game shortcuts commandline parameters (win7 RC) RRS feed

• Question

• One of the few (new) thinks I liked in Vista, was that you could edit program shortcuts with different options.
    eg for a game if you click on it, the default action was taken ans the game was launched.
    But with some games that was not enough and you could add some extra settings.
    But now I can't seem to find where to add 2nd options.
    And not even how to place default parameters. (Cloud make different icons for the different actions then, but that was the good thing in Vista to reduce the number of shortcuts)

eg. default as is Standard play as first action, i could make a 2nd update.

For normal program shortcuts I cans still add parameters, but in the game folder that is greyed-out.
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 12:54 PM

Answers

• Jorgen,

I was not aware of any feature in Windows Vista which allowed you to add more than one set of shortcut parameters; at any rate, Windows 7 does not currently have this feature. The \Start Menu\Programs\Games\ folder does block you from adding editing these by default, but you can always change the parameters from elsewhere and then move the shortcut.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!
    -Alex
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:59 PM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:59 PM

All replies

• It sounds like a permissions problem. The Security tab, as admin, should let you give that user rights to modify the shortcut.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Hi,

I checked the permissions of the  files (shortcuts) and containing folders.
    Everywhere is stated that i have full control.
    if you open the "game folder" by right cliking on start menu, you get a different view where there is even no properties.
    This is a special view, as in vista, but in vista you could change and add options.

To me it more seems like an design option.
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:25 PM
  • _Jorgen,

If you create a shortcut to the game on your desktop, you can add parameters to the startup line and/or target line. Then name it appropriately and drag it to the game folder or button. You will make a copy of it in there, then delete the shortcut from your desktop or modify again and rename and save again for new options.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:03 AM
    Answerer
  • then you have to start from the actual exe, not a copy from that shortcut.
    And you have for each option you want to add a different icon like I mentioned before.
    Now i have back in XP-style 10 icons where in Vista I had only one.
    I find it strange that the different name (play instead of open ) remains, but the added value has disappeared. As far as i can tell anyway.
     Well come to think about it, "added value" ? the game recognition that is no doubt about it is added, but the different options we could make on file type basis already in W98 probably before, but not sure of W95/3.11.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:42 AM
  • Jorgen,

I was not aware of any feature in Windows Vista which allowed you to add more than one set of shortcut parameters; at any rate, Windows 7 does not currently have this feature. The \Start Menu\Programs\Games\ folder does block you from adding editing these by default, but you can always change the parameters from elsewhere and then move the shortcut.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!
    -Alex
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:59 PM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:59 PM
  • If you rightclick in vista on a item in the game menu, you'll see the option "customize" right under "pin to start menu" and "add to quick launch".

Then you could alter 5 extra commands and even the standard play option.

It seems like this will go back to XP style and create different icons and not using the game menu, as for me it has no added value any more.

Don't be sorry if you can't be more helpful (except if your the guy who forgot to implement/program this) ;p

Customize seems to be dropped in favour of "more games by Microsoft" and on a different place.

so less functionality and more commercials.

Sorry for ranting due to my disappointment.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:08 PM