Create Alert for an Email Enabled List? RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a custom list (List A) in our SharePoint environment that is currently email enabled and receiving emails correctly.  I have a second contacts list List B) on which I would like to create an alert for my first list.  So, any time changes are made in List B an alert will be sent to the email enabled List A.  However, I am having trouble accomplishing this even though I have tried it a number of ways.

• Creating the alert and typing in the email address for List A.  The email address does not resolve, I am guessing because in Exchange it is a contact, not a user.
    • Creating an A/D security group with email address and adding the List A contact as a member.  The group will resolve when creating the alert, but the email is never received.  If I include my own user account as a member also I do get the emails successfully, but they never make it to List A.
    • Creating an A/D user with email address and forwarding to the List A contact.  The new user will resolve when creating the alert, but the email is never received.  If I forward to my own user account I do get the emails successfully.

Am I missing something, or is there some other way to accomplish what I am trying to do?  I am using MOSS 2007 SP2.

Thanks in advance!
    Chanda

Monday, August 29, 2011 3:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Chanda,

First, please make sure that steps for enabling e-mail for a SharePoint List are correct, here is a video about “How Do I: E-mail-Enable a SharePoint List”, you can refer to it for more information:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/sharepoint/Video/dd430330

Then create a new AD contact object, set the email address to the list email address, add the contact object to the DG/SG as a member, set alert on your contacts list ListB with contact object as the alert user, check whether this works.

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:05 PM

All replies

• Small update - I did some more testing and I can successfully send to List A via A/D group, but when I set up an alert for that group on List B neither the notification email or the actual alerts is received in List A.  Is there some reason that an alert would not be sent to/received by an email enabled list?

Thanks,
    Chanda

Monday, August 29, 2011 11:02 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you to implement event receivers in List B that will forward the alerts on List A when anything changes.

In the code you can define all conditions and mailID of List A.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:52 AM
  • Hello Rahul,

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am trying to avoid doing anything outside of the UI to keep things simple.  I am not a programmer and the only one that is responsible for administration of our SharePoint site, so the more that can be done via the standard interface the better in terms of maintenance for us.

Is there a way to see if the email is being sent to List A?  I have it narrowed down to an issue of only email alerts not being received, even though standard emails are, but I am not sure if the email is not being sent or just not being processed by List A when it is received.  Should the alert, if sent correctly to List A, be considered incoming email?  I just triggered an alert on the list and although I recieved a copy in my inbox (being a member of the group) it never showed up in List A and the SharePoint logs did not indicate that any incoming messages were processed, even though the timer service seems to be running fine.

Thanks,
    Chanda

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:58 PM
  • Hi Chanda,

First, please make sure that steps for enabling e-mail for a SharePoint List are correct, here is a video about “How Do I: E-mail-Enable a SharePoint List”, you can refer to it for more information:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/sharepoint/Video/dd430330

Then create a new AD contact object, set the email address to the list email address, add the contact object to the DG/SG as a member, set alert on your contacts list ListB with contact object as the alert user, check whether this works.

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:05 PM