none
Microsoft Mashup Evaluation Container maxes CPU opening doc only on 64bit Excel RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently noticed that when opening a document in Excel 64 bit, the Mashup Container kicks off 4-6 processes that max the CPU for anywhere from 2 - 10 minutes. Opening this same document on 32 bit Excel does not have this problem. I have reproduced the 64 bit issue on 2 separate machines. What gives?
    Friday, August 14, 2015 4:45 PM

Answers

• I am using Version: 2.33.4337.481 64-bit on Excel 2013 64bits. There is an option to prevent data preview from downloading in the background.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 12:14 PM
  • Hi Jim. We're aware of this issue and will be addressing it in a future release. When you open the Excel document, Power Query begins pre-caching the results of your queries so that when the PQ Editor is opened, the results are immediately available. However, in some cases this can cause the kinds of unfortunate side effects you're observing.

Ehren

Monday, August 17, 2015 7:56 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Jim. We're aware of this issue and will be addressing it in a future release. When you open the Excel document, Power Query begins pre-caching the results of your queries so that when the PQ Editor is opened, the results are immediately available. However, in some cases this can cause the kinds of unfortunate side effects you're observing.

Ehren

Monday, August 17, 2015 7:56 PM
    Owner
  • This is still a problem.. takes 4 CPUs up to a total of 100% for a LONG time.. 

It's a big source on the file, but annoying that you cannot deactivate the caching. 

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 2:59 PM
  • Fenixxen, we are planning to allow you to disable background caching soon, hopefully in the next update cycle. 

Peter Q. http://blogs.msdn.com/peter_qian

Thursday, January 7, 2016 12:57 AM
  • Hi Jim,

I have the May release of Power BI and Excel 2013 and still facing this problem. Please let em know which version was this fix applied? Is there a new option to disable the caching?

Kaushal

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 11:20 AM
  • I am using Version: 2.33.4337.481 64-bit on Excel 2013 64bits. There is an option to prevent data preview from downloading in the background.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 12:14 PM