My Windows Vista Home Basic Crashed, Can't get to safe mode or 'erecovery management'...get operating system not found error RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Acer Aspire 5516 running Windows Vista Home Basic. I was running my usual virus scan & in the middle of it my system crashed. I had a blue screen telling me a major problem was detected & my system was shut down. I followed the instructions & shut down my system. When I restarted my computer the "acer" logo came up & then went to a black screen stating "operating system not found". This is when I found out I didn't receive a recovery disc with my computer because it is 'built in' to the system. I searched & found out how to get to it. First I tried to get into 'safe mode' using F8...that didn't work...then I tried the 'Alt F10" to get to the "erecovery management system"..that didn't work either. Nothing is working. What I am wondering is if I can install a Windows XP Home edition that I have from my previous laptop without losing all my files? Can I install it on a partition? If so, how do I do that? I've read quite a bit on how to do it through the Windows help file & I think I understand it. However, I don't want to try it before someone can tell me it will work & I won't lose all my info. I am on a very low fixed income & cannot afford to really take it to someone to recover my files & get me up and running again. PLEASE, if there is anyone that can help me I would be forever grateful!  Thank You!
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Sunday, June 12, 2011 4:53 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Setup)
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 2:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please try Using Last Known Good Configuration to check if you can log in the system.If the issue persists, it is probably a hardware issue. However, you can try to install Windows XP on another partition which is called parallel install. This won't format the previous data stored on the hard drive. Just do it carefully without trying any option saying format the hard drive.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:05 AM