none
Discrepancies between Project File and Visual Reports RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Project Standard 2010.  I have a full resource loaded schedule of which no work has started.  When I run any Visual Report that contains "Work" and "Cumulative Work" values, the numbers I see in the report do not match the numbers in the actual schedule.

For example, I have a resource, Resource 1, that according to the schedule is assigned 228.1 hrs worth of tasks over the course of a year (Oct 1, 2012 - Sept 30, 2012).  The "Resource Work Summary Report" shows that the same resource has a value of 380.05 for "Work".

How is the Report calculating the "Work" value for each resource if it is not simply a sum of the hours assigned in the schedule?

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 3:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Shawn,

Try this workaround:

1. In Project 2010, open the desired plan.

2. Goto File menu | Options| Schedule. Select Week starts on "Monday" and Fiscal Year Starts in "January". Click Ok.

3. Now create the "Resource Work Summary Report" again and compare the qtrly or weekly timephased work between project and Excel report.

I hope this works.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP)

• Proposed as answer by Roopkumar Kamat Friday, September 28, 2012 7:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Shawn.Gilbert Friday, October 5, 2012 3:08 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 9:28 AM

All replies

• I cannot reproduce the issue, could you please provide more detail and verify that your Project is patched with latest SP.

Sapna Shukla

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:28 PM
  • Shawn, I'm sure you've tried this so it would be interesting to hear what it shows... Try drilling in to more detailed timescales and see where the discrepancy occurs - or disappears. For instance, it might be an artifact of the year designation - for pProject the work occurs in two calendar years, in Visual Reports you get a total across both years.

What happens when you drill in to the quarterly level - do the values disagree in a particular quarter?

Graham

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 8:48 PM
  • Hi Shawn,

Try this workaround:

1. In Project 2010, open the desired plan.

2. Goto File menu | Options| Schedule. Select Week starts on "Monday" and Fiscal Year Starts in "January". Click Ok.

3. Now create the "Resource Work Summary Report" again and compare the qtrly or weekly timephased work between project and Excel report.

I hope this works.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP)

• Proposed as answer by Roopkumar Kamat Friday, September 28, 2012 7:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Shawn.Gilbert Friday, October 5, 2012 3:08 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Thank you for the response.  I've tried changing the week to start on Monday, but everytime it seems to break the ability to run any report, regardless of when I change the fiscal year start.  When the program tries to generate the OLAP cube, it crashes and gives the error "An unknown error has occurred. An error occurred and the requested action could not be completed at this time."
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Shawn,

To get rid of the error message "An unknown error has occured"  try this workaround:

In Visual Reports dialog box, select the desired report and then from "Select level of Usage data to include in the report" drop-down change the units. for eg. If unit is weeks change it to Month or year and click View.

An excel report will be generated. close the excel file without saving.

Using  Project 2010, You can now create the report again using Visual Reports and set the"Select level of Usage data to include in the report" units to the desired one.

I hope this works.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP) Please click Mark As Answer; if a post resolves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 12:36 PM
  • Graham, the discrepency seems to occur from one calendar year to the next.  My fiscal year is Oct 1, 2012 thru September 30, 2013.  I have these dates set as my project start and end dates, and there is no work assigned outside of these dates.

Here's what I see happening in the report:

By fiscal week, 'Week 1' = first week in October 2012, and 'Week 52' = last week in Sept 2013. 'Week 14' is the last fiscal week in 2012 calendar year. This 'Week 14' seems to be the problem. The fiscal weeks prior to 14 are fine and show an accurate workload. The work value for 'Week 14' = the remaining project work for the resource. It seems it wants the rest of the work assigned to the resource to be completed by the end of the calendar year.

However, the work in the 2013 calendar year is accurate and reflects what I would expect, and seems to ignore the 'Week 14' problem.

I hope I've explained well enough how the report is showing the numbers. I look forward to your response.

Shawn

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 12:43 PM
  • Shawn, I am using the 2007 product and testing it with various cumulative updates and service packs and I see the same thing. I wonder if you apply a resource usage view, timescale weekly, if you will see one value in the data column for work and a different value if you were to total all the timescaled values. Also if you apply a group to the view, like for example by Project, the timescaled total value changes again. Then apply a different timescale, ether days or months, and when totalling the timescaled values you would get different numbers.

Now using the Visual reports, you get a value that may or may not match one of the previous findings. Then publish the file and go look in PWA on some of the values either on a task level or resource level and you may find more variation. I found all of that using SP3 and the Dec 2011 and the Aug 2012 CU in the 2007 Pro SW.

As far as I can tell, the visual reports use all the decimal places for each work value. At least they show up in the report. While copying data from a timescaled view only gives 2 decimal places. I am not sure but it seems like some of the other views do not use all the decimal places and rounding is causing variation? My variations are small, but enough to cause a government customer to question the integrity of the data.

As for the Visual report problem where it does not want to run twice, that same problem exists in MSP2007 Pro with SP3 and the Dec 2011 CU and with the August 2012 CU. I had to restart MSP to get it to release so I could run it again. No idea what the issue is, but changing timescale from weeks did not fix it.

None of this may be helpful, but if you find the same variations throughout the different views as I did, I would like to know. Thanks.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Shawn,

Please try the workaround below:

In Visual Reports dialog box, select the "Resource Work Summary Report" and then from the "Select level of Usage data to include in the report" drop-down change the units to Days and click View.

In Excel Report, add the Weekly Calendar field in the Column label area of Pivot table. Drill down and check whether the discrepancy still exist on Week14 or is it showing correct values now.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP) Please click Mark As Answer; if a post resolves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.

Friday, October 5, 2012 11:53 AM
  • Hi Roopkumar,

Running the report by Days and then drilling down shows the correct data.  I'm still working on your other workaround to change the week start day and the fiscal year start.

Friday, October 5, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Changing the Week Start day to Monday and the Fiscal Year Start to January fixes the problem.  I can work with that change.  Thank you
    Friday, October 5, 2012 3:07 PM