none
project have resource which is not in enterprise resource pool RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting notification on project that the following assignments have been updated.

The assignments you own below have changed.

Assigned to:

Task Name: 

Start: Remaining Work:  Completion: etc

I am not a project manager of the project neither owner. I m administrator.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Project Help,

Maybe you should give more details if you want to have an helpful help from experts on the forum.

Cheers.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 6:01 PM
  • Hi,

I noticed there is a resource in project who is not added to enterprise resource pool.....

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 6:04 PM
  • If the project manager in Ms Project Pro either 

• created manually a resource in the resource sheet
    • or entered a resource name directly in the resource name column

MS Project will create a local resource (except if it is the exact same syntax than an enterprise resource from the enterprise pool then Project will ask to replace the local resource by the enterprise resource).

Below a screenshot of the resource sheet view showing a local resource (note the icon in the first column) and an enterprise resource.

If the enterprise resource corresponding to the local one exists in the enterprise resource pool, you can open the project team (build team from enterprise), select on the left part the enterprise resource and on the right part the local resource from the project then click "replace".

Doing this, all remaining work will be assigned to the enterprise resource. Then of course publish the project.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 6:11 PM
  • but the resources added is a contractor we will not add resource in PWA

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 6:17 PM
  • I'm a bit confused since you just edited your first message that asks a different question.

Concerning the assignment update, you should check in the project inserting the "assignment owner" who is the assignment owner for the task in question. It should be by default the resource itself, but it can have been changed to your account by mistake or for any reason.

Concerning the contractor, you have the choice to create it as a local resource or as a enterprise resource. It is strongly adviced to use enterprise resources if you want to be able to agregate data through reporting. Moreover you cannot associate custom field to local resources. As an advice, you could use a generic resource for the contractor, such as "contractor A" (associated or not to an user account).

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 6:35 PM
  • Project Help --

It sounds like you are the Default Assignment Owner for the resource in question.  First of all, navigate to the Tasks page in PWA and locate the assignments in question.  Look in the Resource Name column for the resource who is actually assigned to the tasks.

Next, I would recommend that you navigate to the Resource Center page, select the checkbox for only this resource, and then click the Edit Resource button to check out this resource for editing using the PWA interface.  In the Assignment Attributes section of the page, locate the Default Assignment Owner field.  My guess is that you will see your name there, or perhaps no name at all.  Click the Browse button and select the name of this resource in the Pick Resource dialog, and then click the Save button to save these changes.

Finally, the PM of this project will need to open the project or projects containing the tasks that you are seeing.  He/she will need to apply the Resource Usage view and then temporarily insert the Assignment Owner column to the right of the Resource Name column.  He/she will need to set the Assignment Owner to the name of the resource for all tasks assigned to that particular resource, then save and publish the project.

Please let us know if this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:12 PM