we adjusted, and logged on as a different user, but it hasn't carried across the profile changes.

Does anyone know how we can get around this? Its a setting we really need to have, if we can't do this, then we might have to stick with Windows XP Pro for now.

Thanks
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:43 AM

Answers

• Murty,

I have always created a "Customized" default user account as you have in the past.  However, I have always used a slightly different process.  Today I worked on my first Vista image for a new notebook and had great success using the same process that I have always used.

There were a couple quirks that I did not deem worthy of wasting a lot of time on.  First, this is a Lenovo notebook image that I customized.  The notebook came with a gadget promoting Lenovo products.  Even though I removed this from my Default account, it is still there when I log into a new account.

Second, I had set some of the task bar icons to hide themselves but they were all set to "Hide When Inactive" under the new account.  Finally, I had cleared the recent program list in the start menu but there is one item listed (Backup and Restore Center) under the new account.  I'm sure theses are just a couple registry issues that I'll figure out later.

The rest of the profile seemed to work flawlessly.

Anyhow, this is the way that I copy a user profile to the default profile:
    1. Configure the profile to copy then reboot and login as another administrator account.  The profile that I want to copy is always that of either the Administrator or an account with full administrator access.
    2. Press <Windows Key> + <Break> to open the System window.  You can also get to it from Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System.
    3. Open the Advanced System Settings from the Tasks list and click Continue on the permission prompt.
    4. Click the Settings button under User Profiles.
    5. Highlight the profile you want to copy to the Default profile then click the Copy To... button.
    6. In the Copy To window, click Browse to select the C:\Users\Default folder or just type it into the Copy Profile To field.
    7. Click the Change button under the Permitted To Use section.
    8. In the Select User or Group window, type "Everyone" in the text box then click OK.  Leave off the quotes around Everyone.  Then Click OK.
    9. You are returned to the Copy To window.  Click OK.
    10. A Confirm Copy window will come up that tells you the directory already exists and asks if you're sure you want to continue.  Click Yes.
    11. After the profile is copied, you are returned to the User Profiles window.  Just close all the windows.
        After the copy, I open REGEDIT and load the ntuser.dat hive that is in the Default folder.  From there, I search for any values that contain the path information for the source profile's user folder (ie. C:\Users\SourceUser) and delete it.  Be certain you only delete these entries from the hive that you loaded into the registry.  Finally, unload the hive and exit the registry editor.

I've never had any issues deleting the Registry Values that contain the source user path information and I've been using this process for years.  Please let me know if this helps you and if you need more assistance.

Good luck!

Heather
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 7:52 PM

All replies

• Bump?
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:45 AM
  • Murty,

I have always created a "Customized" default user account as you have in the past.  However, I have always used a slightly different process.  Today I worked on my first Vista image for a new notebook and had great success using the same process that I have always used.

There were a couple quirks that I did not deem worthy of wasting a lot of time on.  First, this is a Lenovo notebook image that I customized.  The notebook came with a gadget promoting Lenovo products.  Even though I removed this from my Default account, it is still there when I log into a new account.

Second, I had set some of the task bar icons to hide themselves but they were all set to "Hide When Inactive" under the new account.  Finally, I had cleared the recent program list in the start menu but there is one item listed (Backup and Restore Center) under the new account.  I'm sure theses are just a couple registry issues that I'll figure out later.

The rest of the profile seemed to work flawlessly.

Anyhow, this is the way that I copy a user profile to the default profile:
    1. Configure the profile to copy then reboot and login as another administrator account.  The profile that I want to copy is always that of either the Administrator or an account with full administrator access.
    2. Press <Windows Key> + <Break> to open the System window.  You can also get to it from Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System.
    3. Open the Advanced System Settings from the Tasks list and click Continue on the permission prompt.
    4. Click the Settings button under User Profiles.
    5. Highlight the profile you want to copy to the Default profile then click the Copy To... button.
    6. In the Copy To window, click Browse to select the C:\Users\Default folder or just type it into the Copy Profile To field.
    7. Click the Change button under the Permitted To Use section.
    8. In the Select User or Group window, type "Everyone" in the text box then click OK.  Leave off the quotes around Everyone.  Then Click OK.
    9. You are returned to the Copy To window.  Click OK.
    10. A Confirm Copy window will come up that tells you the directory already exists and asks if you're sure you want to continue.  Click Yes.
    11. After the profile is copied, you are returned to the User Profiles window.  Just close all the windows.
        After the copy, I open REGEDIT and load the ntuser.dat hive that is in the Default folder.  From there, I search for any values that contain the path information for the source profile's user folder (ie. C:\Users\SourceUser) and delete it.  Be certain you only delete these entries from the hive that you loaded into the registry.  Finally, unload the hive and exit the registry editor.

