none
Tape Write Ratio RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to change Tape Write Ratio on DPM Up to 70%.When i run the command following error occur;

Set-DPMGlobalProperty –DPMServerName <dpm server name> -TapeWritePeriodRatio <fraction>

Set-DPMGlobalProperty:Parameter set cannot be resolved using the specified named parameters.

At line:1 char;22

Thanks

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks, Data-colocation is some thing different.Is it right? I want to increase Tape Write Ratio.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 7:19 AM
  • Yes

try -DPMServer instead -DPMServerName

for DPM 2010 -  use Powershell

TapeWritePeriodRatio - This is a DPM Global property that can be set only when colocation is enabled and indicates the number of days for which data can be written on to a tape as a percentage of the retention period of the first data set written to the tape. This is a global setting and affects all protection groups.

TapeWritePeriodRatio value can be between 0.0 to 1.0 the default value is 0.15 (i.e. 15%)

NOTE DPM 2012 does not have this global property and instead has additional configuration options in the GUI to allow different write periods for different protection groups. This adds greater flexibility in determining how long you want to use a tape at the protection group(s) level.

As an example on the impact of the TapeWritePeriodRatio setting having a default of 15% - if you have a protection group doing daily backups, with a retention period of 2 weeks (14 days), the tape will be marked offsite ready after only 2.1 days regardless of how much / little data was written to the tape. If you desire DPM to write to the tape for a week, you would need to change the TapeWritePeriodRatio to 50% using the DPM power shell command below.

Set-DPMGlobalProperty -DPMServer <dpm server name> -TapeWritePeriodRatio .5

https://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2012/05/14/things-you-can-do-to-help-data-protection-manager-utilize-your-tapes-full-capacity.aspx

2) for DPM 2012 - use GUI

Have a nice day !!!

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 7:49 AM