Is It Possible To Block A Sender Based On The User Email Name? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been getting spam from UserName@Website where the website changes but the UserName is the same.  Is there a way to block email based on UserName?  Is it safe to put "UserName@" or "UserName@*" in the Blocked Senders list?  Will that work?

http://www.saberman.com

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>> Is it safe to put "UserName@" or "UserName@*" in the Blocked Senders list?  Will that work?
    When you'd like to block someone, it is required to enter the complete email address or domain. So you may not be able to put "Username@" in the Blocked Senders list.

>> Is there a way to block email based on UserName?
    It is suggested to refer to the suggestion of DumbleD0re to create a rule in Outlook.

1. Go to File > Manage Rules & Alerts > New rule.
    2. In the opened window, click "Apply rule on messages I receive" > Next.
    3. Select "With specific words in the sender's address" then click "specific words". Type "Username" and click Add. Click Next.
    4. Select "move it to the specified folder" then click "specified". Choose "Junk Email" and click Next. You can also check the option "stop processing more rules" here.
    5. Click Next until the last window shown below, check "Run this rule now on messages already in 'Inbox'." and click Finish. 

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 7:59 AM

All replies

• Blocking all the emails based on the username might be a bad idea as all the emails from all the sites containing that username will be blocked even if they are spam or not.

You might consider using BCL spam filtering if the SPAM emails are sent to bulk users inside the environment.

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 4:20 PM
  • >all the emails from all the sites containing that username will be blocked even if they are spam or not
    The username is unique enough that I am willing to block it.  How do I do that?

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 5:45 PM
  • The easiest way to do the same is by creating a transport rule on exchange which deletes all the emails from that particular user.

You can got to ECP and create the same under Mail Flows.

• Edited by DumbleD0re Wednesday, June 26, 2019 5:55 PM
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 5:55 PM
  • I have a POP server.

Please address the original question:
    Is there a way to block email based on UserName?  Is it safe to put "UserName@" or "UserName@*" in the Blocked Senders list?  Will that work?

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 6:55 PM
  • Yes it will. Please add the same to the blocked user lists.

Use "UserName@".

• Edited by DumbleD0re Wednesday, June 26, 2019 7:56 PM
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 7:28 PM
  • Trying to add UserName@ or "UserName@" throws an error:

So I it appears you can't block on UserName.

BTW. the error message is wrong.  It should be @example.com not just example.com.

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 8:27 PM
  • Please try creating a rule over the server or in outlook, wildcards may not work in Block Sender List.

• Edited by DumbleD0re Wednesday, June 26, 2019 9:19 PM
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 9:17 PM
  • Hi,

>> Is it safe to put "UserName@" or "UserName@*" in the Blocked Senders list?  Will that work?
    When you'd like to block someone, it is required to enter the complete email address or domain. So you may not be able to put "Username@" in the Blocked Senders list.

>> Is there a way to block email based on UserName?
    It is suggested to refer to the suggestion of DumbleD0re to create a rule in Outlook.

1. Go to File > Manage Rules & Alerts > New rule.
    2. In the opened window, click "Apply rule on messages I receive" > Next.
    3. Select "With specific words in the sender's address" then click "specific words". Type "Username" and click Add. Click Next.
    4. Select "move it to the specified folder" then click "specified". Choose "Junk Email" and click Next. You can also check the option "stop processing more rules" here.
    5. Click Next until the last window shown below, check "Run this rule now on messages already in 'Inbox'." and click Finish. 

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 7:59 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got your issue fixed?

Please try my suggestion and let me know the results.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Friday, June 28, 2019 8:53 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 7:57 AM
  • The problem is the username that is displayed and goes into the rule is not the actual username.  To get this to work I have to open the email-->File-->Properties and find the real username.  I can also find the real username@website and add the @website to the blocked users list.  This is a bit time consuming.

For example an email arrived that said it was From: Lab Accident

But the real senders username is: lab-accident

If I put Lab Accident in the "with username in the senders address" it doesn't filter the email.

If I put lab-accident in the "with username in the senders address" the rule filters the email.

There doesn't appear to be a quick and easy way to set this up.

Saturday, July 13, 2019 3:58 PM