none
SharePoint 2016 feature activation issue: Project Web App Permission for Excel Web App Refresh RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have SharePoint 2016 on perm with PWA on it and its showing blank value in reports only for "Project Overview Dashboard".

After googled, i found i need to activate feature "Project Web App Permission for Excel Web App Refresh" but i am getting issues in activating the same. Also I have tried using powershell command. 

Here is SP log i got: 

Feature receiver assembly 'Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Extensibility, Version=16.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c', class 'Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Extensibility.SPProjectServerBIPermissionFeatureEventHandler', method 'FeatureActivated' for feature '96c85529-98f5-4a10-8ff5-2a479d34a92a' threw an exception: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.  Parameter name: appPrincipal    
     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Extensibility.SPProjectServerBIPermissionFeatureEventHandler.FeatureActivated(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.DoActivationCallout(Boolean fActivate, Boolean fForce)

Feature Activation: Threw an exception, attempting to roll back.  Feature 'PWABIPerm' (ID: '96c85529-98f5-4a10-8ff5-2a479d34a92a').  Exception: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.  Parameter name: appPrincipal    
     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Extensibility.SPProjectServerBIPermissionFeatureEventHandler.FeatureActivated(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.DoActivationCallout(Boolean fActivate, Boolean fForce)    
     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.Activate(SPSite siteParent, SPWeb webParent, SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPFeatureActivateFlags activateFlags, Boolean fForce)

Environment: SharePoint 2016 on perm with PWA

Is this related to app pool account? If so what is the best approach to fix this issue?

Thanks

Deepak

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 2:20 PM

All replies

• I suspect your issue may be around Excel Services and Secure Store settings - this article refers to Project Server 2013 - I would imagine things have not changed significantly in 2016 as far as this aspect of the solution is concerned.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 2:56 PM
  • Thanks Dominic for your quick response.  But in Sharepoint 2016 there is no excel app service like in SP2013.

So this solution will not fix my problem

but thanks for sharing and looking above issue.

Deepak

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 3:07 PM
  • Hello,

That feature is for the Project Online Excel Online refresh for Project Odata reports. Excel reports based on the OData feeds would need to be refreshed in the Excel client for On-prem (Project Server). If you want Excel reports to refresh in Excel Online in Project Server 2016 - you will need to use the OLAP cube or SQL Queries as the Excel report data sources, not OData. You will also need to install and configure Office Online Server.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Friday, June 8, 2018 9:43 PM
  • Hello,

That feature is for the Project Online Excel Online refresh for Project Odata reports. Excel reports based on the OData feeds would need to be refreshed in the Excel client for On-prem (Project Server). If you want Excel reports to refresh in Excel Online in Project Server 2016 - you will need to use the OLAP cube or SQL Queries as the Excel report data sources, not OData. You will also need to install and configure Office Online Server.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Are you saying with out Office online server, I can't see data in Excel reports? If so why other reports are getting data, does not make any sense to me.

Monday, June 11, 2018 6:52 PM
  • Hello,

I'm talking about what was known as Excel Services in the on-premises world, in SP2016 this was replaced with Excel Online in Office Online Server : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/what-s-new/what-s-deprecated-or-removed-from-sharepoint-server-2016#excel-services-in-sharepoint

Typically for on-prem you would use the OLAP cube or direct SQL for your Excel reports - these will refresh in the Excel Online once the report config is set up correctly.

Paul

Monday, June 11, 2018 8:46 PM