When will a "Windows Server Print Server 2008 R2" management pack be ready? RRS feed

• Question

• We've got two Windows 2008 print servers deployed, one being the SP2 version and the other R2, and after finally finding why our SCOM 2007 R2 wouldn't recognize the R2 version as being a print server (the current MP only recognizes up to SP2), I was wondering when an upgraded Print Server MP will be ready for download from Microsoft?

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:51 PM

Answers

• Currently, the print server team has asked for an exemption from shipping a management pack.  The current plan is to skip having a Server 2008 R2 print server management pack.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:20 AM

All replies

• I have forwarded your question to the Print Server team.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:51 AM
  • Currently, the print server team has asked for an exemption from shipping a management pack.  The current plan is to skip having a Server 2008 R2 print server management pack.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:20 AM
  • I currently have the same problem. I just installed a Windows 2008 R2 with the Print Service Role configured on it. I was investigating why SCOM 2007 R2 was not able to discover the Print Service Role. I think it's very strange to just say we will skip Server 2008 R2 support for the Print Server MP. Is there a simple way to adjust the current MP so it will be able to discover the 2008 R2 server?? Or isn't this a option because to much has been changed in R2?

Greets,

Coen

Friday, April 16, 2010 3:06 PM
  • I agree with Coen in it being strange to skip rolling out an R2 version of the Print Server role MP; at the same time, I'm open to making tweaks, etc., to getting the current MP to recognize an R2 version.
    Friday, April 16, 2010 8:04 PM
  • The changes would be possible - the challenge is that the discovery targets need to be changed to point to the Server 2008 R2 operating system.  The present MP targets the Server 2008 Operating system class - and Server 2008 R2 gets discovered as a different type.  An enterprising sort could write a new discovery that targets Server 2008 R2 operating system, and then discovers all of the things that the original print server class targets.

It could be more complex than this depending on the hierarchy of the discovered targets the MP depends upon.

To reiterate  - the decision was not a decsion to skip R2 print server monitoring.  The decision was to ask for an exemption from the CEC criteria for MP's.  I realize that the impact is the same.

Microsoft Corporation
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 1:26 AM
  • what do you mean by the CEC criteria for a MP?   sure sounds like its a decision to skip R2 print server monitoring, regardless of symantics around the wording.

to be honest, I find this really odd.   And a bit of a worry that the managment team seem to still not be committed to deliverying a quality MP for all the core windows components.

Saturday, April 17, 2010 11:46 PM
  • Yup sounds like a cop-out to me, bizarre stance being taken by Microsoft there.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:49 PM
  • Wow!!

I'm I waisting my time deploying this product?

Not to support basic part of Windows 2008R2 ????

WOW

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:18 PM
  • Thanks for the replies, and I assume I go with the assumption that a Windows 2008 R2 Print Server MP won't be available anytime soon, if at all. Granted, it would be a nice-to-have, but the Print Server Management utility has some nice alerts that be setup through it.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:29 PM
  • Hello,

It looks like that there was some disconnect on our side regarding Print Server MP for Server 2008 R2.

The main MP discovery does target Microsoft.Windows.Server.2008.Computer class, but since Microsoft.Windows.Server.2008.R2.Computer is derived from 2008 computer, the same discovery should work on Server 2008 R2 as well.

I installed Print Service Role on my Server 2008 R2, deployed this MP and got "Windows 2008 Print Services Role" instance discovered. Health Explorer for this instance shows lots of monitors in healthy state.

Let us try to troubleshoot the problem why this MP does not work on your Server 2008 R2. The main discovery uses the following WMI query:

Namespace: \\.\root\cimv2

Query: SELECT Name FROM Win32_ServerFeature WHERE ID = 7

Can you please execute this query on your print server box? For doing it please follow the instructions:

1. In Start->Run type "wbemtest" and press enter

2. Click Connect..., leave namesapce as root\cimv2 and click Connect

3. Click Query..., type "SELECT Name FROM Win32_ServerFeature WHERE ID = 7", click Apply

4. Verify that there is one instance of Win32_ServerFeature

Thanks,

Zaki

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 4:46 PM
  • Hmm interesting.  lets see if this helps

"SELECT Name FROM Win32_ServerFeature WHERE ID = 7"  returns  "win32_ServerFeature=<no key>.  Double clicking it shows the Name as "Print and Document services"