I've never had any issues deleting the Registry Values that contain the source user path information and I've been using this process for years.  Please let me know if this helps you and if you need more assistance.

Good luck!

Heather
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 7:52 PM
  • well that works to some degree thank you Smile
    But now when i log in as a new user, it creates a temporary profile. It looks exactly like i want it to, but it comes up with a little message when i log in, and under C:\Users\ it has:
    Administrator, Default, Public, TEMP

I would like to it to create a proper user profile folder instead.

Also, when deleting the registry keys from the ntuser.dat hive. Am i just modifying the values, or deleteing the whole string or dword or whatever?

Thanks again for the help you have already given!

*Edit*
    There were profile entries in the registry for old users. Once i removed them, and logged on as the old users, it recreated their profile folder and worked fine.

Thanks!
    Friday, April 13, 2007 6:15 AM
  • Murty,

I did not have an issue with a Temp folder being created. From your edited comment above, I guess you fixed the issue? Please let me know as I would like to be sure everything is working correctly for you.

Also, when deleting the registry keys from the ntuser.dat hive. Am i just modifying the values, or deleteing the whole string or dword or whatever? **

I normally delete the entire string/dword/whatever and Windows recreates the entry in the registry of the new user when they log in. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to creating my backup images so I try to lean-down the default user profile as much as possible. In Win 2K/XP I am usually able to create a default profile that is only about 650k but with this first try at Vista the default profile is about 1.13 MB.

Please call me at my work # 919-582-9249 if you need more help with this issue. I'm on the East Coast.

Thank you,

Heather

Friday, April 13, 2007 1:22 PM
  • I've found that this process works better when you use the Windows UI to do all the hard work for you.

* Right click Computer and select Properties

* Select Advanced System Properties (elevating as required)

* In the system properties dialog click the Settings button under User Profiles

* Select the account you want to use as a template

* Click Copy To

* Change the "permitted to use" option to Everyone

* Use the Browse button to select the location of the default profile (C:\Users\Default)

* Click Ok

* Click Yes to overwrite the existing default profile

New users should now recieve the default profile you've configured.

Friday, April 13, 2007 3:31 PM
  • Hey Heather, I am just confirming that it is all working correctly and the user profiles are being loaded correctly.
    Thank you once again for you help, this has saved me a lot of time and hassle.

To Andy, the process you gave is exactly what Heather outlined in the 2 post of this thread, but thanks anyway.

Cheers
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 11:30 PM
  • In theory this should work fine.  But in our active directory domain everyone gets a temporary profile.  The little message pops up that the profile was not loaded correctly and that all information will be lost when that user logs off.  We have followed the exact instructions listed above.

Any idea why this is happening?  This happens even with a fresh clean install of Vista on a new hard drive.  Also, why is it that Microsoft has no information on creating a "Default User Profile" for windows Vista like they did for previous operating systems?  The only mention of Default Profiles in Vista are "Roaming Default User" profiles.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:36 PM
  • Check the share and NTFS permissions on the profile server. Also check ownership of individual profiles, Vista will refuse to load profiles that are not owned by either the Administrators group or the user themselves (there is a policy setting to change this if necessary).
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:25 PM
  • Andy,

Actually we are using "Local Machine" profiles so there is no "profile server".  The profiles were originally created on the first login and subsequently deleted using windows explorer.  Attempting to re-logon using the previously deleted profile caused the temporary user profile error.  The user, Administrators, and Domain Admins group were owners of the profile.  However, I discovered today that by using the windows GUI to delete the profile instead of windows explorer solved the problem.  Here's the path: Right click "My Computer\Advanced System Settings\User Profiles\Settings".  Then select the user profile you want to delete and confirm the deletion.  Your next log in attempt with that user's account will recreate the profile without using the temp profile.

