Vista Media Center No longer recognizes TV tuner RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 until recently. After a Windows automatic updates got done it quit. After frustration, and doing two restore points back to when it worked.. and still didnt. I reformatted the drive and started from scratch. I downloaded the latest drivers from Hauppage, and setup Media Center, Everything was great once more.. Then I loaded Office 2007, Vista SP1 after the reboot, MC quit working once more. Rolled back to an earlier restore point again it failed.

I get the ehreceiver.exe error, and TV Card not detected. This sucks.. WinTV, the application that came with it works fine. but I really liked being able to record and watching the play back on the Plasma thru the Xbox360.

Any assistance is very welcome.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:51 AM

Answers

•  WalterK wrote:

I have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 until recently. After a Windows automatic updates got done it quit. After frustration, and doing two restore points back to when it worked.. and still didnt. I reformatted the drive and started from scratch. I downloaded the latest drivers from Hauppage, and setup Media Center, Everything was great once more.. Then I loaded Office 2007, Vista SP1 after the reboot, MC quit working once more. Rolled back to an earlier restore point again it failed.

I get the ehreceiver.exe error, and TV Card not detected. This sucks.. WinTV, the application that came with it works fine. but I really liked being able to record and watching the play back on the Plasma thru the Xbox360.

Thanks

Weird.

I have the HVR-1600 in my Vista Home Premium 64bit and use media center just fine even after SP1.

Try the following:

Download the Hauppaugh HVR-1600 drivers and extract them to a directory that won't get overwritten if you reinstall windows vista. The extraction process will create several sub-directories, including a DRIVERS directory you'll access later.

Reinstall Windows Vista from scratch.

Install the motherboard drivers (including sound and networking and USB and SMB Bus drivers)

Install the Video Card Drivers

When you're done with the above, the HVR-1600 should be the only item to show up in Device Manager as not being installed correctly, but it will show up.

Then, all you should go to its properties in device manager and click the "update driver" button, then navigate to the DRIVERS directory that was created when you extracted the hauppauge software. The wizard should find and install them.

Apply all PRE-SP1 updates

You may find one that does not load through Windows Update. If one of the updates errors out, load it manually and continue on to load the SP1. You should be able to load it.

If all goes well, create your restore point after SP1 completes its update process.

Then, and only then, load Office. If something in Office is causing problems, you should be able to restore to your post SP1 restore point. If that doesn't work,

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:45 PM

All replies

•  WalterK wrote:

Thanks

Weird.

I have the HVR-1600 in my Vista Home Premium 64bit and use media center just fine even after SP1.

Try the following:

Download the Hauppaugh HVR-1600 drivers and extract them to a directory that won't get overwritten if you reinstall windows vista. The extraction process will create several sub-directories, including a DRIVERS directory you'll access later.

Reinstall Windows Vista from scratch.

Install the motherboard drivers (including sound and networking and USB and SMB Bus drivers)

Install the Video Card Drivers

When you're done with the above, the HVR-1600 should be the only item to show up in Device Manager as not being installed correctly, but it will show up.

Then, all you should go to its properties in device manager and click the "update driver" button, then navigate to the DRIVERS directory that was created when you extracted the hauppauge software. The wizard should find and install them.

Apply all PRE-SP1 updates

You may find one that does not load through Windows Update. If one of the updates errors out, load it manually and continue on to load the SP1. You should be able to load it.

If all goes well, create your restore point after SP1 completes its update process.

Then, and only then, load Office. If something in Office is causing problems, you should be able to restore to your post SP1 restore point. If that doesn't work,

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:45 PM
  • You may have nailed it. I formatted, reinstalled Vista Ultimate, Did everything you said short of installing of any Office product, It works great. I ran windows update, until there wasnt any, and it still works. Which as you alluded to means more than likely something in Office Enterprise 2007 may cause it to fail. So after I do a complete backup, I'll give it a try.

Thanks a lot!

Saturday, August 23, 2008 3:21 AM