none
Project Server 2010 - Rejecting Update On Fixed Duration Task Requires Project Manager Intervention RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Assume there is a 5d fixed duration task that is scheduled ASAP from 10/1/2013 to 10/7/2013 with a single resource assigned.

The assignment finishes the work on 10/4 and submits an update, but accidentally enters an actual finish date of 11/4.

The status manager recognizes the error and rejects the update.

At this point, it appears that there is nothing that the assignment owner can do to correct the problem. If they change the actual finish and resubmit, it looks like everything is OK. But, there are changes to the task that will ultimately get applied when the corrected status update is accepted. These are all related to the initial/rejected status update:

- The duration will be changed to 25d

- The constraint type will be change to Finish No Earlier Than

- The constraint date will be set to 11/4/2013The assignment owner changes the actual finish to 10/4 and re-submits.

The only way to resolve the problem is for the status manager to open the project and update the task. Is this "as expected", or am I missing something. BTW, this is on SharePoint, Project Server and Project 2010 SP2.

Thanks,

Erik

Erik RHS

Monday, November 4, 2013 6:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Erik,

I would say this is 'not as expected' or not 'reasonable'.  The process I would expect should be that when the status manager rejects the task it goes back to the resource who should then resubmit the assignment update.  As the status manager rejects the task they should add a not that says 'fix the actual finish date'. 

It sounds like what your seeing is that the rejection does not reset the task to the state the task was in before it was updated by the resource (?).  If that's the case you may want to think about using a different tracking method other that actual work/time. 

I would agree with you that it is reasonable that the task should be fully reset but I'm not sure that is the way the tool works..  You assumption of having to open the task in Project in Project Pro and reset it manually may be the only option.

Friday, December 6, 2013 9:56 PM
  • Joe,

Thanks for the reply. After testing a number of scenarios for statusing in PWA, my client and I agreed that it would not work for them. We will be doing anther eval of the same scenarios on Project Server 2013 next year and hopefully things will work better.

Cheers,

Erik

Erik RHS

Friday, December 6, 2013 10:17 PM