Licencing App-v without Terminal Services and MDOP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can any one tell me for definate what the licence options for App-V running locally on the windows desktop (NOT on TS) please? I have been told that:

1. It can only be licenced with an MDOP subscription / desktop / year
    2. It can now (as of Sept 2010) be licenced directly / desktop (one off payment) OR as a subscription / desktop / year
    3. That MDOP can only be purchased if you have Software Assurance (SA) on your desktop
    4. That MDOP can be puchased without SA for your desktop.

There is absolutely nothing I can find on the Microsoft website.  I find it hard to believe that an existing customer with windows desktops and no SA would be expected to re-puchase there desktops with SA, and then buy MDOP just to get a app-v CAL!!! (though it is not beyond the relms of possibility....)

Any definitive help on this would be REALLY appriciated!!

Regards

Andrew

Friday, September 17, 2010 1:29 PM

Answers

• These pages should answer your licensing questions and they don't look to have changed recently:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/software-assurance/mdop.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/software-assurance/faq.aspx#faq_4

Also note that MDOP includes more than App-V:

• Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V)
    • Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V)
    • Microsoft Advanced Group Policy Management (AGMP)
    • Microsoft Asset Inventory Service (AIS)
    • Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset (DaRT)
    • Microsoft System Center Desktop Error Monitoring (DEM)

So it would be worth understanding the full value of SA/MDOP (I realise that's no comfort if all you want is App-V for Desktops).

Friday, September 17, 2010 2:03 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

I have nw contacted Microsoft licencing (in parallel with this thread), and, indeed you must re-licence your OS, but SA and the by MDOP in order to run App-V.

Having looked at the costs, I think it's game over I'm afraid. I have a sneaking suspission that an over-enthusiastic product/licencing manager may have been involved in this excessive "licence chaining" that Microsoft (and others) apear to love so much.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Andrew

Monday, September 20, 2010 7:18 AM

All replies

• This article should give you links to the right information: http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/deployment/app-v-faq-3-how-is-app-v-licensed

If not, please let me know.

Friday, September 17, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the quick turn around. No - I still need confirmation (the article is July 2010) as to whether or not the App-V CAL can be brough separately as of Sept 2010????

Also, How does Microsoft address the licencing of App-V for customers who have existing desktops without SA? Are they effectively saying dont use App-V, or, if you want to use it then please completely re-licence with SA and MDOP????? I find this hard to believe....???

Regards

Andrew

Friday, September 17, 2010 1:48 PM
  • Thanks for the quick turn around. No - I still need confirmation (the article is July 2010) as to whether or not the App-V CAL can be brough separately as of Sept 2010????
    I'm not aware of any recent licensing changes. The App-V or MDOP blogs haven't posted anything to that effect.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 1:56 PM
  • These pages should answer your licensing questions and they don't look to have changed recently:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/software-assurance/mdop.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/software-assurance/faq.aspx#faq_4

Also note that MDOP includes more than App-V:

• Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V)
    • Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V)
    • Microsoft Advanced Group Policy Management (AGMP)
    • Microsoft Asset Inventory Service (AIS)
    • Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset (DaRT)
    • Microsoft System Center Desktop Error Monitoring (DEM)

So it would be worth understanding the full value of SA/MDOP (I realise that's no comfort if all you want is App-V for Desktops).

Friday, September 17, 2010 2:03 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

So how do I licence my existing no-SA desktops for app-v (short of re-licencing them all with SA and MDOP)?

Regards

Andrew

Friday, September 17, 2010 2:54 PM
  • Hello,

You would need to have SA and MDOP for those desktops aswell....

/Znack

Friday, September 17, 2010 3:04 PM
  • lol - Citrix here I come. A classic example of driving away your customers with poor licencing. - oh well.....
    Friday, September 17, 2010 3:13 PM
  • If you have a Microsoft account manager, you should clarify licensing with them. I would also recommend letting them know that you would like to by App-V for desktops without SA. The more people that do, the more likely Microsoft is to consider changing the licensing requirements.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 3:19 PM
  • Hello,

I would LOVE to find a customer that has started using and kept on using CTX Streaming. (never seems to happen)

Anychance you are located in Sweden?

/Znack

Friday, September 17, 2010 10:15 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

I have nw contacted Microsoft licencing (in parallel with this thread), and, indeed you must re-licence your OS, but SA and the by MDOP in order to run App-V.

Having looked at the costs, I think it's game over I'm afraid. I have a sneaking suspission that an over-enthusiastic product/licencing manager may have been involved in this excessive "licence chaining" that Microsoft (and others) apear to love so much.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Andrew

Monday, September 20, 2010 7:18 AM
  • Hi Znack,

Sorry - we are in the UK, and it does not look like we are going to deploy App-V technology anyway.

Regards

Andrew

Monday, September 20, 2010 7:19 AM