none
Transfer Windows Media Player playlists to another computer

Question

• Had to reload my computer, restored all my Music to the same spots it was before. Copied over the .wpl files from my backup to the same spot on my reloaded computer, but the playlists do not show up in the list of playlists inside WMP. Is there some other way to restore them?
    Saturday, December 12, 2015 10:02 PM

Answers

• Hi RJO22,

Thank you for your reply.

Based on my test, after you copy the playlist to the right location, Windows Media Player will import the playlist automatically.

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:23 AM

All replies

• Hi RJO22,

Welcome to Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Firstly, could you please tell me the version of Windows Media Player that you are using?

We have tested for your issue on our test environment in Windows Media Player 12. Just right click the playlist, then choose "Open file location". After that, copy the playlist file to the another PC under the same path. We tested it successfully.

For your issue, please check if the version of Windows Media Player is the same between the two computers. In addition to that, the path of the playlist under the "Users". Therefore, you need to copy the playlist to the correct user account which you use this account to log on to use Windows Media Player.

Hope that will be helpful to you.

Best Regards

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 14, 2015 2:33 AM
  • Same version.  For some reason I think most if not all of them showed up when I went to manually make a playlist, then the others that I copied the files over for started to fill in. 

If I drag more wpl files in to that folder, is there a way to force WMP to find new playlists and import them?

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 4:56 PM
  • Hi RJO22,

Thank you for your reply.

Based on my test, after you copy the playlist to the right location, Windows Media Player will import the playlist automatically.

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards

Simon

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:23 AM
  • Hi,

We wonder if there is any luck your issue has been resolved, if you've found solution by yourself. We would appreciate it if you could share with us and we will mark it as answer.

Best Regards

Simon

Friday, December 18, 2015 7:36 AM