Lookin at the discovery "Print Services 2008 Role Discovery", in the config XML I can see the query  'SELECT Name FROM Win32_ServerFeature WHERE Name = "Print Services" '  - that returns no classes.  however if I try WHERE Name = "Print and Document services" then I get back a reference

So it may be as simple as the Win32_ServerFeatures text changed between 2008 and 2008 r2, and the MP needs a new discovery for the new text?

of course that doesn't explain why it works for you.  using MP 6.0.6392   why do I see a discovery using name text, yet it seems you have ID being used? (most likely I am looking in the wrong spot!  :-) )

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 10:56 PM
  • Thanks for the help Zaki and I followed the steps you recommended, and got the same results as another who posted their query output, "win32_ServerFeature=<no key>".

Friday, May 7, 2010 1:17 PM
  • This is such a bad look for MS, its not like its a complex MP, if I was the SCOM boss at MS I'd go over to the print guy's boss and give him/her a kick in the ____ for leaving SCOM down !

Friday, July 16, 2010 3:18 AM
  • I agree, this is completely unbelievable.

• Win2008R2 is the current release of Microsoft's flagship operating system.
    • Operations Manager is Microsoft's monitoring product.

There are really no excuses for having a core MP that doesn't work with Win2008R2.  It's part of the product, which many of us pay substantial maintenance/software assurance to keep it current.

The guff about "an enterprising sort could write..." and "exemption from the CEC criteria" is just dreadful. 

An enterprise sort at Microsoft could write it, adapted from the existing Win2008 MP, in a few short days, and that's what our SA money is for.

Wake somebody up.

Friday, July 16, 2010 3:33 AM
  • All fair feedback .

There is a plan in place to get support for print and fax monitoring for Server 2008 R2.  The current trajectory/target for this is Q3 calendar year 2010.  We realize the importance that our customers place on having monitoring available and do our best to help the teams that build the features of the products be successful at providing that monitoring.  Sometimes we miss the timelines and that's unforutunate.  But what we do here on these forums is try and provide information that is as accurate as possible.

Your patience is appreciated.

Microsoft Corporation
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 3:15 PM
  • Patience?

That might have been a word to use if we weren't told back in April that we could forget monitoring 2008 R2 Print Servers because a product team couldn't be bothered.

I'm afraid Dan in this situation Microsoft should be really grovelling right now to it's SCOM customers and either supplying a quick work around to make the existing MP work or a much quicker time scale on the release of this new MP.

The Print Monitoring MP has been a bit of a joke from day one, well the 2000/2003 pack, as the 2008 one was starting to shape up to be better.

Well for now I guess those new 2008 R2 servers I built the other day to migrate all our 2003 print servers to will have to go on hold until this new MP see's the light of day.

SB

My System Center Blog
    Monday, July 26, 2010 5:24 PM
  • Yes, we gave up on the Printer MP quite a while ago. It's simply too old and needs a full re-write like so many of the SP1 MP's did.

I have started using SpiceWorks to monitor my printers in the interim. It's free and does quite a good job in reporting Ink levels etc. Discovery is all done via SNMP another area where OpsMgr seems lacking.

Hey and their Reporting works too telling me all about each and every printer at the click of a button.

Dan, the situation is summed up by Steve admirably:

"The Print Monitoring MP has been a bit of a joke from day one..."

We have been asking for decent Printer MP on Connect for over a year now. Nothing has happened.

Thx,

John Bradshaw

Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:48 AM
  • Any updated info on this?  2010 Q3 calendar only has a few days left...
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:21 PM
  • Here's a blog post with a work around.

http://systemscentre.blogspot.com/2010/10/server-2008-r2-print-services.html

It's a simple MP with a discovery to find the R2 print role and populate the Microsoft MP's group so that printers etc will be discovered.

This is posted AS-IS, please test test test before production!

My System Center Blog
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Beaumont Friday, October 1, 2010 2:32 PM
    Friday, October 1, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Monday, January 3, 2011 9:38 PM
  • All fair feedback .

There is a plan in place to get support for print and fax monitoring for Server 2008 R2.  The current trajectory/target for this is Q3 calendar year 2010.   

missed by miles.

I actually starting to feel sorry for the core SCOM dev team, regardless how good they make the core product its useless without quality, and timely, MP's for all the components.  

It's also annoyong when some one like Zaki (who gives the impression is a MS person eithr on the SCOM or Windows Print team) jumps in, asks for some info, and is never seen again.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 10:45 PM
  • Sorry for delayed answer.

