How to Configure E-mail Alert on windows sharepoint services 3.0 installed on Windows Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have installed wss3.0 on my windows server. I also install the SMTP role on the server.

I need to be able to configure E-mail Alert for all the users using the wss 3.0

I don't have exchange server installed but I am using google mail services which I don't know if it would work.

o.k

Monday, August 12, 2013 2:24 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Just try this: (this is for SP 2010 but it should work in WSS 3.0 too)

http://blog.technock.net/2013/01/configure-email-setting-without.html

Let us know your result

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:55 AM
  • Hemendra,

The Information was helpful. I am a bit closer to getting a lasting solution.

Right now after following the steps in the link you gave me, I noticed that as soon as I create an alert on a site, I get the notification in my mail box. If other users make changes to the site which I have created alert for, I don't get an alert. 

Does this have anything to do with the IMAP Settings?

Also how do I configure the IMAP Settings.

o.k

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I want to be able to send mail outside from my wss application to emails like google.

How do I configure the server as an smtp server and how do I configure it so that it can send mails.

o.k

Monday, August 12, 2013 2:29 PM
  • Hi,

I just installed wss3.0 on my window server 2008.

How do I configure the sharepoint to send mails to my user email account.

My user email accounts are in google mail services. Where will I enter each users email account so that sharepoint will be able to send mails alerts to them?

o.k

Monday, August 12, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Hello,

Just try this: (this is for SP 2010 but it should work in WSS 3.0 too)

http://blog.technock.net/2013/01/configure-email-setting-without.html

Let us know your result

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:55 AM
  • Hemendra,

Thanks I will try this now.

Meanwhile, in the email address for User accounts in Active Directory, can I change it from the default local domain email account to Gmaill Addresses?

Also I am using Google Business Mail where I have google hosting my email services. so I should smtp.gmail.com instead. 

o.k

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:24 PM
  • Hemendra,

The Information was helpful. I am a bit closer to getting a lasting solution.

Right now after following the steps in the link you gave me, I noticed that as soon as I create an alert on a site, I get the notification in my mail box. If other users make changes to the site which I have created alert for, I don't get an alert. 

Does this have anything to do with the IMAP Settings?

Also how do I configure the IMAP Settings.

o.k

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 4:34 PM