Vista 64 bit, Xbox 360 controller RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to get my 360 controller to register in Control Panel/Game Controllers.

When I plug it into the USB port (Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3C), it registers and installs the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller via Play & Charge Kit software.

The controller is shown in Control Panel/Device Manager/Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class

Downloaded Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories 1.1 (Xbox360_64Eng.exe) and installed.

Controller does not register in the Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories Status application.

Other information:
    Windows Vista 64bit Home Premium
    Wired Xbox 360 controller
    Tried 2 different controllers
    Tried 3 different USB ports
    Changed device driver and used all the drivers installed with Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories 1.1
    Uninstalled Plug and play driver and tried Accessories drivers
    When I press the center button on the controller, it turned on my Xbox down stairs. 
    The light on the charger plug shows red.
    USB drivers are current.

Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:54 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the response.

I figured out what was happening and I think this is working as intended.

A wired controller works.  It connects, registers, and is playable.

A wireless controller attached with a Plug and Play cord will only charge the controller.  It will not register the controller.  Therefore, the controller is unusable. (This is what I was doing.  It would be nice if it worked)

The only way to get a wireless controller to work is to have the Wireless Receiver.  With the receiver, a controller will register and is playable.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:42 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for your update.

After testing, I found the cable is for charging. To make the wireless controller work, we need a Wireless Receiver plugging on the computer.

For more information about the wireless controller and how to use it, you can contact our XBOX support.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Regarding the issue, please reconfigure the controllers with the following Knowledge Base to see if it will work:

How to connect your Xbox 360 Controller for Windows to your computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906347

How to configure your Xbox 360 Controller for Windows on a Windows XP- or Vista-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906300

Considering the issue is related to the Xbox 360 Controller, it is recommended that you contact our Xbox for help:

XBOX support

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/default.aspx

Hope the issue can be resolved soon. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:58 AM
  • Thanks for the response.

I figured out what was happening and I think this is working as intended.

A wired controller works.  It connects, registers, and is playable.

A wireless controller attached with a Plug and Play cord will only charge the controller.  It will not register the controller.  Therefore, the controller is unusable. (This is what I was doing.  It would be nice if it worked)

The only way to get a wireless controller to work is to have the Wireless Receiver.  With the receiver, a controller will register and is playable.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:42 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for your update.

After testing, I found the cable is for charging. To make the wireless controller work, we need a Wireless Receiver plugging on the computer.

For more information about the wireless controller and how to use it, you can contact our XBOX support.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:53 AM