none
Shared Resource Pool creates multiple calendars in Projects (Project Profession 2013) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small programme, a total of 18 individual plans including the Resource Pool, the resource pool seems to be creating individual calendars for each active resource these calendars (e.g. Resource Fred has a line ID of 9 in the Resource sheet and a calendar MyCal9 is created) these Calendars are then copied into each of the Projects in which the resources are active.

I have not seen this before and it seems so inefficient (and makes the Project .mpp files huge) that I am concerned that some sort of corruption has crept in, is this the case or is this how Project 2013 works?

Nigel Parsons

Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:15 AM

Answers

• Linking between files uses a very old windows technology called DDE. It is DDE that is flawed, so the same problems apply to two linked Excel workbooks, it's not a Project problem. Over-writing, renaming, moving files or storing on remote servers all incurs a risk of file corruption from DDE flaws. Citrix should be ok provided the Citrix servers and teh server holding teh files are physically in the same building (not linked over a WAN).

Copying and unzipping etc I recommend NOT linking. To create a consolidated view insert all sub-projects into a new file with link option OFF. This consolidates all data (including resources) and provides a great reporting tool.

Record a macro to make creating new copies quick and easy.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Friday, December 19, 2014 7:21 PM

All replies

• Nigel --

I have seen this behavior before with a shared resource pool.  The behavior indicates that the shared resource pool file is corrupted.  The solution would be to disconnect every sharing project from the shared resource pool file with the shared resource pool file in Read/Write mode, then to save all of the files and close them.  Open each project individually and delete all of the extra resource calendars.  Once you have done this to cleanse the sharing projects of the resource corruption, you will need to create a new shared resource pool file.  The easiest way to do this is to open a new blank project and to save it using the name of the old shared resource pool file.  Then open each sharing project and connect it to the new shared resource pool file.  I realize it is a bit of work, but manageable with only 18 sharing projects.  Please let us know if this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:14 PM
  • Dale forgot to mention that from now on, never rename, over-write, move or store any of the files (including the resource pool) on any disk drive that isn't in the same building as you. To do so rolls the file corruption dice each time.

Rod Gill

Thursday, December 18, 2014 7:12 PM
  • Hi Rod,

Thanks for the warning, unfortunately...I'm recovering from an operation consequently I am zipping the files from the companies network and copying/unzipping to my own drive to maintain etc.  The company is in the very early stages of transition to Enterprise Office 365 however until then I must make do with a citrix link.  Is this what you mean by 'rolling the dice' and secondly, I'm fascinated why would this activity 'roll the dice'?

I will try Dales suggestion in the (GMT) morning.

Many thanks

Nigel

Nigel Parsons

Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:16 PM
  • Linking between files uses a very old windows technology called DDE. It is DDE that is flawed, so the same problems apply to two linked Excel workbooks, it's not a Project problem. Over-writing, renaming, moving files or storing on remote servers all incurs a risk of file corruption from DDE flaws. Citrix should be ok provided the Citrix servers and teh server holding teh files are physically in the same building (not linked over a WAN).

Copying and unzipping etc I recommend NOT linking. To create a consolidated view insert all sub-projects into a new file with link option OFF. This consolidates all data (including resources) and provides a great reporting tool.

Record a macro to make creating new copies quick and easy.

Rod Gill

Friday, December 19, 2014 7:21 PM