locked
Outlook issue from Iternet RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi team,

    I have a very surprising issue. i have take a machine and trying to configure 3 user's profile from intranet as well as internet its working fine on the same machine. but when i am trying to configure a another user's outlook profile on the same machine with internet its not configuring however from intranet for the same user its configure successfully.

    we have checked all settings and it seems all is fine.

    Please let me know where it would be problem.

    Sunday, January 31, 2016 8:01 AM

All replies

  • Hi team,

    I have a very surprising issue. i have take a machine and trying to configure 3 user's profile from intranet as well as internet its working fine on the same machine. but when i am trying to configure a another user's outlook profile on the same machine with internet its not configuring however from intranet for the same user its configure successfully.

    we have checked all settings and it seems all is fine.

    Please let me know where it would be problem.

    we are using exchange 2013 and outlook version 2013.
    Sunday, January 31, 2016 8:04 AM
  • Hi team,

    I have a very surprising issue. i have take a machine and trying to configure 3 user's profile from intranet as well as internet its working fine on the same machine. but when i am trying to configure a another user's outlook profile on the same machine with internet its not configuring however from intranet for the same user its configure successfully.

    we have checked all settings and it seems all is fine.

    Please let me know where it would be problem.

    we are using exchange 2013 and outlook version 2013.

    We also try tried to configure new outlook profile and getting same error. we also checked it on different machine and getting same. however another user's outlook profile is configuring on another machine also. but getting error for particular user only. and this is VIP user.


    Sunday, January 31, 2016 8:11 AM
  • It's been a while since I worked with local Exchange Servers, but what you're describing sounds like maybe some permissions aren't set right for the Autodiscover Service to work properly for that user who is having problems from the Internet. 

    Here is the documentation for configuring the Autodiscover Service:

    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124251(v=exchg.150).aspx

    I hope that helps you track down the problem.


    Kevin Remde US DX - IT Pro Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://aka.ms/FullofIT http://twitter.com/kevinremde


    • Edited by Kevin Remde Monday, February 1, 2016 4:16 PM
    Monday, February 1, 2016 4:16 PM