Power Query doesn't show SharePoint Lists RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just installed Power Query on my machine (in German). When I try to access SharePoint Lists from my O365 tenant (accessing a site that is created in german), I don't see any lists at all. When I create a new subsite in english, I do see all the lists - seems like it's related to the site's language.

Is there any fix available for this problem?

Monday, July 28, 2014 12:26 PM

Answers

• No, or not easily :(. The design of the SharePoint.Tables function has an improper dependency on being able to recognize column names in the OData result. It turns out that these are localized with no strong identifier that's consistent across languages. We're still trying to figure out how to fix this.

You may be able to make your scenario work by using "From OData Feed" and giving it an URL of http://my-sharepoint-site/_vti_bin/ListData.svc.

Monday, July 28, 2014 3:38 PM
  • Does this error go away if you clear the cache and then try again? The cache can be cleared from the "Options" button on the Power Query ribbon.

I know that the "From SharePoint" function tries to provide a nicer view over your SharePoint lists than the one you get directly from the raw OData feed, but I don't know enough about the SharePoint API to know why you're seeing three lists instead of one.

• Marked as answer by Henning Eiben Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:45 PM
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:40 PM

All replies

• No, or not easily :(. The design of the SharePoint.Tables function has an improper dependency on being able to recognize column names in the OData result. It turns out that these are localized with no strong identifier that's consistent across languages. We're still trying to figure out how to fix this.

You may be able to make your scenario work by using "From OData Feed" and giving it an URL of http://my-sharepoint-site/_vti_bin/ListData.svc.

Monday, July 28, 2014 3:38 PM
  • Well, this works - Kind of. I can now see all my lists, but I cannot open a certain list:

Expression.Error: Der Schlüssel entsprach keiner Zeile in der Tabelle.
    Details:
        Key=Record
        Table=Table

(Translation: the key does not match a row in the table)

Strange enough: I have three lists in the odata-view in power query, while I only have one list in sharepoint. Seems like there are separate entries in the odata list overview for the choice columns in my list.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:42 AM
  • Does this error go away if you clear the cache and then try again? The cache can be cleared from the "Options" button on the Power Query ribbon.

I know that the "From SharePoint" function tries to provide a nicer view over your SharePoint lists than the one you get directly from the raw OData feed, but I don't know enough about the SharePoint API to know why you're seeing three lists instead of one.

• Marked as answer by Henning Eiben Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:45 PM
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:40 PM
  • Yeah - that did the Job!
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:44 PM