none
Timesheet Manager Approval RRS feed

• Question

• What specific setting needs to be applied for timesheet managers to approve timesheets. Currently, our development managers group is set up with the "resource manager" templates and are set up as timesheet managers for their resources. The timesheets are sent to them but it prompts them to forward the timesheets on to another user.  I have read that it is because they have the "accept timesheet" permission applied. I have tried removing the permission and replacing it with "View Project Timesheet Line Approvals". The timesheets in their queue still require them to forward the timesheet on. I've tried to re-create this in our sandbox with our other project managers and we havent been able to. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:56 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

Do you have RBS  configuration in place?

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, December 7, 2012 2:38 AM
  • Kurt --

Please do not mess around with changing settings until you are absolutely certain of the results.  Go back to the Resource Managers group, SELECT the Accept Timesheets permission, DESELECT the View Project Timesheet Line Approvals permission, and then save these settings.  Then do the following in PWA:

1.  Click Server Settings > Timesheet Settings and Defaults.
    2.  In the Approval Routing section of the page, select the Fixed Approval Routing option.
    3.  Click the Save button.

This will resolve the problem.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, December 7, 2012 2:53 AM
  • RBS configuration is  not in place.
    Friday, December 7, 2012 1:03 PM
  • Dale,

Messing around with global permissions before I undertand the results -

I had applied the same permissions to the other PM in our sandbox environment and PWA did not prompt her to forward my timesheet on. Rather, it let her click accept and then ok. When I applied the same settings to the Resource Managers group in our production project server it was still prompting them to forward their resources timesheets after approving them.

I had applied the "View Project Timesheet Line Approvals" permission and removed the "Accept Timesheets" permission after referencing the article pasted below in Microsoft library. After reviewing the explanation of "accept timesheets" it states "Allows a user to accept but not approve a timesheet." Further in the explanation of this permission it states, "When it is accepted then a manager with Approve Timesheets permission will approve the timesheets. " However, when I researched the "Approve Timesheets Permission" the closest thing I come to is the "View Project Timesheet Line Approvals" which microsoft explains as, "Allows a user to approve timesheets on a line-by-line basis."

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197631(v=office.14).aspx

Then do the following in PWA:
    1.  Click Server Settings > Timesheet Settings and Defaults.
    2.  In the Approval Routing section of the page, select the Fixed Approval Routing option.

3.  Click the Save button.

I have this written down in my trouble shooting log as already having been applied, but I will try it again in hopes that maybe something wasn't configured correctly. I will triple check the settings before testing this in the sandbox and production.

**I will put out the disclaimer that I am not a trained Project Server Admin. Rather, I have been forced to learn it through OJT (on the job training) over the past few months. My organization is in its infant stages of using an enterprise SharePoint and Project Server solution. We are currently actively seeking an Admin that would be able to help us fully utilize the features of both.

I appreciate the assistance.

Kurt

Friday, December 7, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Hi Dale,

I have the same issue as Kurt.  My hierarchy is set up exactly as Kurt's (Resource Manager is the Timesheet Manager). I read your reply to Kurt's question and my settings were already set up as you described in your answer, yet there is still a prompt to forward the timesheet to another user after it is approved by the Timesheet/Resource Manager. Any other suggestions on what setting(s) may be causing this? Thanks.

Judy W.

Judy Washington

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 10:55 PM
  • Hi Judy,

Try using view effective rights tool, to identify if it's permission issue

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=838

This is 2007 version but still works with 2010

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 11:28 PM
  • Hi,

I only saw the 2003 tool when I clicked on that link. Would that version work as well?

Judy Washington

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:36 PM
  • No, we need 2007 version

that's strange , when I clicked on same link  I am able to reach 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=838

Bing "Project 2007 Project Resource Kit"

There are multiple useful tools in this kit.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:15 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for the link. I was able to get to the 2007 date. I looked at the kit but I'm having trouble interpreting what I see. for instance, every single user has "Deny" as its effective right,  however, they have "allow" on individual items. The reference material I have says the effective right trumps all others but that does not seem to be the case. Is there documentation that I can go to to interpret what the permissions shown in the tool kit mean?

Judy Washington

Monday, January 7, 2013 7:26 PM
  • Hi Judy,

When you test the permission using this tool, it shows effective permission which is nothing but end result combination of all the permissions user will get. Below it shows which groups has deny or allow permission, which may help to narrow down the issue.  DO you have any other working user with you can compare non working user permissions?

Do you think , other than this issue, PWA security has been broken due to all manual changes?

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:09 AM