Can not discover on branch site and problem with old SMS2003 agent RRS feed

• Question

• I install SCCM secondary site on 1 branch and I already add subnet of this branch and other branch that is near this branch on boundaries and select network connection is slow, because between branch and HQ is 756kb , after configure 3 days I found on branch that Install SCCM server is can disconvery client, but other branch is can not , and no have error log on secondary. how I can check and fix it

other problem is I found some client have SMS2003 agent install by old IT guy , but now SMS 2003 server is gone, how I can automatic remove SMS 2003 agent on client and push install sccm client. please help me

Friday, May 13, 2011 10:26 AM

Answers

• Install the new CM2007 client, it will automatically remove the old SMS 2003 client. You most likely need to reset the trustedkey on the client by using the Resetkeyinformation=true in the commandline.
    Kent Agerlund | My blogs: http://blog.coretech.dk/author/kea/ and http://scug.dk/ | Twitter @Agerlund | Linkedin: /kentagerlund
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, May 26, 2011 3:35 AM
    Friday, May 13, 2011 11:42 AM
  • Hi,

Network Discovery retrieves the IP address and then pings (using an Internet Control Message Protocol echo request) each device that it finds to determine which devices are currently active. Then, Network Discovery must find the subnet mask for the device to create a DDR for it.

Subnet mask is retrieved by:

(1) Entry in router ARP cache

(2) Microsoft DHCP server

(3) Local SNMP agent

Reference:

Network Discovery Not Finding Computers

Please also have a look at the following KB articles:

SMS: How Systems Management Server Network Discovery Discovers Clients with Static IP Addresses

SMS: Systems Management Server Network Discovery Internals

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 16, 2011 8:21 AM

All replies

• Clients are discovered in active directory, not physically. You need to check the discoveries to see if the computers are within the scope of each discovery.

Friday, May 13, 2011 11:25 AM
  • Install the new CM2007 client, it will automatically remove the old SMS 2003 client. You most likely need to reset the trustedkey on the client by using the Resetkeyinformation=true in the commandline.
    Kent Agerlund | My blogs: http://blog.coretech.dk/author/kea/ and http://scug.dk/ | Twitter @Agerlund | Linkedin: /kentagerlund
    Friday, May 13, 2011 11:42 AM
  • Thank you for your help

To Eirik

I'm not configure Active Directory Discover, I used only network discover by IP subnet, so on HQ and Main branch I can found client. but I don't know why can not found other branch site that have IP address on subnet

To Kent

I used SCCM to install client but 3 day past client is not install SCCM agent and no have error log on Server, for your recommand where I run this command line, It must run on each client right or we can create script forcr to client

thank you for your support

Sunday, May 15, 2011 1:43 PM
  • Hi,

Network Discovery retrieves the IP address and then pings (using an Internet Control Message Protocol echo request) each device that it finds to determine which devices are currently active. Then, Network Discovery must find the subnet mask for the device to create a DDR for it.

Subnet mask is retrieved by:

(1) Entry in router ARP cache

(2) Microsoft DHCP server

(3) Local SNMP agent

Reference:

Network Discovery Not Finding Computers

Please also have a look at the following KB articles:

SMS: How Systems Management Server Network Discovery Discovers Clients with Static IP Addresses

SMS: Systems Management Server Network Discovery Internals

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 16, 2011 8:21 AM