none
DPM 2010 error 3301 - Tape Library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library (x64 based) could not be contacted. All jobs for Tape Library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library (x64 based) will fail if the connection is not established. RRS feed

• Question

• Since a few days, DPM 2010 fails all tape backups:

In DPM:

Tape Library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library (x64 based) could not be contacted. All jobs for Tape Library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library (x64 based) will fail if the connection is not established.
    (ID 3301)

In Windows Eventviewer:

Tape Library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library (x64 based) could not be contacted. All jobs for Tape Library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library (x64 based) will fail if the connection is not established. (ID: 3301) DPM encountered an error while attempting to control the autoloader on library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library (x64 based) (ID: 25100)
       1e785850-f6dc-41a0-b7bd-9ff42f291349
       **ComputerName.domain**
       ** ComputerName**

1e785850-f6dc-41a0-b7bd-9ff42f291349

Library not available
       411a70f4-10ab-4e36-9e4b-9cb547d69e02
       Tape Library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library (x64 based) could not be contacted. All jobs for Tape Library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library (x64 based) will fail if the connection is not established. (ID: 3301) DPM encountered an error while attempting to control the autoloader on library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library (x64 based) (ID: 25100)

DPM 2010 (V 3.0.7706.0), running on Windows Server 2008 Standard, SP2, 64-bit
    HP Server (Proc. Xeon CPU 5140@2.33GHz (2 proc), 19GB RAM)
    TapeLib: HP MSL4048 with 2 SAS Ultrium-4 1760 tape drivers£
    DPM setup : Disk2Disk2Tape

On first view I would expect there is something wrong with the HP Tapelib.  However this is not true.  Why?

HP Library & Tape Tools give no error.
       (HP MSL 4048 with two SAS Ultrium-4 1760 tape drives)
       Nor for the Library Changer, Nor for the Library Tape drives

Updated the firmware of the Tape library and Tape drives to the latest version (done with HP-LTT)
       lib: 7.8 / 3.10e
       drivers: U61W

Updated the Windows drivers to the latest version (done with HP-LTT)
       Media Changer: 1.9.0.0 dd 3/06/2009
       Tape Drive: 1.0.6.3 dd 7/10/2010

When disabling windows drivers, the associated drive/changer is not seen in HP-LTT

With Web-GUI of the Tape Library I can perform all tasks without any problem

In DPM 2010
       Inventory Library works fine (both Fast and detailed)
       I can recover files from tape
       I can backup one protected volume at a time by selecting a protected volume an create a "Long term tape protection" point

However when I select more than one protected volume, all but the first one are failed with the above mentioned error.  The same happens when a job starts to backup a complete protection group.

No error with the Disk2Disk backup, only with the Disk2Tape backup part

Has somenone else experience a similar behavior of DPM

Could this indicate the DPM database is corrupt?

Ray 

• Moved by MarcReynolds Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:01 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:17 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

Finally I found the reason why the tape backup failed:

A Bad Tape reported as incompatible medium

This was reported only in the Details View in the Warning Trace log (Suport tab - Library Logs) in the HP StorageWorks MSL4048 WebView

12.02.06 11:55:01.54  Libctrl task Error - IR: incompatible medium
         Return status: 0x80 - command failed
         Global error code: 0x51 - IR: incompatible medium
         Command code: 0x17 - introduce cart
         Task originator: 0x0F - Remote management interface
         Extender library specifier: 0x00 - master library
         Source element type.: 0x02 - storage slot
         Element number: 0x03, 3
         Destination element type.: 0x04 - tape drive
         Element number: 0x02, 2
         Component ID type: 0x02 - medium PVT (barcode)
         Component ID: LTO285L4

In the Inventory Status, the tape is NOT marked with "X Media Error"

When monitoring the Library or Drive Status and System Status when starting a tape backup in DPM, none of these monitor pages showed that a tape was moved into one of the drives

Only a forced "Move Media" Operation from the defect tape to one of the drives indicated that the tape was bad.  None of the drives accepted the bad tape

So after removing the bad tape from the Library, all backups went fine

This again confirms that DPM is NOT company ready if you need tape backup, even in an Disk-to-Disk-to-Tape set-up.  The lack of self healing or error correction when DPM uses a bad tape is realy pathetic:

• failing of the tape backup
    • excluding the tape drive until you clean the drive
    • Current running tape backup of a a protection group will not use the dirty tape drive (even after cleaning)
    • Using again the bad tape resulting in again failing the backup

The most time I spent to DPM is dealing with bad tape (drives)

The most important lesson I have learned is that before starting solving tape problems with DPM, be sure only brand new tapes are in the library!

