multiple logins RRS feed

• Question

• My wife and I each have a login and often when we are both logged in 'switch user' will not bring up the other's login, and there is no way to get to it except re-booting.

This is an HP Pavillion, duo-core with 4 gig of memory. Previously ran OEM Vista.
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 10:53 PM

All replies

• If I understand your description, as both user profiles are in use, and you try to then have one user log onto the other profile while the other user is still logged on, it is expected behavior that no user profile would be available to log on and the switch screen would be disabled. Create a third user profile on that system, and you will get the switch option screen again.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Monday, June 8, 2009 3:37 PM
  • I just logged onto all three of my computers user profiles and can still quickly and easily switch accounts, Mark.

Joe, I know a few ways to connect to accounts:

Through an admin tskmgr:
    Users [tab] -> RMB on the account you want to switch to (it has to already be logged in to appear) -> Connect

Through the Start Menu:
    Click the More options button next to the default action button (usually Shut down ) -> Switch users

Through CTRL+ALT+DEL:
    Well... yeah.

All three work for me with 3/3 accounts logged in. Of course, you're having problems so I'm not sure how much this will help you. :-)
    Monday, June 8, 2009 5:59 PM
  • Sorry, no. We are both logged in, and remain so. From Start, go to the right arrow next to the shutdown button. Pick 'switch user' - goes to a 'screen saver' type display with two icon buttons, one for each user. Pick the one NOT most recently in use - nothing happens. Have to reboot to get to the 2nd user.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:25 AM
  • I've had it where it would show only the currently-logged-in-user's icon and I would just press CTRL-ALT-DELETE or ESC to force it back to a regular logon screen. It seems to just get "stuck" at times.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:54 AM
  • Well, now it's worse. We rebooted to overcome the above problem and now Win7 won't boot at all! I ran the diagnostics from my install disk and then restored a three-day prior version, but all I get is an active cursor on a blank screen! I may have to re-install Win7. Yikes!
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:15 PM
  • By this time you will have reinstalled. Did it work? You seem to have some kind of driver file corruption or incompatibility. The Action center in control panel will probably have info in the Maintenance area.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:36 PM
  • Were or are both accounts password protected?

Friday, June 12, 2009 4:29 PM