Blue screen problem RRS feed

• Question

• This is the first time I've posted in here. The past couple of days I have been getting a blue screen This is the info I have: Problem event name: Blue screen OS version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3 Locale ID: 4105 Files that help describe the problem: 022713-37736-01.dmp sysdata.xml WERInternalMetadata.xml Extra info about the problem: BCCode: 50 BCP1: FFFFF8815409C560 BCP2: 0000000000000000 BCP3: FFFFF880579E5A8 BCP4: 0000000000000005 OS version 6_1_7601 Service pack 1_0 Product. 768_1 I am not good with computers, so any info on what the problem is and how to fix it would be appreciated. Thank you in advance, -Jessica
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:44 PM

Answers

•  We do need the actual DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.
    You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.
    If you are overclocking stop.  (chances are if you dont know if you are, you are not)a
    To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:

* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
    * Zip up the copy.
    * Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button. (if available on  your site, MS doesnt have this)
     *Please upload them to a file sharing service like Skydrive or"Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.
    Link for how to  upload below.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Use-SkyDrive

To ensure minidumps are enabled:

* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
    * Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
    * Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
    * Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
    * Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
    * OK your way out.
    * Reboot if changes have been made.

Please also run MSinfo32 and upload the output as well.
    To run MSinfo32 please go to start>run>MSinfo32
    Go to "file" "save" and upload the saved file with the DMPS
    (Instructions for XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8)
    System specs are often useful so include whatever you know

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag.

• Marked as answer by JessicaR84 Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:00 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:42 PM
  • Zigzag has the best quick writeup on posting your dump files. Ignore my post and just do his.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

• Marked as answer by JessicaR84 Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:58 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:54 PM
  • Jessica,

Let's try this as an alternative...

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file here (if you can) to skydrive or a file sharing service

Dyami & Wanikiya ...Team ZigZag.

• Marked as answer by JessicaR84 Sunday, March 3, 2013 4:57 AM
    Friday, March 1, 2013 6:12 PM
  • Jessica,

It looks like your machine has a hardware issue of some sort.

The following link has some useful information on this.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559023(v=vs.85).aspx

Although your best bet might to be to follow this guide to post the actual crash dumph to this forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

The files you want to post are in to your skydrive are in C:\Windows\Minidump

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:32 PM
  • Oops!

Jessica please try again.

What you downloaded was a text file.

Please refer again to

The procedure:
    * Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
    * Zip up the copy.
    * Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button. (if available on  your site, MS doesnt have this)
     *Please upload them to a file sharing service like Skydrive or"Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.

Friday, March 1, 2013 5:03 AM
  • Jessica

I am sorry to tell you that the folder where the DMP file is located is empty.  If you are having trouble with the instructions can you tell us where you are having problems.

• Marked as answer by JessicaR84 Sunday, March 3, 2013 4:56 AM
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:59 AM
  • Try the following:

Try copying the minidump files to a folder on the Desktop this way:

First, create a folder on the Desktop and call it Minidumps

Then open the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and do the following:

Organize > Select All > Organize > Copy

The open the Minidumps folder on the Desktop and do the following:

Organize > Paste

Then right-click the Minidumps folder > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.

Then upload the newly created compressed (zipped) folder to a public folder on Windows Live SkyDrive then provide a link here.

• Marked as answer by JessicaR84 Sunday, March 3, 2013 4:09 AM
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 8:24 PM
  • The minidump file showed the driver that appeared to cause the crash is the igdpmd64.sys:

BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x50_igdpmd64+15a5a8

The igdpmd64.sys, which is dated Jan 7, 2011, is Intel graphics driver.

What you can try is to update both the Intel graphics driver and the AMD/ATI graphics driver.

There appears to be newer drivers for both under "Video" in the following link:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/inspiron-15r-n5110

There could be even newer drivers available directly from Intel and AMD but you may want to try the ones from Dell first.

Also, were there any hardware or software changes that would have coincided with the appearance of the problem?

Sunday, March 3, 2013 3:25 AM
  • The problem still appears to be with the graphics.

Can you try running the following utilities to see if they pick up graphics driver updates:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

• Marked as answer by JessicaR84 Sunday, March 3, 2013 5:37 PM
    Sunday, March 3, 2013 1:02 PM

All replies

• Jessica,

It looks like your machine has a hardware issue of some sort.

