MOSS 2007 document library with 50000 items RRS feed

• Question

• I have a document library in MOSS 2007 which contain 50000 items. The size is around 70GB. Right now it's working fine and there is no slowness or any performance issue but I am afraid it may not be like this forever. What can I do to improve this situation?

I am thinking of setting expiration on documents and when they expire, move them to a different document library in another site collection. But looks like this kind of behaviour is not available out of the box and I have to write a workflow for this.

Do you have a better solution?

Thursday, November 13, 2014 8:24 AM

All replies

• One very obvious question to ask is how rapidly the Library is growing.  If you can project when the Library will hit 100 Gb and 150 Gb, this might provide perspective on your situation.

We all know that 100 Gb is the "recommended" maximum for a content database, but this is definitely not a hard limit.  Depending on the number of users and the intensity of use, this can, in reality, go somewhat higher (if one looks at the total size rather than the number of item in a single Library).

I have a client with MOSS 2007 where I split a content database of over 400 Gb (160 000 docs) into a few separate databases, but even now there is one site collection with a database of about 140 Gb.

If you did want to clean out document, and you had clear criteria for doing so, then my approach would be to write a small coded solution.  This could be a Visual Studio Console Application that could traverse the entire Library once a month, say, and do the requisite move.

With a workflow, you could get action carried out on new or modified documents (or launch them manually), but it seems that your need is for an automated process that could go through all existing documents to test the given criteria.

Thursday, November 13, 2014 8:41 AM
  • Hi,

Please try to create a sharepoint timer job using visual studio. You can develop it to run daily, weekly etc.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc427068(v=office.12).aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc406686(v=office.12).aspx

Thanks,

Dilip

Thursday, November 13, 2014 8:46 AM
  • One very obvious question to ask is how rapidly the Library is growing.  If you can project when the Library will hit 100 Gb and 150 Gb, this might provide perspective on your situation.

We all know that 100 Gb is the "recommended" maximum for a content database, but this is definitely not a hard limit.  Depending on the number of users and the intensity of use, this can, in reality, go somewhat higher (if one looks at the total size rather than the number of item in a single Library).

I have a client with MOSS 2007 where I split a content database of over 400 Gb (160 000 docs) into a few separate databases, but even now there is one site collection with a database of about 140 Gb.

If you did want to clean out document, and you had clear criteria for doing so, then my approach would be to write a small coded solution.  This could be a Visual Studio Console Application that could traverse the entire Library once a month, say, and do the requisite move.

With a workflow, you could get action carried out on new or modified documents (or launch them manually), but it seems that your need is for an automated process that could go through all existing documents to test the given criteria.

You are right. In my case the size of content DB is over 170GB and there are no performance issues what so ever. May be it is due to the fact that there are few users who use SharePoint and good hardware.

Yes I want an automated process without user intervention.

What do you mean by split database? You mean a single content DB split over multiple MDF files in SQL Server or you have multiple content databases for site collections?

Thursday, November 13, 2014 9:13 AM
  • You can plan for record management 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ee364741(v=office.12).aspx

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 5:11 PM