Send on behalf - Outlook 2010 fails since mailbox move, Outlook Web App works RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We're moving from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016. In Outlook (at least 2010) we can no longer send on behalf of a shared mailbox that was recently moved to 2016, which has always worked.

It works OK in Outlook Web App, presumably because it's loading the version provided by Exchange 2016. I've tried removing send on behalf of and re-adding, deleting Outlook profiles and re-adding and also total reboot of Exchange 2016.

What am I missing.

Thanks

Monday, January 21, 2019 5:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for late reply, and thanks for detailed description.

I can see the archive mailbox when I open the shared mailbox by adding additional mailbox. However, indeed, Outlook will only expose certain features when the mailbox is added as normal account.

Therefore, if you need to use "add account" and Send On Behalf permission, it seems there is no workaround for the issue currently.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Dawn Zhou Wednesday, January 30, 2019 10:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:38 AM
    Friday, January 25, 2019 7:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If rebuilding the profile can't help, the issue might be related to the autocomplete cache. You can try to delete the autocomplete cache and see if the issue persists.

Additionally, do you assign full access permission of shared mailbox and enable automapping feature? If so, please disable the feature, add shared mailbox as additional mailbox and try again.

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity <mailbox> -User <username> -AccessRight FullAccess -InheritanceType All -Automapping $false

For your reference:

Can't send an email message when Full Access permission is granted to a shared mailbox in Exchange Server

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 6:27 AM
  • Thanks.

We add full access permissions via a group, so auto-mapping is not used. We then add the account manually via 'Add Account'. We need it as an additional account so we get access to the Archive mailbox, which you don't get if adding as an additional mailbox. If we do add it as an additional mailbox, send on behalf of does work.

I will try the autocomplete cache thing, but I'm not convinced that will work because I setup a whole new user account, added them to the group that has full access permissions to this shared mailbox, gave them send on behalf of rights to this shared mailbox and they get the same error too.

I did all that for my own account too, and it works. My account is a domain admin account. No one else's is.

EDIT: If I remove the shared mailbox from Outlook, send on behalf of works for a non-admin user. So this problem exists when the user has full access permissions (via a group), has the mailbox added to Outlook, and has send on behalf rights.

PS: Just read that link. We've never had to give Send As permissions before. Is this now a requirement in Exchange 2016? Will recipients still see xxx on behalf of yyy?
    Tuesday, January 22, 2019 10:00 AM
  • No solution? Because if there isn't, we'll simply have to abandon migrating to Exchange 2016 and stay on 2010 until Microsoft fix this.

We cannot use Send As permissions, because it doesn't show the on behalf of bit
    We cannot add it as an additional mailbox (rather than full account) because we lose archive mailbox as well as replies and forwards defaulting to coming from the users mailbox, not the shared mailbox

We're migrating 3 1/2 years after RTM. I absolutely cannot believe this hasn't been noticed and fixed. Did email send/receive at all in RTM or did that come 6 months later?! :)

Thursday, January 24, 2019 11:04 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for late reply, and thanks for detailed description.

I can see the archive mailbox when I open the shared mailbox by adding additional mailbox. However, indeed, Outlook will only expose certain features when the mailbox is added as normal account.

Therefore, if you need to use "add account" and Send On Behalf permission, it seems there is no workaround for the issue currently.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

• Proposed as answer by Dawn Zhou Wednesday, January 30, 2019 10:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:38 AM
    Friday, January 25, 2019 7:08 AM