Change and customize Windows 7 Logon Screen Wallpaper Script RRS feed

• Question

• Hello To All the Scripting Gurus',

I know this can be done, but I've only found that this can be done manually. I'm looking for a batch file or script that will change and customize the Windows 7 Logon screen wallpaper. I have an image for it. I'm just looking for the batch file or scrpt to do it, so I can use the batch file or a script to use in Configuration Manager 2012 and push out to all 800 production machines.

Thanks,

J

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 7:25 PM

Answers

• While I'm in complete agreement that this should absolutely be handled via Group Policy, I'll just throw out a few tips for your eventual configmgr script.

If you use the package/program model to deploy it, don't forget that it'll run as a 32bit process (sysnative is your friend). Also, include the background in the package and just copy it from the current directory, it'll be easier than trying to mess around with network access.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,700+ strong and growing)

• Marked as answer by sothpaw73 Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:33 PM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:02 AM

All replies

• You don't need a script. Use Group Policy.

Bill

• Proposed as answer by jrv Wednesday, March 5, 2014 10:03 PM
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:59 PM
  • Management does not want to do this through GPO, so I need a script to use for Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 to push out to 800 machines.

Thanks,

J

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 11:11 PM
  • Management does not want to do this through GPO, so I need a script to use for Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 to push out to 800 machines.

Thanks,

J

Have you asked you admins how to do this.  You have to copy the file to all systems and just use config manager to set the registry keys.  It does not require a script.

I am sure you domain admins can set this up much faster with a GPO.

There are a dozen scripts in the Gallery for setting the wallpaper.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 11:43 PM
  • You have asked this same question all over the place.

This thread you posted on has many methods:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en-US/b19a1d11-7ad4-4ee6-9ae8-c1ec7d3702a7/script-to-change-logon-wallpaper-on-windows-xp-and-7-?forum=ITCG

Why do you keep asking the question when it was answered before?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 11:46 PM
  • Here are a dozen scripts to change wallpaper:
    http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/site/search?query=wallpaper&f%5B0%5D.Value=wallpaper&f%5B0%5D.Type=SearchText&ac=4

You will have to adapt the  to SCCM.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 11:51 PM
  • Management does not want to do this through GPO

Why not? That's the correct and supported way to do it. Saying that management doesn't want to do it this way doesn't mean that someone will write a script for you.

It would not be a good use of someone's time to write such a script when there is already a supported means of setting wallpaper (GPO). If you really want to do it with a script, then I recommend hiring a qualified consultant, although they're probably going to ask you the same question (why do this, when you can do it easily from a GPO?).

Bill

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 11:51 PM
  • While I'm in complete agreement that this should absolutely be handled via Group Policy, I'll just throw out a few tips for your eventual configmgr script.

If you use the package/program model to deploy it, don't forget that it'll run as a 32bit process (sysnative is your friend). Also, include the background in the package and just copy it from the current directory, it'll be easier than trying to mess around with network access.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,700+ strong and growing)

• Marked as answer by sothpaw73 Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:33 PM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:02 AM
  • Wow Mike.  That is a cool offering.  First we need a script and that can be an issue in SCCM.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, March 6, 2014 2:16 AM
  • All,

First I am an administrator (definitely a newb when it comes to scripting though), and I don't handle the GPO stuff, our domain administrator handles that. My realm is CM 2012; and I know if something can be done in a script I can usually get the script to work in CM 2012.

When this was brought up as a project and put on my project plate to do, I asked that very question to them why not do this through GPO? They did not really answer that question, so I can only speculate that my co-worker who is the domain admin and handles the GPO stuff probably did not want more added to his project plate.

Anyway, I'll take this information back to our management team to tell them this should be done through Group Policy. I would like to thank the three of you for responding to post, and I hope you all have a great day.

Thanks again,

J

Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:48 PM
  • In CM 2012 you would put the wallpaper change into an image and deploy the image. 

For a network requirement of all desktops using the same wallpaper or logon screen this would always be done with GP.

Why write scripts when the system is designed to use GP.  Your managers need a presentation on what CM is and what problems it is designed to solve.  Apparently your admins need this too.

SCCM and CM step in where GP cannot go.  They do not replace GP.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:59 PM