Friday, June 8, 2007 10:36 PM
  • Dear Heather,

I follow the same procedure as in your "How To" copy a user profile to the default profile. Except for in step 8. I do something in addition: Provided my template machine is on a domain I'm changing the path from Everybody on the domain to Everybody on the local machine. I'm not quite certain why I do it and it might be an unnesessary superstitious ritual. If I remember right I was taught that this is the proper way to do it and it has worked fine for me for years. I'm doing it on Vista as well ...

What really surprised me was your sentence about deleting entries from ntuser.dat in the Default folder! I've never done that and I don't even understand how you do it. Excuse me please, I'm blond and maybe embarrassingly ignorant. How exactly do you load that file into REGEDIT?

Neroberg

Monday, June 11, 2007 2:20 PM
  • Neroberg,

I never mentioned this in my previous posts because I just didn't think about it.  I never create a Default template using a machine that is already a member of a domain.  You should always use local user accounts as a template for your Default user.  When you think about it, the Default user that exists on a base installation is a local user account.  You are also correct when noting that the Everyone permission refers to the local machine's Everyone group.

Here's a quick rundown on opening the Default user's ntuser.dat file:

1.  Open RegEdit
        2.  Highlight the HKEY_USERS key
        3.  Select Load Hive from the Files menu
        4.  Select the C:\Users\Default\ntuser.dat file and click Open
        5.  You will be asked for a Key Name.  I usually use DEFAULT_USER
        6.  Highlight the HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT_USER key and follow the directions in my previous post
        7.  After removing all the necessary entries, Highlight HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT_USER again
        8.  Select Unload Hive from the Files menu and click Yes to confirm
        9.  Close RegEdit and delete the ntuser.dat.log file from the C:\Users\Default folder

Hope this helps!

Heather
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 2:06 PM
  • Dear Heather,

Funny, I always create Default templates using a computer which is a member of our domain. I remove it from the domain before eventually syspreping and cloning it.

Yes, your last post about how to open the Default user's ntuser.dat file was very helpful for me! I didn't know how to do that. There was indeed quite a number of entries referring to the source profile folder.

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation!

Kind regards from Germany,

Neroberg

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 10:03 AM
  • I just found this thread doing a Google search and I was having a similar problem.  We've always used the GUI interface way to copy a customized user profile to the Default User profile.  We've never done the bit about deleting the user specific registry entries though.  We've never had a problem with that in XP.  It seemed to ignore that stuff in XP.

But in Vista, we have the problem that sure enough, when a new user profile is created from the customized profile, several things are retained from the original user profile used to customize things.  Thanks for the info on using Regedit to open the new default ntuser.dat hive and chop that stuff out.  That should do the trick for us.

It's just odd we never had to do that under XP.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:13 PM
  • Okay, I'm still having issues.  Opening the Users\Default\ntuser.dat file and deleting all references to the original account I copied over to Default does solve most of my issues, except one fairly critical one.  It does NOT help for the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current\Version\Explorer\ShellFolders key.  I deleted all the values in there from the Default ntuser.dat, but when logging in with a new user account, those values do not get recreated with the proper values for the new account.

I did verify that in Win 2k and XP, it ignored the values from the ShellFolders key in the Default User ntuser.dat and always created new values under ShellFolder appropriate for the new account.  But in Vista it's not doing that.

Any ideas?

Friday, June 22, 2007 6:18 PM
  • That behaviour is by design. The ShellFolders key is a backwards compatability hack and they are only created if they are needed.
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 9:41 PM
  • I know this is an old thread, but I have an issue with this fix.  Under step five "Click Copy To" the button is not selectable.  I am the only user on the computer, and thought I had full admin rights.

AndyCadley wrote:

I've found that this process works better when you use the Windows UI to do all the hard work for you.

* Click Copy To

* Use the Browse button to select the location of the default profile (C:\Users\Default)

* Click Ok

Monday, June 25, 2007 6:47 PM
  • Thanks for the info!  I never realized that.

However, I do have to say that what I see is not consistent with what that article says is the "default" beahvior.  It seems to imply that, since Windows 95 and presumably on up through to Vista, on a clean new install of Windows that ShellFolders key is empty until something makes a call that creates the values in it.  That is not what I see.

