none
MAP - WMI status Failed - Other Reasons RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a definition available for the following:

WMI status: Failed - Other Reasons

What could this mean? What are the alternatives that might be wrong when I receive this result?
    Monday, July 27, 2009 6:43 PM

All replies

• Hi, we had this problem and it kept me busy for a day or two.  What I noticed is that the Inventory Wizard goes through a few steps and in one it asks for the credentials it must use for the WMI query.  However, when the security log on the target servers are investigated, the initial connection to that server use Kerberos authentication and the username is that of the session (logged on user) at the desktop or server running the tool.  Example: I am logged on as userA, but specify UserB as the user doing the WMI stuff.

In our environment with the amount of security lockdown, this results in the Kerberos working, but the WMI failng and I saw the: Failed - Other Reasons.

We logged on with domain admin and ran the WMI as domain admin and then things started to work.  It therefore looks as if there is some level of impersonation required for the tool to work.  If not allowed, the WMI fails.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:56 AM
  • "In our environment with the amount of security lockdown, this results in the Kerberos working, but the WMI failng and I saw the: Failed - Other Reasons."

Dawie, this issue should be fixed by the QFE we published on Monday.  Try downloading the tool again to pickup the latest version (build 2925) and give it a shot.  We fixed an impersonation issue that was causing exactly the failure you describe.

Kimmo, I suggest you also try the QFE release and then report back here if you're still seeing an issue.

Thanks,
    Jay
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 5:19 PM
  • I have installed the QFE build and I get the same connection failures. I get nearly 100% failure, running as a domain admin. I know WMI is funcitoning because we have SCCM and its inventory is complete. I run the tool under the domain admin profile so even if its passing creds they are domain admin all the way.  Any troubleshooting I could try?
    Friday, August 21, 2009 3:38 PM

• For connection issues I would try running WBEMTEST and confirm that that tool can actually connect to some of the machines that are being missed.  Instructions: http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?vid=8366ca64-6edf-4a98-9e24-ccf8b78a4b55

The results from that should tell us something useful.

Friday, August 21, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Sorry for the delay. WBEMTEST proves successful. I am able to connect and query WMI remotely as suspected. still getting extremely high failure rate. I am happy to help make this product better so feel free to use me as a guinea pig. we are looking at roughly 10K machines here...

Friday, August 21, 2009 6:47 PM
  • I think we are going to need a few more details to look at this a bit more closely.

Can you please try running an inventory and assessment with MAPS?  After the inventory is complete you can use the “Prepare new reports and proposals” option under the “File” menu to run the report wizard.  The “Machine Inventory Results” report will give you a list of all discovered machines.  The second column of this report will show WMI status and include error types.    What type of errors are listed here?  Are there many difference errors?  What is the most common error type?

Let me know what you find out and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Eric

Friday, August 21, 2009 9:04 PM
  • Once you have this file, can you zip and email it to mapfdbk@microsoft.com?

Thanks!
    Friday, August 21, 2009 11:00 PM
  • I emailed it along with my contact info if needed.

Monday, August 24, 2009 1:33 PM