The current print and fax MP indeed does not work on Server 2008 R2, there was a problem with my environment. Sorry for giving an impression that it is supposed to work.

But your reply allowed us to identify the problem and repro it. Thank you very much. And once again, sorry for not replying earlier.

As Dan noticed the work is in process.

I will follow-up with Print and Fax team to find out the current status of this MP...

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 10:56 PM
  • Really?

9 Months and MS have finally been able to repro a problem that everyone in the entire world could repro by just importing the MP?

For pitys sake it took me and Rob a few minutes to override the discovery to make the MP work and Kevin Holman has enhanced it further by turning off non-needed rules.

Just have the Print and Fax team speak to Kevin, get his permission, then re-release his MP officially.  At least that way people that aren't comfortable with overrides or like to see the MS brand on it to make it official can get on with monitoring basic services.

My System Center Blog
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:46 AM
  • October 2011 and Microsoft still has not released the Printer Server 2008 R2 MP! Thanks Kevin for your addendum MP. It works very well!
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:45 PM
  • With the existence of Kevin's MP, there is no longer any plan in place to release an update that supports server 2008 R2.  Recommend using Kevin's MP.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Please tell me you're just funny guy having a sarcastic moment?

We've just seen updates to the Active Directory, Configuration Manager and Base Server OS management packs that fixed far more complex issues that the one line of name changes that the Print MP required (optional to change the discoveries but I don't expect a miracle at this point) and we're led to believe that Microsoft's "Commitment" to making management packs to support all core products and features and released in line with product lifecycles is:

"We can't really be bothered with this one so we let a TSP create a workaround, and btw, it's not an offical MS release so it's not supported"

Really?

While Kevin is an amazingly talented guy and I'd quite litterally stake my reputation when talking to clients and refering to his knowledge and tips, it's still (in my PERSONAL opinion) a really poor show that the team responsible for this MP appear to have turned their back on both Operations Manager and the community/customers in general.

/end rant

My System Center Blog
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:44 PM
  • I am testing Scom 2012 Beta and this problem is not fixed. Very sad ;-(

Roendi
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 2:55 PM
  • Sad is perhaps a mild term to use....

JB

Thursday, December 8, 2011 6:42 PM
  • I feel sorry for the core SCOM team, since the product is actually really good.  But yeah it's let down by the state of managment packs, and more importantly the woeful update cycle for so many of them

I had a pretty heated discussion with some local MS people about this recently (since we are pondering removing SCOM from our SA renewal, which is realistically the first step towards changing to another product).    Their argument is that the SCOM team  is not responsible for the product MP's; to which I basically said "I understand that, but as a customer I actually don't care about your internal workings."

However in their defense at the moment, SCOM 2012 is beta, so I wouldn't take the current MP's in it as final.

also any MP that is still using converted MOM stuff also needs some serious kicking.   I'd really like to see 2012 drop the converted MP rubbish and force the issue.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:17 AM
  • Very sad for MS not working with 2012 at this moment!

Roendi

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:49 AM
  • I have receifed the Information that the MP will be fixed with SP1 from SCOM 2012 ;-(

Roendi

Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Thx Roendi. We have already given up on this one. We use Spiceworks instead and it does all we need for printers and produces really easy, nice reports. And it's free.

JB

Friday, August 3, 2012 12:00 AM
  • ny news about this Print server MP - have anyone testet it in the SCOM 2012 SP1 Beta ?  and why the...  can't we get a working Print Server MP, until next year - waiting for the SP1..''

Yours Erling B. Kjeldsen

Using SCOM and priarily MS MP's

Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:54 PM
  • You'll be please to know that Microsoft have FINALY updated the Print Server MP.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3290

It lists 2008 R2 as a support OS, I'll check it actually does in a moment.

Regards,

Steve

My System Center Blog

Monday, December 10, 2012 9:20 PM
  • Hi, I'm using now the last update of this MP and is working well with print server service installed on W 2008 R2.

Regards.

Friday, December 14, 2012 9:49 PM
  • Wow.  Long thread - successful (but not happy) outcome.  Glad to see that there is a print MP again. 

Microsoft Corporation

Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:08 AM
  • Current Release.

Windows Server Print Server Management Pack for System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=3290

Version:

Version:

File Name:

System Center Management Pack for Windows Print Server.msi

Date Published:

08-05-2015

Friday, May 8, 2015 2:05 PM