none
DPM 2012 - backups only starts when cancelled RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Firstly, our configuration in a nutshell:

7 Hyper-V Windows 2008R2 host setup in one cluster. about 100 virtual machines running on it.
    The system is backed up with DPM 2012 and runs every night at 10pm.

The problem (very strange one):
    We've recently moved some virtual machine storage (configuation and VHDs) to local storage on one of the hosts within the cluster (these machines are now no longer highly available).
    Since this happen, when the backup starts, all the virtual machines located on local storage are backing up fine, but all the virtual machine still on shared storage (SAN with CSV) are no longer backing up.
    The job starts and gets stuck on status "In Progess" (I left it running for over 100 hours), but the strange thing is still to come: if I cancel those job, the status changes to "Attempting to cancel" (as expected), but in the background the backup actually starts and the jobs is only cancelled when the backup is completed!

Even more strange: nothing is logged in the event logs of either the DPM server or the Hyper-V hosts.

I of course tried to reboot the server, but no joy.

As anyone seen this before? Any suggestion is welcome.

Thank you,
    Stephane

Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:56 PM

All replies

• I never found what caused the problem, but in case other have the same issue, upgrading DPM to 2012 R2, fixed it.

Stephane

Thursday, December 5, 2013 6:27 AM