The following link has some useful information on this.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559023(v=vs.85).aspx

Although your best bet might to be to follow this guide to post the actual crash dumph to this forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

The files you want to post are in to your skydrive are in C:\Windows\Minidump

Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:32 PM
  •  We do need the actual DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.
    You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.
    If you are overclocking stop.  (chances are if you dont know if you are, you are not)a
    To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:

* Zip up the copy.

To ensure minidumps are enabled:

* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
    * Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
    * Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
    * Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
    * Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
    * OK your way out.
    * Reboot if changes have been made.

Please also run MSinfo32 and upload the output as well.
    To run MSinfo32 please go to start>run>MSinfo32
    Go to "file" "save" and upload the saved file with the DMPS
    (Instructions for XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8)
    System specs are often useful so include whatever you know

Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:42 PM
  • Zigzag has the best quick writeup on posting your dump files. Ignore my post and just do his.

• Marked as answer by JessicaR84 Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:58 PM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:54 PM
  • As soon as I get home from work, I will do this as soon as I get home from work and post it
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:59 PM
  • Ok, here goes, I hope I did this right!  Please let me know if I did not, and if not, I apologize.  I am not the best at computers, so much patience is needed.

It won't let me send this message with a link for the skydrive, pleae tell me how to get the information to you :(

System specs (I'm just including whatever I think might be important, I'm not sure, but I'm just going to give you as much info as possible):

Windows 7 Home Premium

Service Pack 1

I own a dell computer, model:N5110

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz

Installed Memory (RAM): 6.00 GB

System Type: 64-bit operating system

Hard drive space:

Used space: 83.6GB

Free space: 367 GB

Hope this is what you need! Please let me know if anything more is needed, or if I need to re-do something.

Again, thank you for all your help.

-Jessica

Friday, March 1, 2013 2:24 AM
  • it says it needs to verify my account before it will let me upload links

Friday, March 1, 2013 2:25 AM
  • https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F576931D6EA57032!203&authkey=!AHc4llwX32eEIgA
    Friday, March 1, 2013 2:44 AM
  • ok, I think I got. Sorry!  Feeling pretty embarassed right now, but I hope this works :) TY TY!
    Friday, March 1, 2013 2:45 AM
  • Oops!

Jessica please try again.

What you downloaded was a text file.

Please refer again to

The procedure:
    * Zip up the copy.

Friday, March 1, 2013 5:03 AM
  • I'm sorry, but I followed instructions I found online on how to zip a document, and I have no idea how to do get what you need if this didn't work. This was all I could figure out to do. Sorry :-(
    Friday, March 1, 2013 6:31 AM
  • I downloaded win zip but its not working and I still can't get it into a zip file. No idea what I am doing here
    Friday, March 1, 2013 2:21 PM
  • Jessica,

Let's try this as an alternative...

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file here (if you can) to skydrive or a file sharing service

Friday, March 1, 2013 6:12 PM
  • ok, I think I have the minidump file compressed, fingers crossed! 

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F576931D6EA57032!204&authkey=!AEBKEGz-UsWsi7Y

Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:18 AM
  • my problem wasn't finding the info/file that you needed, but getting it compressed.  however, I think, and really hope, that I got it right this time.  Again, I appreciate all your time and help, and patience, with me :) TY in advance :)
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:19 AM
  • Jessica

I am sorry to tell you that the folder where the DMP file is located is empty.  If you are having trouble with the instructions can you tell us where you are having problems.

• Marked as answer by JessicaR84 Sunday, March 3, 2013 4:56 AM
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:59 AM
  • My problem is getting the file to compress. I cannot get it zipped
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 6:42 AM
  • I have the document. I have it saved to another location like instructed. I just can't get it zipped. I have even installed software to do so, and I still cannot get the mini dump document Zipped. I can create a compressed file, but any documents inside it are not compressed
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 6:45 AM
  • I have also noticed that the computer crashes when I use explorer, but not Firefox
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 6:47 AM
  • https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F576931D6EA57032!205&authkey=!AOa6Sn0UZUvyYsI
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:24 PM
  • it says .zip, so if its no compressed, then I have no idea why or how to do it, because I have tried everything to zip this file.

