Windows 7 Blue Screen RRS feed

• Question

• My nieces laptop running windows 7 has the BSOD. The pc is about 6 months old, originally came with Vista but was upgraded to win 7. Was wondering if someone can help me out or give me some opinions as to what to do. I can restore the pc using recovery disc, but will that solve the problem?  Or is there some other method? Heres some info that I copied from the window that pops up after I reboot the pc after the error occurs:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
      OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
      Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:
      BCCode:    3b
      BCP1:    00000000C000001D
      BCP2:    FFFFF88000000000
      BCP3:    FFFFF880080B51A0
      BCP4:    0000000000000000
      OS Version:    6_1_7600
      Service Pack:    0_0
      Product:    768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
      C:\Windows\Minidump\052810-73476-01.dmp
      C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-144706-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

DZL1.

Friday, May 28, 2010 1:40 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the detailed response. It looks like the BCCode is always 3b. Ive had to reboot several times. If i go into safe mode it goes blue screen almost immediately. If i try running chkdsk says i cant cause disk is in use. I select reschedule but nothing happens. I restarted and gonna try chkdsk again to see what happens. Thanks again.

DZL1.

Hi,

If the BSOD issue also occurs in Safe Mode, the cause should be the hardware devices.

If the hard disk is good, I also would like to suggest you test the memory issue.

You may also perform the Device Clean Boot No.Compromise provided to narrow down the possible causes.

Otherwise, it is recommended to contact the computer vendor to diagnose and fix the hardware compatibility issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, May 31, 2010 6:06 AM

All replies

• You got bugcheck 0x3b - that's  SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.  The exception referenced is STATUS_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION - "Illegal Instruction" - "An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction."

The illegal instruction could be caused by a corrupted image (executable module) on disk, or memory corruption.  Consider running chkdsk on your drives, as well as SFC /SCANNOW.  Also check out the memory testing items, below.  Verifier may also be helpful.

Is the BCCode always 0x3b?

General guidance for dealing with bluescreens:

Consider running chkdsk on all partitions.  Let chkdsk complete on each partition and see if that helps.

Also consider running SFC /SCANNOW.

If you boot into safe mode, do you still experience bugchecks? What about if you do a clean boot, or device clean boot?

Consider testing memory with Windows Memory Diagnostic or memtest86. Note that memory that passes tests is not necessarily good memory - it just hasn't failed a test.  Consider systematically eliminating RAM from the system - run with a couple of modules for a while, and see how things go. Then try the other modules.

Other common suggestions include ensuring drivers are up to date, as well as ensuring that you're using the latest BIOS. 

It can be helpful to use Driver Verifier.  To enable Driver Verifier... start->verifier.exe->OK->Create standard settings->Next->select driver names from a list->Next->sort by Provider->select all non-Microsoft drivers->Finish, and OK your way out of the dialog.

Then, reboot and use the system as you normally would, and wait for a problem.  In the event that the system does not boot completely after enabling driver verifier, boot into Safe Mode and run driver verifier, and tell it to delete the changes.

Wait for a bugcheck to occur after enabling verifier as described, and then upload the dump to your SkyDrive, and provide a link.

Can you upload the contents of c:\windows\minidump to your SkyDrive and provide a link?
    • Proposed as answer by No.Compromise Friday, June 4, 2010 2:10 AM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 2:21 PM
  • Thanks for the detailed response. It looks like the BCCode is always 3b. Ive had to reboot several times. If i go into safe mode it goes blue screen almost immediately. If i try running chkdsk says i cant cause disk is in use. I select reschedule but nothing happens. I restarted and gonna try chkdsk again to see what happens. Thanks again.

DZL1.

Friday, May 28, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Ok no matter what i try it doesnt give me enough time to complete a task before it goes BSOD. Suggestions? Thanks.

DZL1.

Friday, May 28, 2010 3:35 PM
  • Try chkdsk from a system recovery command prompt, perhaps?  

Did the behavior start after a recent hardware or software change?  Safe mode bluescreens almost immedately; a regular boot, as well?

