SCOM 2007 R2, SQL Server MP: How to discover SQL 2008 Express on Windows Clients (XP) ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am new to Operations Manager and have searched around a lot without success to find a solution for my problem:

I have set up successfully a test environment with a Domain Controller, a single server SCOM with all SQL Server MPs and an Agent-managed XP Professional Workstation with SQL 2008 Express. Everything is working so far...except that the SQL 2008 DB Engine on the XP machine is not discovered.

The Object Discovery for SQL 2008 DB Engine targets "Windows Server". I have tried to override this and include "Windows Clients" but it did make a difference.

Is monitoring SQL Express instances on workstations not supported? Or what do I have to do to get it working?

Thanks in advance,
    Ralph
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Ralph.

Before the SQL MP works, the Server OS MP needs to be in place as well. So this already tells the story: the SQL MP is targeted at SQL servers, not clients.
    Best regards, Marnix Wolf

(Thoughts on OpsMgr)
    • Marked as answer by Ralph Twele Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:34 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Ralph.

Before the SQL MP works, the Server OS MP needs to be in place as well. So this already tells the story: the SQL MP is targeted at SQL servers, not clients.

(Thoughts on OpsMgr)
    • Marked as answer by Ralph Twele Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:34 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:09 PM
  • Hi Marnix,

so would I have to author my own SQL MP to achieve what I need?

Best regards,
    Ralph
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:24 AM
  • Hi Ralph.

I guess so. What do you exactly want to achieve when I may ask?

(Thoughts on OpsMgr)
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:56 AM
  • Part of what I need SCOM for is to monitor the SQL Express instances on XP computers (POS systems) in a WAN. Interesting parameters are current database sizes, memory consumption, processor load, deadlocks and so on. The goal is to service these systems, ideally in a pro-active way.

Best regards,
    Ralph
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:30 PM
  • Hi Ralph,

Any luck with SQL MP authoring? I was trying and It's a bit complicated.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:23 AM
  • That is certainly something I will have to look into, but I haven't yet.

Best regards,
    Ralph

Monday, January 4, 2010 7:57 AM
  • Hi Guys

Is it possible to monitor SQL Xpress on the Windows Client Machines?

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:37 AM
  • I would like to refresh this post.

I have similar problem that I would like to use SQL 2008 Management Pack towards SQLE 2008 installed on many Windows XP Clients.

Is it possible to convert original MP to be used against Windows Client Machines?

Thursday, December 9, 2010 1:10 PM
  • I too am trying to monitor SQL express on a Windows XP machine.

Has anyone found a way to do this?

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:39 PM