:(

Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:26 PM
  • Try the following:

Try copying the minidump files to a folder on the Desktop this way:

First, create a folder on the Desktop and call it Minidumps

Then open the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and do the following:

Organize > Select All > Organize > Copy

The open the Minidumps folder on the Desktop and do the following:

Organize > Paste

Then right-click the Minidumps folder > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.

Then upload the newly created compressed (zipped) folder to a public folder on Windows Live SkyDrive then provide a link here.

Saturday, March 2, 2013 8:24 PM
  • Those are exactly the steps I followed, and what I got was a compressed file with a word document inside it. But the document itself was not compressed. I've installed software to help me compress the document, still no luck. Hence my frustration
    Sunday, March 3, 2013 12:26 AM
  • But I will try it again with your instructions :-)
    Sunday, March 3, 2013 12:27 AM
  • https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F576931D6EA57032!204&authkey=!AMG-XIisPZwxA_g

Sunday, March 3, 2013 1:22 AM
  • https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F576931D6EA57032!165&authkey=!AMVUaImodoeSFDc

Sorry, the other one was not in a public folder. this one is the one that is in a public folder.

Sunday, March 3, 2013 1:26 AM
  • The minidump file showed the driver that appeared to cause the crash is the igdpmd64.sys:

BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x50_igdpmd64+15a5a8

The igdpmd64.sys, which is dated Jan 7, 2011, is Intel graphics driver.

What you can try is to update both the Intel graphics driver and the AMD/ATI graphics driver.

There appears to be newer drivers for both under "Video" in the following link:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/inspiron-15r-n5110

There could be even newer drivers available directly from Intel and AMD but you may want to try the ones from Dell first.

Also, were there any hardware or software changes that would have coincided with the appearance of the problem?

Sunday, March 3, 2013 3:25 AM
  • The only thing I can think of was that I installed a toolbar thing on my internet from avira, but I uninstalled avira and went back to mcafee on thursday (just preference).

Could there be anything remaining behind that may still be causing problems?  Should I uninstall Internet Explorer? Its when I use internet explorer that my computer crashes, I am on firefox right now, and have no problems.

Sunday, March 3, 2013 4:09 AM
  • I am having trouble installing these drivers.... it says:

This self-extracting zip file is part of a multidisk zip file. Please insert the last disk of the set.

??? I have no idea what its asking me to do, or no idea about any disk.

Sunday, March 3, 2013 4:15 AM
  • I'll keep trying....one wouldn't install, the system wouldn't recognize it, and the other it said it was an older version.  So I'll go check the intel website, and see what they have

Sunday, March 3, 2013 4:28 AM
  • https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F576931D6EA57032!207&authkey=!ACGP_-SHBSddnbU

I updated the recommended driver, and when I opened up explorer it crashed again. 

I think I might try uninstalling explorer, and reinstalling???? 

I have no idea why it works fine with firefox, and not with explorer.

Sunday, March 3, 2013 5:52 AM
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work. My computer still crashes when I use Internet explorer
    Sunday, March 3, 2013 6:35 AM
  • The problem still appears to be with the graphics.

Can you try running the following utilities to see if they pick up graphics driver updates:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

• Marked as answer by JessicaR84 Sunday, March 3, 2013 5:37 PM
    Sunday, March 3, 2013 1:02 PM
  • I had done the intel one already, but I had the wrong AMD one, so once I fixed that, the problem appears to be resolved!  I am able to use internet explorer now, and the computer has not crashed.  Only thing was somewhere in the process, it made everything on my desktop larger (font, files, internet browsers), so I just have to figure out how to get it to go back to normal.  But other than that, everything seems to work!

Thank you everyone, for all your patience and your help :) It is GREATLY appreciated :)

Sunday, March 3, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Got it figured out, screen looks back to normal :)  And still no problems with explorer, everything is working great.

Thank you again for all the help!  There was no way I would have ever figured this out on my own, and thank you again for your patience and perseverance with me :P 

-Jessica

Sunday, March 3, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Thanks for the follow-up, Jessica.

Glad to see it's working now.

Sunday, March 3, 2013 8:21 PM