I just tested this out.  On a brand new clean install of 2000, XP, and Vista at least (don't have anything older than that), every time a new user profile is created the ShellFolders key IS populated as soon as the profile is created.  In Vista, it's only after I copy another profile to the Default profile that it stops populating the ShellFolders key when creating a new profile, whereas in 2000 and XP they continue to populate ShellFolders even after copying another profile to the Default User Profile (and without even having to clear the values out from the profile it was copied from).

In general I wouldn't really care excpet this is causing problems for a piece of vendor software we have.  As long as the ShellFolders key is populated it works fine on Vista, but without that key being populated it doesn't work.  Apparently it doesn't make whatever API call is needed to populate the key.  What's funny is that this is a new version of the software that is supposed to be compatable with Vista.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:18 PM
  •  Subii wrote:
    I know this is an old thread, but I have an issue with this fix.  Under step five "Click Copy To" the button is not selectable.  I am the only user on the computer, and thought I had full admin rights.

AndyCadley wrote:

I've found that this process works better when you use the Windows UI to do all the hard work for you.

* Click Copy To

* Click Ok

There a couple things related to this.  You can't copy the profile you're currently logged in as.  You need to log in as a different account with Administrator rights.  Even then though I've seen sometimes that Copy To button is grayed out when logged in as the other account.  In this case I just reboot and log directly in as the Administrative account then the Copy To button is available for the other profiles.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:21 PM
  • Can you please tell me how you fix the issue with vista creating a TEMP profile for user who log in to the machine after copying the administrator profile to Default user?

Thank you.

Friday, July 13, 2007 7:08 PM
  •  

I'm also having this problem.  Whenever a user on the domain logs in they get a Temp profile even though they are part of the admin group.  I did the copying of the profile, but have not had any luck with the ntuser.dat
    Monday, July 30, 2007 2:52 PM
  • Make sure you're correctly configured the permissions in the 'Permitted to Use' section. Vista won't be able to load the profile if the user doesn't have adequate rights.

Monday, July 30, 2007 10:43 PM
  •  

There is a better way!

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/1471caf1-440a-4d54-bbe8-3b33c5effaa21033.mspx?mfr=true

If you use the CopyProfile setting in your unattend.xml in the specialize pass, it will automatically copy whatever profile runs sysprep to the Default profile:

Code Snippet

<settings pass="specialize">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile>
            </component>

</settings>

This works beautifully for me.

Too good to be true, eh?

Thursday, August 30, 2007 12:24 PM
  • There is an even better way! Just follow the documentation MS has set up for roaming profiles:

1.    Log on to a computer running Windows Vista with any domain user account. Do not use a domain administrator account.
    2.    Configure user settings such as background colors and screen savers to meet your company standard. Log off the computer.
    3.    Log on to the computer used in step 1 with a domain administrator account.
    4.    Use the Run command to connect to the Netlogon share of a domain controller. For Example, the path used in the contoso.com domain looks like \\HQ-CON-SRV-01\NETLOGON
    5.    Create a new folder in the Netlogon share and name it Default User.v2.
    6.    Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
    7.    Click Advanced System Settings. Under User Profiles, click Settings.

8.    The User Profiles dialog box shows a list of profiles stored on the computer. Click the name of the user you used in step 1. Click Copy To.
    9.    In the Copy To dialog box, type the network path to the Windows Vista default user folder you created in step 5 in the Copy profile to text box. For example, the network path in the contoso.com domain is \\HQ-CON-SRV-01\NETLOGON \Default User.v2.
    10.    In Permitted to use, click Change. Type the name Everyone,and then click OK.
    11.    Click OK to start copying the profile. Close all remaining windows and log off the computer when the copying process is complete.

Worked like a charm for me! Now I only need to get folder redirection working with my samba server Tongue Tied
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:03 PM
  • Heather,

This is a post over a year ago but hope you are still close by.  I attempted the 2nd part of your notes and it would not allow me to rename the hive.

Can you give me some ideas?  We have customers who are now switching to Vista and I am still not sure the best way to make a default user profile for the machines prior to imaging.

Thanks,

Michelle

Monday, November 3, 2008 6:58 PM
  •  

Hello,

The only supported method for making replacing the default user profile are to use the copyprofile unattended setting during sysprep.

