none
CC takes forever RRS feed

• Question

• Here we are 2013, any new changes on the horizon for DPM 2012 to address this issue in the post below ?Click

Im doing a CC check on two exchange databases, because the server crashed. It takes 6 hours to complete !! Not to mention I cant do a full backup until this check finishes!

• Edited by Mike_Kubi Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:40 AM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There are no CC enhancements in DPM 2012, however, yes, we are working on some enhancements for large file servers.  For large DB's, there is no getting around that we need to check every block of the DB on the protected server to the blocks on the DPM replica.  Disk speeds on both servers have a large impact on CC speeds.  Also, we have found that some Anti-virus s/w slows down the CC considerably, so you may want to play around with that and setup some exceptions.  Original recommendation is to discover the cause of the exchange server crash and try to prevent future occurrences.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 25, 2013 5:44 PM
  • Hi thanks, wouldn't CC checks both on large servers and databases work esentially the same? Just a block comparison ? I do have all the DPM exe's exluded in my Mcafee EPO. I just wondering if msft had a time frame for some sort of fix to be applied ? The server crash was unrelated to exchange it was a 3rd party software that caused the issue. Nothings perfect :)
    Friday, January 25, 2013 5:54 PM
  • Hi,

CC on large file servers take much longer because of the number of files (sometimes millions) involved.  DPM needs to perform a NTFS metadata comparison and crc check for each file and build a list if files that don't match, then do a block by block comparison of those mismatched files.  That takes much longer for millions of files as compared to a handful of larger files of the same size dataset.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 25, 2013 6:02 PM