Remove a crashed server from Exchange Organization RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everybody,

I have an Exchange 2007 Organization (5 servers). One of the five server is permanently crashed. How can I remove this server from my Oraganization.

I think that I have to :

• Clean up users with ADSI Edit because I don't want to delete users but I want to remove their mailboxes (there are only 20 mailboxes on the crashed server)
    • Remove Exchange server from the Exchange Management Console of one of my 4 others servers
    • Clean up AD with ADSI Edit to remove all traces of my crashed server if traces stays

Do you think that my procedure is good?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Michael

Saturday, January 8, 2011 8:08 AM

Answers

• recoemnded way is to  recover the server using setup /m:recoverserver and then move mailboxes

move PF content if applicable

then uninstall the the exchange from control pannel

then if ADSIEDIT still shows servr object delete the "server object" 

your procudure should be last option.. you might want to disable mailboxes .. rather than doing anything with user attributes frm Adsiedit.

if you delete the server object from active direcotry using ADSIEDIT..  next time you open EMC

it would not show that servr..  so no removal required from management console

Dhruv
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Wednesday, January 12, 2011 6:51 AM
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 11:58 AM
  • OK removing the Exchange server manually is not supported.

But how can I move mailboxes and remove the exchange server if my server cannot boot?

You can recover the server using the /recoverserver installation switch:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Recovering-Exchange-2007-Server-RecoverServer-switch.html

Then restore your databases from backup.

Tim Harrington | MVP: Exchange | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010, MCITP: Server 2008, MCTS: OCS | Blog: http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com | Twitter: @twharrington
    • Proposed as answer by David M (LePivert) Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:28 PM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 1:38 AM

All replies

• recoemnded way is to  recover the server using setup /m:recoverserver and then move mailboxes

move PF content if applicable

then uninstall the the exchange from control pannel

then if ADSIEDIT still shows servr object delete the "server object" 

your procudure should be last option.. you might want to disable mailboxes .. rather than doing anything with user attributes frm Adsiedit.

if you delete the server object from active direcotry using ADSIEDIT..  next time you open EMC

it would not show that servr..  so no removal required from management console

Dhruv
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 11:58 AM
  • As replied on other thread, It is not supported to remove exchange 2007 server object manually.
    Best Rgds, Ashish | Unified Comunication | MCTS | Please remember to select option "Propose As Answer" if solution work for you.
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 7:22 AM
  • 1)  Login to Exchange Management Shell.

2) Type this command ---> get-mailbox -server "Server Name" | move-mailbox -TargetDatabase "Database path name" -ConfigurationOnly

This will change the mailbox target of your users to the new database.

Then you can go ahead and delete the server object from ADSIEdit. However, manually removing an Exchange Server from your Organization is not recommended by Microsoft.

Sunday, January 9, 2011 3:47 PM
  • 1)  Login to Exchange Management Shell.

2) Type this command ---> get-mailbox -server "Server Name" | move-mailbox -TargetDatabase "Database path name" -ConfigurationOnly

This will change the mailbox target of your users to the new database.

Then you can go ahead and delete the server object from ADSIEdit. However, manually removing an Exchange Server from your Organization is not recommended by Microsoft.

Its more than not recommended, its not supported. 
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 4:04 PM

But how can I move mailboxes and remove the exchange server if my server cannot boot?

Sunday, January 9, 2011 9:29 PM

You can recover the server using the /recoverserver installation switch:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Recovering-Exchange-2007-Server-RecoverServer-switch.html

Then restore your databases from backup.

Tim Harrington | MVP: Exchange | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010, MCITP: Server 2008, MCTS: OCS | Blog: http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com | Twitter: @twharrington
    • Proposed as answer by David M (LePivert) Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:28 PM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 1:38 AM
  • Ok. Since your exchange server cannot boot, you can try the above steps from any working exchange server.

But as we have mentioned earlier, Microsoft doesnot support this.

Monday, January 10, 2011 5:18 PM
  • I have created a Virtual Machine on Hyper-V (same OS, same Hard Drive, ...). The named of this machine is exactly matching the named of my old server.

I use the Exchange SP2 (to be in the same version) setup to recover my servr from the AD.

I laucnhed the command setup /m:recoverserver

Setup start to recover but I have the following result:

Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Unattended Setup

Preparing Exchange Setup

The following server roles will be recovered
        Hub Transport Role
        Client Access Role
        Mailbox Role
        Management Tools

Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Check

Configuring Microsoft Exchange Server

Copying Exchange files           ......................... COMPLETED
        Hub Transport Server Role        ......................... FAILED
         Service 'MSExchangeADTopology' failed to start. Check the event log for possible reasons for the service
    start failure.

The Exchange Server Setup operation did not complete. For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com
     and enter the Error ID.

Exchange Server setup encountered an error. 

In the eventvwr I have 2 errors :

• Event ID 2602
    Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=2768). Failed to flush Kerberos ticket for local system account - Error code=80070102. 

Microsoft Exchange AD Topology service could not update token to have Exchange Servers group membership (SID: ). 

This may be caused by replication latency. Wait for replication to complete and try again. 

• Event ID 1002
    Exchange Server component Hub Transport Role failed. 
    Error: Error:
    Service 'MSExchangeADTopology' failed to start. Check the event log for possible reasons for the service start failure.
    Have you good an idea?
    • Proposed as answer by muzamily Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:02 PM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:39 PM
  • Ok I have added my server in the Exchange Server Group and now I have the following result :

Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Unattended Setup

Preparing Exchange Setup

The following server roles will be recovered
        Hub Transport Role
        Client Access Role
        Mailbox Role
        Management Tools

Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Check

Configuring Microsoft Exchange Server

Copying Exchange files           ......................... COMPLETED
        Hub Transport Server Role        ......................... COMPLETED
        Client Access Server Role        ......................... COMPLETED
        Mailbox Role                     ......................... COMPLETED
        Exchange Management Tools        ......................... COMPLETED

The Microsoft Exchange Server setup operation completed successfully.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:47 PM
  • Just take a look at this link below, Also Disable IPv6 and re-run setup /m:recoverserver

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/exchangesvrdeploy/thread/f0c26bef-a587-4d95-a9f1-5c79549197c8

good luck

ocd

Oz Casey, Dedeal MVP (Exchange) MCITP (EMA), MCITP (SA) MCSE 2003, M+, S+, MCDST Security+, Project +, Server + Http://smtp25.blogspot.com (Blog Http://telnet25.spaces.live.com (Blog) Http://telnet25.wordpress.com (Blog)
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Problem Solved.

Thanks to Every body and particulary to TWHarrington because it was the solution.

I just had to reconfigure my OWA. 

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:09 PM