Defer Windows Feature Update RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I currently have my org split into two versions of Windows ( just happened to work that way with ordering new laptops ) v1703 and v1709.

I've deferred the feature updates in both versions through local group policy, however it says only valid for 365 days. What is that 365 basing off of and will the computers on v1703 ignore the group policy when RS4 comes out and upgrade to it?

Eventually we will phase into it but if there's a chance that every computer could be down for 90 minutes I'd like to find some solution to avoid this.

I've also been able to go around GPOs by updating manually so I'm having little faith that the GPO ( unless set up wrong ) will prevent this.

Thanks
    Ryan

Friday, March 30, 2018 5:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Ryan,

if you’re running Windows 10 Pro and thus have the option to defer new feature updates, when you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available.

You can block a feature update for up to 365 days. Taking into consideration that Feature Updates are released every seven months, this should be sufficient. But keep in mind, a Feature Update is only supported for 18 months, so eventually, you will need to move to a release in order to maintain support.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/block-windows-10-feature-update-why/

If you want to permanently defer you need to setup WSUS. Then you could try to block the feature update.

Got the link from What Does “Defer Upgrades” in Windows 10 Mean? a How-To Geek article.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 2, 2018 2:45 AM

All replies