none
Estimated duration of work time that does not include the non working hours RRS feed

• Question

• Firstly, apologies for what could be an obvious question or if its been answered previously – I have just started to use MS Project 2010 (Windows 7)

I am looking for a field that I can use that will show me only how long the work will take without including any “downtime” (i.e. the non-working time on this task)

For example I have a reoccurring task of a weekly 1 hour meeting that 3 people are to attend the meeting for the whole hour each.  There are 22 of these weekly meetings scheduled.

What I want is a field that will show the duration of 22hrs and not what is currently showing in my Duration field of 736 hrs.

I have already assigned the 3 people to the reoccurring meeting to a 1 hour fixed duration

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Linz

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:37 PM

All replies

• Linz, you're almost there - you have already started working with the task Duration and that is where you would find the working time on a task. In your case, you would have 22 separate tasks, each of 1 hour, representing the 22 different weekly meetings.

Since you are working with people's time and you want to know the total Work (another task field), you would assign the three resources to each of the 22 tasks and end up with each meeting task having a duration of 1 hour and work of 3 hours.

In the particular case of recurring tasks such as meetings, there is a recurring task function (Task:Insert tab) where you can define the set of meetings and has a similar effect to you creating the 22 tasks individually.

Note that if you have a summary task under which all the meeting tasks are shown, the duration of this summary task will be from the beginning of the firat meeting to the end of the last one (~106 days).

If you really want to represent all the meetings in one task, it is possible to split the task. That's when you see the dotted lines in the Gantt chart - the dotted line parts do not could towards the duration. I suggest you don't use this approach until you are more familiar with how task definitions work.

Graham

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Hi Linz,

Assuming you have created the meetings as recurring, add the Work field to the table (left side) and you should see 22 hours of Work.  In Project the duration of a summary task (top line in the recurring meeting list) is the span of time from the first meeting to the last meeting. 

I hope this helps.

Julie

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Would second Julie's comment, insert Work Field it will show 22 hrs. when you assign 1 hr in work field of each occurrence(if you have assigned 3 resources on individual occurrence and not on Summary Level of the meeting task.) Each resource work will be 0.33 hrs.Duration Field will be calculated by difference between Start of first occurrence and finish of last.

Sapna Shukla

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:32 PM
  • Thanks all, you have saved my already frazzled brain!
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:36 PM
  • You're welcome.  I hope we didn't frazzle it further.
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:44 PM