Friday, May 28, 2010 4:11 PM
  • Ok ran chkdsk like you said. It came back with results very fast. Is that normal?I just typed in chkdsk /c. Is that correct? It seems like it should take a while to check the hard drive for bad sectors. Results came back in less than 10 seconds. BTW  it states windows has checked the file sysytem and found no problems.

Not sure when problem started. Not my pc. Niece uses it for college. states that it just started happening.

As far as regular boot, sometimes it goes to BSOD within a couple minutes, sometimes 15 minutes or more.

Friday, May 28, 2010 4:36 PM
  • chkdsk /f c: will tell Windows to check the C drive, and fix problems it finds.  Check for / recover readable info from bad sectors is the /r switch; I'd suggest waiting a bit before using that switch.

Note that in seemingly rare cases, depending on the type of corruption that may found, some have reported that chkdsk /f has caused them to lose data.  Hopefully, there is a backup of data or you are able to back data up to some sort of external device, prior to running chkdsk with the /f (fix) switch.

(I've personally run chkdsk on hundreds of drives and never encountered data loss as a result, but since the possibility exists...)

Are you sure you're not able to grab the crash dumps (even to copy them to a removable device like a USB flash drive) and upload them from another system?  That may provide a bit more detail.  Still, chkdsk and SFC would be important elements to go through in this case.

Friday, May 28, 2010 5:08 PM
  • ok i did chkdsk/f c: like you said above, and this time it took alot longer to complete the search for bad sectors. Still came back with no problem found.

I also tried to get the dump file, but when i try to open it it says that it cant read the dmp file. I was gonna try and copy onto a flash drive and then the pc went bsod

Im not having any luck with this paper weight. Its not allowing me to give you the info you need to help me out.

Ok i was able to get the most recent dump onto a flash drive, now i just have to find a way to be able to read it.

Friday, May 28, 2010 5:58 PM
  • Try copying the file to a flash drive again.  It is unlikely the system has software on it that can read a dump file.

chkdsk /f didn't check for bad sectors;  if you've got some time to burn, feel free to use the /r switch now (the time it takes to run will depend on the speed of the system and any problems that may be found).

Are you able to run sfc /scannow from the system recovery command prompt?  Else, you may wish to try startup repair.

Friday, May 28, 2010 6:02 PM
  • tried sfc /scannow and it says: there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. restart windows and run sfc again.

Ok so i did that but it just comes up with the same response.

Gonna try the /r switch now

Friday, May 28, 2010 6:08 PM
  • The issue with SFC is that you need to run it from within Windows, and Windows may stay up long enough to let it complete.  If you boot into Windows again and run SFC /SCANNOW, do you still get the message that a system repair is pending?

This could be file corruption that SFC or a startup repair could fix, or it could be related to some hardware failure, perhaps RAM or disk.  

Friday, May 28, 2010 6:12 PM
  • will try that as soon as chkdsk r is complete. Or can i exit out of it? Its currently on stage 4 of 5 but its only at 11% complete. Looks like this last stage is the one that is time consuming?
    Friday, May 28, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Yes, what's left will be time consuming.  Don't sweat it - let chkdsk run to completion.
    Friday, May 28, 2010 6:31 PM
  • ok thanks.
    Friday, May 28, 2010 6:43 PM
  • Ok chkdsk r is complete. Came back with no errors. gonna try sfc within windows
    Friday, May 28, 2010 8:42 PM
  • Very well!  Let's hope it finds problems, fixes them, and that takes care of the problem! 
    Friday, May 28, 2010 9:17 PM
  • I hope so. Whether it does or doesn't, I really appreciate all your time and effort in trying to help me out. Will inform you of results.
    Friday, May 28, 2010 9:29 PM
  • If not, next step is to try to get the dumps off of the system and focus on RAM testing, it seems.
    Friday, May 28, 2010 9:36 PM
  • Ok. Its done and came back with this result: Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations.
    Friday, May 28, 2010 9:49 PM
  • Can you try to copy the dumps and then upload them?
    Friday, May 28, 2010 10:00 PM
  • Do i copy all dumps or just most recent? Also how do i upload to this site? Also they're in dmp file extension. i cant read them.
    Friday, May 28, 2010 10:08 PM
  • You don't need to open them, just transfer them.  The more dumps, the better.  If you can ZIP them into one file and upload that, that would be nice. :-)

This link has instructions on how to use SkyDrive to upload the file(s).  Then post the link to the file(s) here.