When you sysprep the machine, the logged on user profile settings are copied over to the default user profile

From the Windows AIK documentation

CopyProfileUse the following steps to use CopyProfile to set customized

user profiles:

Log on as a user whose profile you can customize (for example, the

built-in-administrator account).

Customize the desired user profile settings.

Set CopyProfile to true in the Unattend.xml file that you will use with

Sysprep in the next step.

Run sysprep /generalize unattend:unattend.xml to copy the customized user

profile settings over the default user profile.

All subsequent user accounts that are created will have the customizations

that you have set. For details about Sysprep, see the Sysprep Technical

Reference in the Windows OEM Preinstallation Kit (Windows OPK) User's

Guide. (Opk.chm).

This setting does not copy the built-in administrator

profile unless the built-in administrator is the currently logged-on user.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 3:19 AM
  • Code Snippet
    Neroberg,

I never mentioned this in my previous posts because I just didn't think about it.  I never create a Default template using a machine that is already a member of a domain.  You should always use local user accounts as a template for your Default user.  When you think about it, the Default user that exists on a base installation is a local user account.  You are also correct when noting that the Everyone permission refers to the local machine's Everyone group.

Here's a quick rundown on opening the Default user's ntuser.dat file:

1.  Open RegEdit
        2.  Highlight the HKEY_USERS key
        3.  Select Load Hive from the Files menu
        4.  Select the C:\Users\Default\ntuser.dat file and click Open
        5.  You will be asked for a Key Name.  I usually use DEFAULT_USER
        6.  Highlight the HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT_USER key and follow the directions in my previous post
        7.  After removing all the necessary entries, Highlight HKEY_USERS\DEFAULT_USER again
        8.  Select Unload Hive from the Files menu and click Yes to confirm
        9.  Close RegEdit and delete the ntuser.dat.log file from the C:\Users\Default folder

Hope this helps!

Heather

This is the way I do it as well. It is very clean and you can use this method when using an image deployment system that requires full automation. We deploy images via Business Desktop Deployment 2007 v3 and Configuration Manager 2007. These systems require full automation at the time of deployment. I just write a script that loads the default user hive, make the edits needed and unload the hive.

Friday, November 21, 2008 4:57 PM
  •  robwm1 wrote:
    This is the way I do it as well. It is very clean and you can use this method when using an image deployment system that requires full automation. We deploy images via Business Desktop Deployment 2007 v3 and Configuration Manager 2007. These systems require full automation at the time of deployment. I just write a script that loads the default user hive, make the edits needed and unload the hive.

Would you possibly be willing to share your script, or at the least the basics of how you load the hive, change a setting in that hive, and unload it?

I know how to script changes to the registry in general.

I know how to use regedit to manually load a different hive to edit and then unload.

I do not know how to script loading and unloading a different hive to make changes to it through the script.

Thanks!

Friday, November 21, 2008 5:02 PM

•   Sorry it took so long to post. Here are the customizations that I currently make to our Vista image. It includes the commands for loading the Default User registry hive.

Let me know if you have any questions...

@echo off
    cls

REM ###################################################
    REM ##                                               ##
    REM ## Apply customizations to administrator profile ##

REM ####################
    REM # Clean Start Menu #
    REM ####################

REM Remove unwanted shortcuts from the Start Menu
    del /f /q "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Default Programs.lnk"
    del /f /q "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Windows Update.lnk"
    del /f /q "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Defender.lnk"
    del /f /q "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Mail.lnk"
    del /f /q "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Mail.lnk"
    del /f /q "C:\users\temp\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Mail.lnk"

REM Create the target folder for IT related tools
    md "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Tools"

REM Move ConfigMgr Toolkit and the Maintenance folders
    move /y "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ConfigMgr 2007 Toolkit" "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Tools\"
    move /y "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Maintenance" "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Tools\"
    move /y "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Maintenance\Help.lnk" "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Tools\Maintenance\Help and Support.lnk"

REM Remove unwanted folders in the Start Menu
    rd /s /q "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Extras and Upgrades"
    rd /s /q "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Integrated Camera"
    rd /s /q "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Maintenance"
    rd /s /q "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Maintenance"

REM ##################
    REM # Registry Edits #
    REM ##################

REM *********************
    REM Show file extensions
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v HideFileExt /t reg_dword /d 0 /f

REM ******************
    REM Show hidden files
    REM ******************
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v Hidden /t reg_dword /d 1 /f

