none
Window 10 clone SID questions RRS feed

• Question

• HI all, Need some help to find some information and work around on this :

CaseI was preparing the image with no sys prep was done, total of 500 windows 10 and has been deployed out.

Here are my Questions:

1 What is the impact if Win10 SID is duplicate, any impact ?
    2 how to check if SID is duplicate? UUID and SID the same thing right?
    3 without sys prep will it duplicate the SID?
    4 Is changing the SID of the cloned machine still necessary for Window 10 environment?
    5 If there is an impact, can advise what need to do to fix this issue now?

6 without running the sysprep on win10, is there any other impact I should be concern about? 

I was advise to prepare the image using the sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown cmd and then capture an image before allow the system to boot from that OS again. but I forget it. now I am in trouble.
    Thank all for your help

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:04 AM

All replies

• Base on my opinion, it's uncessary to worry about Windows clone in domain environment.

SID is security ID, duplicate SID compromises security in Workgroup environments, and removable media security can also be compromised in networks with multiple identical computer SIDs.

but anyway, if you are in domain environment,  domain accounts have SID's based on the Domain SID.

UUID is another kind of identifier.

In the end, based on my experience, to generate an image for deployment, it's not very complex project. So, to get the best result, why don't you create a new image via sysprep? that's would give you a pure image for deployment.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:33 AM
  • Hi Chang,

In short, you need to sysprep your customized image then deploy it for your company’s clients, SID must be different on every client.

For your question:

1. If Win10 SID is duplicate, all clients will be considered as one client on DC, activation, domain-joined, security control cannot be completed.
    2. You could use whoami/all command in CMD to check current SID, UUID and SID are not same thing.
    3. Yes.
    4. Yes, once your Windows 10 image needs to be installed on another computers(not only one computer), changing SID is necessary.
    5. Without sysprep, you need to use other way to change the SID for image deployment, NewSID tool is not supported on Windows 10, the third-party SID change tool such as SIDCHG may take a risk, sysprep is only Microsoft recommend method.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 11, 2019 1:54 AM