none
More "WDP is Committing Changes" Freeze-Up Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Before installing Steady State 2.5, to start fresh, I re-installed XP Home Edition, Version 2002 (on NTFS partition), Service Pack 3, plus all other available Updates to XP.  Then loaded MS Office 2003, IE 7.0, Firefox 3.0 w/Flash Player.  Loaded all updates for Office 2003.  Then ran Check Disk, defragmented TWICE, then loaded Steady State 2.5 from Windows website.  After configuring all aspects of Steady State saving with WDP set at "Retain all changes permanently" and with User "Locked", RESTARTED, and then re-set WDP to "Remove all changes at restart".

Problem is system freezes when restarting from Administrator mode, at "WDP is committing changes, please wait..." screen.  By powering off, then powering on, system returns to normal.  The freeze DOES NOT occur when User does a Log Off or User experieinces an Idle Log Off.  Is SS 2.5 not compatible with some of my software, and should I return to SS 2.0?  My Dell system is Pentium 4 CPU, 2.80 GHz, 2.79 GHz, 504 MB RAM, Hard Drive 108 MB, which as configured by SS has 46 GB used, and 62 GB free.  Any suggestions?  Thanks very much.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:20 PM

Answers

• I know this is probably not an answer.  It seems to me at least, that the more you install,add programs, or change settings, after enabling WDP, the longer WDP takes to make the changes.  I don't think any of your programs should be causing incompatibility problems.  I guess how long did you wait before restarting the computer?

Respectfully,

James Ghiorzi
    Library Assistant II
    San Benito County Free Library
    470 Fifth St.
    Hollister, CA 95023 
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:20 PM

All replies

• Additional information on MOHoser's troublesome system:  Also installed are Avast! and Windows Defender programs, along with those listed above.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 2:11 PM
  • I know this is probably not an answer.  It seems to me at least, that the more you install,add programs, or change settings, after enabling WDP, the longer WDP takes to make the changes.  I don't think any of your programs should be causing incompatibility problems.  I guess how long did you wait before restarting the computer?

Respectfully,

James Ghiorzi
    Library Assistant II
    San Benito County Free Library
    470 Fifth St.
    Hollister, CA 95023 
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:20 PM
  • Admittedly, virtually no time elapsed between making changes and restarting computer.  If this is a factor, it would be beneficial for SS Guidelines to suggest this.  Thanks for the feedback.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 2:23 AM
  • Hi

I did quite the same things as MOHoser.
    I have unistalled old version of WSS (according the protocole discussed here : http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/830a8ead-f2df-4706-8c9f-1fa0cf1fedfa
    All the process was going well. But when I came back the next day :  all the computer were blocked at the logo screen with a box message over the logon box : (translated from French) : "The system is being updated and will be restarted after the updates completed."
    At first time I thought this was due the the update to XP SP3
    So I start a session with the last good configuration
    Restore the system before the installation of WSS 2.5
    Update the PC (SP3 and all windowsupdate)
    reinstall WSS 2.5
    Enable the WDP
    But the next morning  the same message box blocked the PC.
    If I try to clic on OK ==> failed (error bip)
    After more than 24 hour the system is still blocked
    If I shut down manually the PC et turn it on after a few minuts ==> it's still blocked with the same message box !
    The problem seems to be linked to the update process occuring every night at 3h00.
    I also installed the scripts to mange the update of Symantec Endpoint protection MR3.
    Last but not least : on 13 PC 12 are blocked but one is perfect !!!!
    I don't understand where is the difference (the protocol was the same)
    My last idea is to glost the PC and clon on every other one

Any help or other ideas ???

Thanks

Donsaluste
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 12:38 PM
  • Hi

I did quite the same things as MOHoser.
    I have unistalled old version of WSS (according the protocole discussed here : http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/830a8ead-f2df-4706-8c9f-1fa0cf1fedfa
    All the process was going well. But when I came back the next day :  all the computer were blocked at the logo screen with a box message over the logon box : (translated from French) : "The system is being updated and will be restarted after the updates completed."
    At first time I thought this was due the the update to XP SP3
    So I start a session with the last good configuration
    Restore the system before the installation of WSS 2.5
    Update the PC (SP3 and all windowsupdate)
    reinstall WSS 2.5
    Enable the WDP
    But the next morning  the same message box blocked the PC.
    If I try to clic on OK ==> failed (error bip)
    After more than 24 hour the system is still blocked
    If I shut down manually the PC et turn it on after a few minuts ==> it's still blocked with the same message box !
    The problem seems to be linked to the update process occuring every night at 3h00.
    I also installed the scripts to mange the update of Symantec Endpoint protection MR3.
    Last but not least : on 13 PC 12 are blocked but one is perfect !!!!
    I don't understand where is the difference (the protocol was the same)
    My last idea is to glost the PC and clon on every other one

Any help or other ideas ???

Thanks

Donsaluste

Hi Donsaluste, are you using Dell GX520 series computers? If this is the case, you can check the thread below and update the BIOS to resolve the issue.

Update message hangs /waits for user click

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/49396858-c3c5-4528-a86a-f8a353294bdc/  

Meanwhile, you can also check the following thread:

Stuck on "system is currently being updated..."

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/b9efd5f2-b6d1-4d2a-93ab-25f5f6a395e6/    

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 7:18 AM
  • Hi Sean

Thanks for your answer.
    Actually it seems that's the issue is due to the update of Symantec Endpoint protection that I've added to WSS 2.5.
    On the blocked PC  :
    - Reboot in safe mode
    - Remove the line dedicated to the update of SEP in the SoftwareUpdates.xml file :
    <software
        id="SymantecEP"
        name="Symantec Endpoint Protection MR3"
        detectionPath="SOFTWARE\Symantec\InstalledApps"
        detectionName="SAV Install Directory"
        append="SescLU.exe"
        script="SCTSymantecEndpointUpdate.vbs"
        category="Anti-Virus"  />

Remove the vbs script "SCTSymantecEndpointUpdate.vbs"  :

' ~~~ Force variables to be declared
    ' ~~~
    Option Explicit

' ~~~
    ' ~~~ Turn on error handling
    ' ~~~
    On Error Resume Next

' ~~~
    ' ~~~ Declare global variables
    ' ~~~
    Dim sNortonPath, oShell, strComputer, oWMIService, ColProcesses

' ~~~ Create objects
    Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

' ~~~ Set application path
    sNortonPath = oshell.RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\LUALL.EXE\")

'~~~ Download Virus Signature
    call oShell.Run("""" & sNortonPath & """" & " -s", 0, True)

' ~~~ Wait 5 minutes
    WScript.Sleep (300000)

- Reboot in normal mode
    ==> still blocked with the same message box... BUT :
    After a few minuts the system beeps and restart and all is normal  :)

A question remains : why on a PC the update of SEP is configured within WSS2.5 with the same scripts as above and all is going fine ?!?!
    The only difference on that PC is that I have installed WSS2.5 BEFORE SEP 11

I will test this hypothesis on another PC and tell you the result here

Donsaluste

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:37 AM