Ray

PS to bkpfast and Mike J.

Thanks for the usefull input

Special to Mike: The error file w.r.t the TapeLibrary is LAAgentCurr.errlog i.s.o. DPMLaCurr.errlog

• Marked as answer by Ray June Monday, February 6, 2012 4:33 PM
    • Edited by Ray June Monday, February 6, 2012 4:35 PM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 4:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would try following:
    - Shutdown DPM
    - Shutdown Library
    - Power On Library
    - Power On DPM
    - ReRead Library within DPM
    - Modify PG - relselect Library - check if number of usable drives is correct - save
    - make sure Library is in random mode
    - inventory

-test

regards

/bkpfast

Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Hi bkpfast,

I did those actions already, but this didn't solve the problem

Ray

Thursday, February 2, 2012 5:00 PM
  • Hi,

I think this is the key element in the error you are receiving.

<snip>
    DPM encountered an error while attempting to control the autoloader on library Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library (x64 based) (ID: 25100)
    >snip<

This basically is telling me that dpmla is getting an error while trying to communicate with the changer device.  Some details of the error should be in the LAAgentCurr.errlog  in the c:\program files\microsoft dpm\do\pm\temp folder.   Start by stopping dpmla service (net stop dpmla) when no backups are running or scheduled.   Rename the current dpmlacurr.errlog, then start two new backups so we get the failure.  After the failure, look in the LAAgentCurr.errlog  and see if you can see why it's failing.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 3, 2012 3:23 AM
  • Hi all,

Finally I found the reason why the tape backup failed:

A Bad Tape reported as incompatible medium

This was reported only in the Details View in the Warning Trace log (Suport tab - Library Logs) in the HP StorageWorks MSL4048 WebView

12.02.06 11:55:01.54  Libctrl task Error - IR: incompatible medium
         Return status: 0x80 - command failed
         Global error code: 0x51 - IR: incompatible medium
         Command code: 0x17 - introduce cart
         Task originator: 0x0F - Remote management interface
         Extender library specifier: 0x00 - master library
         Source element type.: 0x02 - storage slot
         Element number: 0x03, 3
         Destination element type.: 0x04 - tape drive
         Element number: 0x02, 2
         Component ID type: 0x02 - medium PVT (barcode)
         Component ID: LTO285L4

In the Inventory Status, the tape is NOT marked with "X Media Error"

When monitoring the Library or Drive Status and System Status when starting a tape backup in DPM, none of these monitor pages showed that a tape was moved into one of the drives

Only a forced "Move Media" Operation from the defect tape to one of the drives indicated that the tape was bad.  None of the drives accepted the bad tape

So after removing the bad tape from the Library, all backups went fine

This again confirms that DPM is NOT company ready if you need tape backup, even in an Disk-to-Disk-to-Tape set-up.  The lack of self healing or error correction when DPM uses a bad tape is realy pathetic:

• failing of the tape backup
    • excluding the tape drive until you clean the drive
    • Current running tape backup of a a protection group will not use the dirty tape drive (even after cleaning)
    • Using again the bad tape resulting in again failing the backup

The most time I spent to DPM is dealing with bad tape (drives)

The most important lesson I have learned is that before starting solving tape problems with DPM, be sure only brand new tapes are in the library!

Ray

PS to bkpfast and Mike J.

Thanks for the usefull input

Special to Mike: The error file w.r.t the TapeLibrary is LAAgentCurr.errlog i.s.o. DPMLaCurr.errlog

• Marked as answer by Ray June Monday, February 6, 2012 4:33 PM
    • Edited by Ray June Monday, February 6, 2012 4:35 PM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 4:28 PM