Applications don't work in Disconnected Mode. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to use applications while disconnected from the network.  These are applications that have already launched and work fine while connected to the network.

Once I disconnect they won't launch any more.  I noticed this when the service on the server was stopped (this seems to happen when ever the server is rebooted, it needs to be manually started).

I followed the the directions below and allow disconnected is checked and it is set for 90 days.  The only other thing this article mentions is unchecking enforce access permissions settings.  I didn't want to uncheck that because I wasn't sure exactly what it does.

- Whether or not DO is available at all: See the SoftGrid client properties -> connectivity tab: "Allow disconnected operation".  Should be enabled by default.

- You can also disable the authorization check: See the SoftGrid Server console -> right-click default provider properties -> select the "Provider Pipeline tab" -> de-select "Enforce Access Permission Settings".

http://blogs.technet.com/softgrid/archive/2008/05/27/softgrid-a-few-quick-notes-on-disconnected-operation-mode.aspx

If someone could shed some light on what "Enforce Access Permission settings" is or how to fix my problem. 

Thanks

Monday, June 23, 2008 7:04 PM

Answers

•  tgraves8 wrote:

I am trying to use applications while disconnected from the network.  These are applications that have already launched and work fine while connected to the network.

Once I disconnect they won't launch any more.  I noticed this when the service on the server was stopped (this seems to happen when ever the server is rebooted, it needs to be manually started).

Has the application been cached 100% on the client? If not, it could be that client tries to stream something from FB2 and since VAS is down, it cannot do that..

tgraves8 wrote:

I followed the the directions below and allow disconnected is checked and it is set for 90 days.  The only other thing this article mentions is unchecking enforce access permissions settings.  I didn't want to uncheck that because I wasn't sure exactly what it does.

Enforce acces permissions -settings causes VAS to ignore individual access permissions applied to applications (i.e. the groups you define when publishing app) and therefore anyone who requests any package through that policy will get it regardless of the groups defined. So it's sort of disabling the 2nd level authorization function in SoftGrid back-end (first one is the provider policy group assignment i.e. "SoftGrid Users" -group).

br,

Kalle

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:14 AM

All replies

•  tgraves8 wrote:

I am trying to use applications while disconnected from the network.  These are applications that have already launched and work fine while connected to the network.

Has the application been cached 100% on the client? If not, it could be that client tries to stream something from FB2 and since VAS is down, it cannot do that..

tgraves8 wrote:

Enforce acces permissions -settings causes VAS to ignore individual access permissions applied to applications (i.e. the groups you define when publishing app) and therefore anyone who requests any package through that policy will get it regardless of the groups defined. So it's sort of disabling the 2nd level authorization function in SoftGrid back-end (first one is the provider policy group assignment i.e. "SoftGrid Users" -group).

br,

Kalle

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:14 AM
  • Thank you for the reply and for letting me know what "Enforce Access Permissions" was.

I loaded the application to 100% and disconnected from the network and it launched.  From what I understand you do not have to have it loaded to 100%.

I thought the application is suppose to work at 30% and if there is a need for it to download any additional parts of the application then it would tell you that and close.  But it should still be launching offline with 30% correct?

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:24 PM
  •  tgraves8 wrote:

I thought the application is suppose to work at 30% and if there is a need for it to download any additional parts of the application then it would tell you that and close.  But it should still be launching offline with 30% correct?

That's correct in theory (and every now and then in practise too), but sometimes it just doesn't work like that.

I presume that in those cases SoftGrid Client actually needs to touch some file during startup that's not included in FB1 or application is otherwise incorrectly optimized for FB1/FB2; this could happen for example when some environmental things change between Sequencer and client and therefore on the client the application suddenly utilizes code-path that wasn't covered in Sequencer. But exactly WHY some applications do not launch when having less than 100% is beyond me, maybe someone else have more insights on it/have traced it?

/Kalle

Thursday, June 26, 2008 8:12 AM