REM *****************************************************
    REM Hide Program Access and Defaults from the Start Menu
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v Start_ShowSetProgramAccessAndDefaults /t reg_dword /d 0 /f

REM ********************************
    REM Show Printers on the Start Menu
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v Start_ShowPrinters /t reg_dword /d 1 /f

REM Show small icons on Start Menu
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v Start_LargeMFUIcons /t reg_dword /d 0 /f

REM *******************************************
    REM Do Not Highlight newly installed programs
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v Start_NotifyNewApps /t reg_dword /d 0 /f

REM *******************************
    REM Show 10 programs on Start Menu
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v Start_MinMFU /t reg_dword /d 10 /f

REM **********************************
    REM Hide My Music from the Start Menu
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v Start_ShowMyMusic /t reg_dword /d 0 /f

REM Hide My Pictures from the Start Menu
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v Start_ShowMyPics /t reg_dword /d 0 /f

REM ******************************
    REM  Force Classic Control Panel
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v ForceClassicControlPanel /t reg_dword /d 1 /f

REM ********************
    REM Unlock the Taskbar
    REM ********************
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v TaskbarSizeMove /t reg_dword /d 1 /f

REM *************************************************************************
    REM Show the desktop icons for Computer, User's Files, and Internet Explorer
    REM Show Computer icon on the desktop
    REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel" /v "{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    REM Show User's Files icon on the desktop
    REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel" /v "{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    REM Show Internet Explorer icon on the desktop
    REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel" /v "{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM Pin Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to the Start Menu
    reg import "%~dp0Data\PinOffice.reg"

REM ## Apply customizations to Default User profile  ##

REM ##################
    REM # Registry Edits #
    REM ##################

REM  Load Default User registry hive 
    reg load HKU\DefaultUser "C:\Users\Default\ntuser.dat"

REM Show file extensions
    reg add "HKU\DefaultUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v HideFileExt /t reg_dword /d 0 /f

REM ******************
    REM Show hidden files
    REM ******************
    reg add "HKU\DefaultUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v Hidden /t reg_dword /d 1 /f

REM Hide Program Access and Defaults from the Start Menu
    reg add "HKU\DefaultUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v Start_ShowSetProgramAccessAndDefaults /t reg_dword /d 0 /f

REM Show Printers on the Start Menu
    reg add "HKU\DefaultUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v Start_ShowPrinters /t reg_dword /d 1 /f

REM Show small icons on Start Menu
    reg add "HKU\DefaultUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v Start_LargeMFUIcons /t reg_dword /d 0 /f

REM Do Not Highlight newly installed programs
    reg add "HKU\DefaultUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v Start_NotifyNewApps /t reg_dword /d 0 /f

REM Show 10 programs on Start Menu
    reg add "HKU\DefaultUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v Start_MinMFU /t reg_dword /d 10 /f

REM Hide My Music from the Start Menu
    reg add "HKU\DefaultUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v Start_ShowMyMusic /t reg_dword /d 0 /f

REM Hide My Pictures from the Start Menu
    reg add "HKU\DefaultUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v Start_ShowMyPics /t reg_dword /d 0 /f

REM  Force Classic Control Panel
    reg add "HKU\DefaultUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v ForceClassicControlPanel /t reg_dword /d 1 /f

REM ********************
    REM Unlock the Taskbar
    REM ********************
    reg add "HKU\DefaultUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v TaskbarSizeMove /t reg_dword /d 1 /f

REM Show the desktop icons for Computer, User's Files, and Internet Explorer
    REM Show Computer icon on the desktop
    REG ADD "HKU\DefaultUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel" /v "{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    REM Show User's Files icon on the desktop
    REG ADD "HKU\DefaultUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel" /v "{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    REM Show Internet Explorer icon on the desktop
    REG ADD "HKU\DefaultUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel" /v "{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM Pin Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to the Start Menu
    reg import "%~dp0Data\DefaultUser-PinOffice.reg"

REM ***********************************
    REM  Unload Default User registry hive
    REM ***********************************
    reg unload HKU\DefaultUser

Friday, August 28, 2009 11:01 PM
  • Robwm1, Your batch file references two .reg files that look very helpful. Can you please include them here as well? Thanks!
    Breakin' 80
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:44 PM