Friday, May 28, 2010 10:19 PM
  • I was able to get all of todays dumps before it bsod'ed on me. Heres the link:

http://cid-b6c09775f1a2faea.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Dump%20Files/DMP%20Files.zip

Thank you.

Friday, May 28, 2010 10:32 PM
  • What model laptop is it? IBM/Lenovo by any chance?
    Friday, May 28, 2010 10:54 PM
  • Its a Gateway NV52
    Friday, May 28, 2010 10:57 PM
  • Also - can you get in to enable verifier as described in my initial post, and then restart after enabling verifier?
    Friday, May 28, 2010 10:57 PM
  • These drivers are old / stale, and should be removed to check the issue, or updated.  Some may be found here.  You might also check into updating the BIOS.

wanatw64.sys 4/11/2005  (AOL? WAN Miniport driver)

mdmxsdk.sys 6/19/2006  Conexant Modem

AtiPcie.sys 11/6/2006  PCI Express driver

usbfilter.sys 5/28/2008  USB upper class filter driver for AMD SB700 chipsets

ahcix64s.sys 9/22/2008  AHCI storage driver

XAudio64.sys 11/4/2008 Conexant?

SynTP.sys 2/5/2009   Synaptics touch pad driver

CAX_CNXT.sys 2/13/2009  Conexant Modem

CAXHWAZL.sys 2/13/2009  Conexant Modem

CAX_DPV.sys 2/13/2009  Conexant Modem

RTSTOR64.SYS 2/23/2009 Realtek media card reader

amdsbs.sys 3/20/2009 AMD Technology AHCI Compatible Controller Driver 

NTIDrvr.sys 3/24/2009 (NewTech Infosystems / UB Funky related?)

k57nd60a.sys 4/26/2009 Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet driver

UBHelper.sys 4/27/2009 UB Funky driver?

Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor before upgrading? Are you able to run it now?

One other thing to consider working through... there is some Symantec software installed on the system.  That is rather "heavy" AV / security software, and can be involved in issues like this.  It may be that uninstalling the software would eliminate it from consideration, or indicate if it is involved.  But, that step may be taken later.

Friday, May 28, 2010 11:09 PM
  • I didnt perform the win 7 upgrade. I performed the upgrade advisor and came back with 4 issues.

-Adobe air

-launch manager

-symantec endpoint protection

-weatherbug

I will try to run verifier and see if i can update all those drivers.

• Edited by DZL1 Friday, May 28, 2010 11:57 PM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 11:41 PM
  • Tried running verifier but pc crashed. Let me try again.
    Friday, May 28, 2010 11:55 PM
  • Can you uninstall the items listed in the Upgrade Advisor report, and then run the Upgrade Advisor again?

For verifier  -perhaps only enable it on 1/2 or 1/4 of the non-Microsoft drivers at a time - note which ones.  If you continue to have problems booting, move on to the next group, etc.  Try to isolate which driver(s) may be contributing to the problems booting.

Saturday, May 29, 2010 1:34 PM
  • Ok I uninstalled all four items listed in upgrade advisor, pc ran great for a very long time. I thought we figured it out but no luck it still bsod'ed on me. Will try verifier now.
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 11:45 AM

DZL1.

Hi,

If the BSOD issue also occurs in Safe Mode, the cause should be the hardware devices.

If the hard disk is good, I also would like to suggest you test the memory issue.

You may also perform the Device Clean Boot No.Compromise provided to narrow down the possible causes.

Otherwise, it is recommended to contact the computer vendor to diagnose and fix the hardware compatibility issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, May 31, 2010 6:06 AM
  • Can you provide the latest dump?  ...also, is safe mode behaving better?
    Monday, May 31, 2010 4:54 PM